• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Twelve Kingdoms Novel 3

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:16 am Reply with quote
I'm really glad that the Twelve Kingdoms novels are still going, given that Tokyopop has pretty much discontinued. Definitely will be buying this. I haven't seen the anime yet, but the novels have been facinating.

Still, wish I could hear some news about FMP (and Boogiepop for that matter, even though it's Seven Seas).
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:14 am Reply with quote
Yes, I'm also glad it continued. I'm not happy that the editorial and publishing integrity that made the first two books so outstanding is gone. The quality of this book, even from a purely physical side (paper and ink), is lower than the previous two. Still, I hope that these books will continue to come.

Can't wait to start reading it tomorrow, since I'll finish the book I'm currently reading tonight.
Ligene

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:36 am Reply with quote
Just finished it a couple days ago; the beginning was rather slow, but that seems to be the case for all of them, but the reward was very much worth the wait. Especially considering the last arc had a lot to be desired for (rushed pacing, for one) - so I was in heaven with all the nitty-gritty details going on. Laughing

Although I have to disagree with the timeline problem you mentioned: they do give you a timeline, its just in the text instead in the front of the book; and you kinda assume that it's En's early days since it's such a contrast to the last two times we saw En in the previous books, both which portrayed a very prosperous land. Rokuta even mentioned on page 21, "Twenty years and only this?'"

And yes, I am a dork.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:30 am Reply with quote
Whoops, I totally forgot this book was on its way so soon ("soon" heh, yeah...well, better slow and steady than what we got with Kino)! I'll have to hurry up and finish Xenocide so I can start on this next volume (and probably re-watch those last few episodes of the anime again, since the last two times--out of three or four, hah--that I've watched the series I stopped after Youko's story is concluded around episode 40). Thanks for the review and the head's-up!
Key

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:42 am Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
(and probably re-watch those last few episodes of the anime again, since the last two times--out of three or four, hah--that I've watched the series I stopped after Youko's story is concluded around episode 40).

Same here; while the third story arc (especially volume 9, which includes episodes 36-40) I regularly rewatch, preparing for this review may be the first time since I originally saw the series that I've rewatched the last arc.

If they keep to schedule, next year we should get the book which covers the third arc, and then after that finally the book which resolves Taiki's situation (which was not animated). I just hope Tokyopop keeps up with the series that long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:56 am Reply with quote
Ooh! I am glad to see this is out- I had no idea if Tokyopop was still deciding to release the rest of this series or not. I read and enjoyed the first book, but held out on buying the second because A. I hate owning mixed paperback and hardcover books from the same series, and B. I wasn't sure if the series would continue to be released.

Also, I think it's a great disservice to the book that it only appears in the manga section of bookstores. This should be placed in the fantasy and YA sections as well, because it's a solid book that I think would certainly get a broader appeal than *just* manga fans.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I have yet to read this volume, it just arrived the other day.

But...

BleuVII wrote:
The quality of this book, even from a purely physical side (paper and ink), is lower than the previous two. Still, I hope that these books will continue to come.

Thank You!

I thought I was being a nillyhammer for taking notice of such a thing. But I was miffed when I saw they used paperback quality paper in the hardcover edition! The first two had decent paper quality, but this one looks like it will start turning yellow after the first reading.

Bad call Tokyopop, if your going to put out two versions, then put them out properly. Mad

Of course I am glad this series is still being released, I pre-orderd the book as soon as it was available. But come on, it's supposed to be a hardcover. Save the cheap paper for the cheaper release. Raise the hardcover price a buck or two(this release was already $1 more than the other two), I don't care, most of the people who are buying this book will do so regardless. But don't pull this kind of crap.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote
I have it waiting in my "to buy" pile at work. I need to reread vol 2 before I finally get to 3, but I'm looking forward to it, and ecstatic that Tokyopop is continuing it. Glad to see a review for it.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc, littlegreenwolf and I have been having the exact same discussion over on the novels subforum.

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=40794&start=45

Seriously though, as someone who is just getting into publishing, I've learned that the paper you use really communicates a lot to your fans. They don't even notice it unless it's not right, but it should be a publisher's goal to make them oblivious.

Not like I want to enact a boycott or recall or anything, but I think it would be a good idea to write some letters to Tokyopop. I know that they really do try to listen to their fans.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Same here; while the third story arc (especially volume 9, which includes episodes 36-40) I regularly rewatch, preparing for this review may be the first time since I originally saw the series that I've rewatched the last arc.

Yep, Youko is <3 <3 <3 and while the Everking is also <3 the way that last arc just...drops off makes rewatching it kind of pointless, until now anyway.

Jadress wrote:
Also, I think it's a great disservice to the book that it only appears in the manga section of bookstores.

The first two Twelve Kingdoms books were in the YA section of my local B&N and later the paperbacks appeared with the manga (as well(?)). I'll probably buy this one online so I may not see if it gets the same in-store treatment.
asgiov

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Oh jeez... it's out?!
Gotta work on catching up.

Mostly just done with book 1.... -.-;;
Dahling

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
oh, yay!! I found the first two a little hard to follow/stick with, but I still want to read them. Smile Glad to know it'll show up soon!!
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:05 am Reply with quote
Ligene wrote:
Although I have to disagree with the timeline problem you mentioned: they do give you a timeline, its just in the text instead in the front of the book; and you kinda assume that it's En's early days since it's such a contrast to the last two times we saw En in the previous books, both which portrayed a very prosperous land. Rokuta even mentioned on page 21, "Twenty years and only this?'"

If people want to figure out where this story falls chronologically relative to Youko's story, IIRC the first novel gives at least an approximation of how long the King of En has been ruling.
maaya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:17 am Reply with quote
please review more (light) novels Very Happy (guardian of the spirit?)
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:27 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
please review more (light) novels Very Happy (guardian of the spirit?)

Oh! Yes! I want to see that review. And Guardian of the Darkness is coming out in a couple of months too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2