• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, March 15-21

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:50 pm Reply with quote
WHAAAT? Naruto volume 43 is already on the list?!

Bastards at RightStuf just yesterday shipped out my volumes 42, 43, and 44 (and Zelda volume 4).

sigh...

btw don't take what I say too literally, a'iiight?
LKK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised that Tsubasa: Those With Wings #1 is on the list. I looked at it and decided against it for now. I bought Takaya's other new manga, Phantom Dream, but Tsubasa didn't interest me nearly as much as that one did.
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Yay for Tsubasa: Those With Wings! I'm so happy for it to have gotten on such a list. Although I enjoyed the first volume of Phantom Dream, Tsubasa is the Natsuki Takaya work that I have been eagerly waiting for ever since I first looked up what her other works besides Fruits Basket were (and that was before she finished Furuba--before she started Hoshi wa Utau). I've only been able to read the first two chapters of Tsubasa at this point, but so far I am lovin' it! In fact, I want to read the third chapter right now! (So, why am I writing this? Smile ) I love the main characters, Kotobuki and Raimon--it very much seems like Tsubasa is about their love story, as well as a story about relying on your on strength, your own wings instead of waiting around for or chasing after something or someone that/who you think is just going to give you everything without you working for it. I find that this story relaxes me for some reason. Plus, the artwork is a lot like the artwork at the beginning of Fruits Basket, which I always loved just as much as Takaya-sensei's most recent style. And I'm thrilled that Tokyopop is releasing the more recent special editions with the two volumes in one, the new covers, and the cute new artwork and notes in the back.

I'm relieved that people seem to be giving her second series a chance...I hope they're giving her first series, Phantom Dream, a chance, too...and that they're remembering that these were written in the 90's (1994-1997 for Phantom Dream and 1995-1998 for Tsubasa, I think...of course, Furuba started in 1998 after Tsubasa was done, didn't it?). I think the key to reading her first two series is to look for a Natsuki Takaya-style story with her kind of humor and characters and to not look for Fruits Basket (although you can look for some signs of that series, such as Asashi from Phantom Dream who is reminiscent of Tohru--and Raimon from Tsubasa who sometimes reminds me of Hatsuharu and Shigure, although he's definitely his own character and kind of makes me think of Washu from Tenchi when he calls himself a genius...ah...Raimon...he cracks me up! Very Happy I thought that with his orange hair he looked like Kyo, but he's nothing like Kyo!) I also think that reading Phantom Dream and Tsubasa can give one a better appreciation of the development of a manga-ka's skills and how without Phantom Dream and Tsubasa, and all the time and energy that Takaya-sensei put into these series, Fruits Basket would not have been the series that it became. Being a manga-ka has got to be difficult since you can't go back and revise things in quite the same way as you can with a regular novel, etc. It's all about learning, and I'm sure she's applying what she learned while working on Fruits Basket to Hoshi wa Utau, too.

I am also really enjoying Takaya-sensei's take on a post-apocalyptic future, her optimism (which was always so present, attractive, and comforting in Furuba), and the character's clothes. I'm serious about that last part! Especially Kotobuki and Raimon's clothes. They just seem cool and neat to me... (Although Shoka the thief's clothes are kind of too much...too ornamental, I suppose...her boys know how to dress, though... Anime smile )

Okay, even though this is a sci-fi series, it is very much a character-centric story, so if you like characters and character development with a splash of fun sci-fi, you might want to try reading Tsubasa: Those With Wings. I know I'm excited that I can read it! Anime hyper

Last edited by Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl on Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:32 pm Reply with quote
W00T!!!

Yay for Fruits Basket, yay for Tokyopop! One small step for manga, one giant leap for SHOUJO!!! Very Happy

I hope that this kind of attention keeps Tokyopop alive and kicking. The New York Times rocks! Cool
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
I'm surprised that Tsubasa: Those With Wings #1 is on the list. I looked at it and decided against it for now. I bought Takaya's other new manga, Phantom Dream, but Tsubasa didn't interest me nearly as much as that one did.

Really? I thought Tsubasa: Those With Wings was an improvement from her first series, Phantom Dream. Her style was getting better and I got hooked on the storyline more than I did with Phantom. If you're wondering of the chronology of her series, it's Phantom Dream, Tsubasa: Those With Wings, Fruits Basket, Hoshi wa Utau.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote
YES! Fruits Basket is #1. It's well deserved!
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:39 am Reply with quote
It's good to see 3 Tokyopop series on the list. Let's hope it will help them to get out of the current slump. I'm looking forward to reading Tsubasa..
LKK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:56 am Reply with quote
Hmm, maybe I should give Tsubasa another look-see. I might have been subliminally discouraged from liking it at the time because of the price of the larger book. I've been short on manga funds lately. Perhaps because I knew I couldn't really afford it at the time, I was subconsciously looking at the bad rather than the good so that I wouldn't feel as bad about passing it up. I'll give Tsubasa another try when money isn't so tight. It sounds like a title I ought to like.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
It sounds like a title I ought to like.

If you've read Fruits Basket already then the romantic relationship that develops between the main character and another character will remind you of the relationships that develop in Fruits Basket. I liked the story because of the romance in there, because it made it seem closer to Fruits Basket in that sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1