• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime OP/ED Recommendation Thread.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Samuknight wrote:

Why are anime openings so well done that they are worthy of being an individually sold albums and actual great songs even if they were not the opening?Why do anime composers put so much heart and effort to make anime openings as awesome as they are even for the worst animes such as Dragon Ball GT and Genma Wars?

Why do anime producers*including those who are producing budget anime with very little money for the anime's production) go as far as hiring professional orchestra composers and actual singers just to make the opening of an anime and why do anime composers always have to make anime openings as long as actual songs(well in fact its just a cartoon opening)?

Why are anime openings so awesome?

I just now noticed your question. I believe that this subject has been covered in an Answerman column. IIRC, it has to do with the production committee structure -- basically a music label will contribute money in order to create a platform to promote one of their artists. The same thing applies to EDs as well.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:34 am Reply with quote
Well, I got one for the great KOTOKO.

From one of my all time favorites, Destiny of the Shrine Maiden.

KOTOKO - Re-sublmity and agony

KOTOKO's fantastic epic techno song is not only catchy as hell but, WOW does it get you pumped up. Feels so futuristic compared to most songs I've heard. Made me look forward to what will happen the next episode, and this show is centered more on Chikane and Himeko than the action itself.

Re-sublimty
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Hln_3v6E0k

agony
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQjMZbob4mM

Of course, another favorite: Attack on Titan - Guren no Yamiya

Hot damn, this might be my 2nd favorite, tied to Death Note's 2nd OP song.
Not only does this song brilliantly capture the tone of this show, but so does the way the shows intro just captures your attention with so much destruction and fear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OkpRK2_gVs
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Anime OPs/EDs? Aw yeah.

-Fight for Liberty: by UVERworld (from Yamato 2199)
-I absolutely love this band, and every song they've done for an anime to date as been a blast to listen too. This is my favorite song of their's, and it was a hard choice to make.

- Strikeback: By BACK-ON (From Fairy Tail)
-This song hits the key note in all the right places, especially at the point where it airs. This song by itself is great, and is the one of those pump-up songs that can make you smile and get your blood pumping. The english rapping is awesome, and I love how it's a part of all of the band's songs. Easily one of my favorites to date.

-Kyokugen Dreamer: By SCREEN mode (From: Yatterman Night)
-I fell in love with this song the second I heard the chorus play the first time. It got stuck in my head easily.

-bull's eye By nano (From Aria the Scarlet Ammo Double AA)
- This song got me to look up Aria so I could go try and watch the show. Never got around to watching, but this song got my head nodding and foot tapping as the chorus came up.

-hello, shooting star By moumoon (From Assassination Classroom)
-I made the terrible mistake of skipping this ending for the first 17 episodes of the first season. Once I listened to it, I fell in love with it, and it acts like a nice lullaby. It's calming and peaceful. Heck, It's even my alarm in the mornings!

-Into the Sky: By SawanoHiroyuki[nzk] Tielle (From Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn: UC0079)
-As of this post, the show is airing. I wasn't even a Gundam fan when I heard this song when I clicked on the wrong video on Youtube, but it got stuck in my head so quickly...and the best part is the entire song (at least the TV version) is in english. I love this song, no doubt about it. It got me to go watch the re-airing Gundam series, to go watch the original OVA, and now I'm a huge Gundam fan, and already am planning to watch as much as possible over the upcoming summer. The way the words get stuck in your head (at least for me)... Very Happy

-scaPEgoat: By SawanoHiroyuki[nzk] Yosh (From Seraph of the End)
-At first, I hated this song, but I easily became one of my favorites. Maybe because of the message, and the images that played in the ED of the show. Also a fun song to jam out too when nobody's watching.

- Hikari to Kage: By Shinji Kugo (From Casshern Sins)
-I love the OST for Casshern Sins (done by the amazing Kaori Wada). While I love the OP and ED1, this song didn't strike me hard at first. The images that went by as the song played demonstrated somesort of distant emotion, but I could never tell. Then, I found the translations, and this song struck a chord with me. The way it connects to the show, as well as how it connects to how people feel sometimes. It's a sad song, but love listening to it for some odd reason.

- f.t. By Funkist (Fairy Tail OP3)
-Easily my favorite OP to date. The chorus is so fast and the words go flying by, but that's the best part in my opinion. The animation that goes with it is daunting and foreshadowing (a common thing with FT openings), and fits nicely with the song.

- Period By Chemistry (FMAB OP4)
-While I loved every OP before it, this one struck a chord with me almost immediately. The first few seconds, with the drawing of the circle and the two young brothers reaching towards another, drew me in quickly. The lyrics carry the song through animation, which fits perfectly in my opinion.

Honorable mentions to Kyoran Hey Kids!!! (Noragami Aragoto OP), Rewrite (Fullmetal Alchemist 03 OP4), Hikari Sasuhou (Murder Princess OP), Innocent Sorrow and Gekidou (D.Gray-man OP1 and OP4), and Savior of Song (from Arpeggio of Blue Steel) among many more I could list.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:56 am Reply with quote
I recommend anything on this list. Why? I think the site does a good job of explaining why.
Quote:
Ear Worms (from the German phrase Ohrwurm) are those songs that weasel their way into your head like uninvited guests and then proceed to stink up the inside of your cranium by playing themselves there over. And over. And over. And over. They're those songs that just get stuck in your head, and no amount of screaming, pounding, protesting, and banging your head into your desk will get them out. They will check out any time you like, but they will never leave. Someone infected with an Ear Worm may find themselves prone to bursting out into the song in inappropriate places, tugging at their ears in fury, and can end up distracted in the middle of conversation (or other important activities) by the continuous snatches of song wavering between their ears. And it's only a matter of time before, like Darryl Revok, they drill a hole in their forehead to let the voices out.

You may find relief by hunting down the lyrics and learning the words, but this is more effort than most people are willing to expend on a briefly-heard ditty. Worse, if the song is in a language you don't speak, this becomes pretty much impossible. And when the song is an instrumental... Some people also claim that just listening to the song in question from beginning to end could help, because as their theory goes, an Ear Worm really is a fragment of the song stuck in your head, while your mind attempts to resolve how it continues — in vain. Actual success of this method varies (from person to person and from song to song) though, so it might only serve as a temporary release or none at all. And even worse is the fact that some Ear Worms are songs that were made cyclic to begin with (say, video game soundtracks). Therefore, listening the song through will just complete the loop, rendering the Worm Nigh Invulnerable. Naturally, you can always distract yourself with another Ear Worm, but you might find it just as annoying as the first, and some people even develop a "playlist of Ear Worms" this way, being able to switch from one song to the other, but unable to silence them. As a general rule of thumb one could say: The more you care, the worse it gets.

~ TVTropes's article on "Ear Worm"
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
I have not seen these two mentioned yet, so I will post my personal favorites.

Opening: Witch Hunter Robin - Shell by Bana
The really cool echoing guitar leads into some great vocals that really fit the visuals.
One of the later episodes uses an instrumental of this, without the echo, and a guitar solo instead as the end. Its good, but nowhere near as good. Both are on my mp3 player though.

Ending: Zegapain episode 10 - and you by ROCKY CHACK
A one time end, I could not find it on youtube. I did find the full song, set to some artwork from the series, the first 90 seconds of audio comprise what is used in the episode.
The visuals in the real end are basically yukata fanservice, (not lurid, the episode ended with most of the cast attending a summer festival, and the camera pans several nicely detailed images of the main cast in yukatas).
The normal end for Zegapain was great as well, but "and you" blows me away. I can not get it out of my head.
A series that overcomes a horrid first 4 episodes to tell a very interesting story. Revisting the episode in question, I did cringe at the dub after many years. When Bandai went down, I sprung for the singles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6