• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Aria Speedwagon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
This may brand me as sexist, but while I don't like Harem anime, I love reverse-harems. Especially the parodical, self aware type like Ouran (though I also like Fushigi Yugi: Genbu Kaiden...and Saiunkoku Monogatori, etc ) Wink

Just so long as you don't think poorly of those who do watch (and/or are suckers for) harems, me being one of them Wink

DFBTG wrote:
As for Aria...I don't know, sounds lovely, but at the same time slice-of-life shows/movies/etc. aren't really my thing.

You might want to skip it then. I like Slife stuff, but Aria bored me to death, this is my ghost typing right now. I don't really consider myself a cynic, definitely not some one who "let cynicism take over my life," but I just wanted something of interest going on, more than just trying to hide a cat in a dorm or surprise training on a beautiful beach.
I hate to sound like I'm one of "those" guys, but I may very well have been able to watch through it if were dubbed. That way, if things got a bit boring I could leave it as background while jumping online and still hear everything that was happening, but having to stay planted to read it attentively just wore me out halfway through... I had to give it a pass...
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo Dong wrote:
It's all meant to invoke a time period, but it also succeeds in setting the most depressing scene ever.

I dunno. Not that Shigurui isn't a serious anime, but there's sort of an absurdist vein running through the whole series.

Plus, I never felt really down watching it like, say, one would when watching Sansho the Bailiff or Grave of the Fireflies. Dark and tragic Shigurui may be, though I'd never describe it as depressing.

GATSU wrote:
Bamboo Dong wrote:
I was hoping for more from the ending, but it didn't live up to my expectations at all.

Have yet to get my set, but I'm guessing it's because the manga is still ongoing.

Yep. The anime adapts the first six volumes of the manga; the latter is currently on-going at eleven volumes. Though, really, the ending is more satisfying than most other anime I've seen. It provides a good ending point -- both thematically and in the story -- and delivers one of the best fights ever done for the medium. You also don't feel like tearing your hair out like with the Berserk anime.

Also, for some bizarre reason, I'm actually genuinely curious to read your thoughts on Shigurui, Gatsu.

vashfanatic wrote:
All of that doesn't change that this series is really, really disgusting.

Yeah, there are definite moments that can send even the more densensitized folk reeling. There was an interesting post about the Japanese aesthetic of "the beauty of cruelty," and its use of juxtaposition. The post is apparently down, though you can view it in this Google cache of the page. Pretty interesting.
Ryllharu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Not having dual-audio is a reason not to buy something?

Wow, it must be nice to be this spoiled when it comes to your anime.

Seems I could remember a time when I bought VHS tapes and had to decide dub or sub. Which one will I spend my money on this time? Researching through word of mouth and fledgling internet sites which of the two were better. Either way you went, the cost was identical. You are getting thirteen episodes in an ARIA pack for the price of the average single anime DVD with dual audio. The kind that usually only have four episodes on them if you're lucky.

Do I also have to mention that a lot of the specials we never see on anime dvds were included in the first season? Interviews with the actresses, special features with the director doing research trips to the real Venice, etc. I don't remember the last time I ever saw one of those on a dual-audio release of something like Black Lagoon or Full Metal Panic.

If slice of life isn't your thing, that's fine. There are plenty of slice of life series that have bored me to tears. But announcing you're not going to buy (or even consider buying) something solely because it doesn't have dual-audio is something else entirely.

False sense of entitlement indeed.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Ryllharu wrote:

With all due respect, even though I do disagree with the way that the general argument against recent sub-only releases is usually presented, the counter of, "When I first started buying anime..." comes across as being extremely patronizing. It's great and all that anime fans of a decade ago had to deal with much greater financial and selection hardships when purchasing their favorite series, but what you're ignoring is the whole point: such times were in the past. I started my anime fandom in 2005, a time well after the days of single-audio VHS tapes, and I would venture the guess that the majority (or at least large minority) of other regular posters here fall into that same boat. For us, a series getting licensed and a series getting dubbed were mutually inclusive by default, and the fact that we no longer had to deal with such massive inconveniences as those in the VHS days did was something to be celebrated. And though many (but not all) of us understand the current market forces necessitating such releases for certain niche series, that doesn't mean we have to like the situation.

In all honesty, were I a fan of a series that wound up receiving a sub-only release, I would most likely feel rather disappointed, since I see one of the main benefits of a show getting released domestically as being able to experience it in my native language. I would most likely still buy said show, out of a sense of duty to my fandom of it, but I would still feel like I was getting somewhat short-changed in the process. While I haven't run into that specific situation yet (except for something like Dokuro-chan, which is a whole other story Razz), I most likely will eventually; even if I don't, the fact that I intend to purchase Fantastic Children basically qualifies as such, since its dub was poor enough that it might as well not exist as far as I'm concerned.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote
So if I liked Piano, will I like Aria? : )
sykoeent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:20 pm Reply with quote
So I'm looking at the Sailor Moon stuff and WHOA! I RECOGNIZE THAT!!! Lunatic Party!!!! That's the Sailor Moon hentai, right? I have those! And yup, they were! hehehehehe
Nice collection!
BleuVII

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I will also throw in my vote and say thanks for warning us about Shigurui. As someone who became re-sensitized to violence during my college years when I didn't watch TV, this anime sounds kind of depraved. I really don't think that stuff like this should be made, and I see little separation between "entertainment" that is this violent and the Coliseum. One may be real, and one may be animated, but the heart of the audience is still the same.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Ryllharu wrote:

Seems I could remember a time when I bought VHS tapes and had to decide dub or sub. Which one will I spend my money on this time? Researching through word of mouth and fledgling internet sites which of the two were better. Either way you went, the cost was identical. You are getting thirteen episodes in an ARIA pack for the price of the average single anime DVD with dual audio. The kind that usually only have four episodes on them if you're lucky.

Do I also have to mention that a lot of the specials we never see on anime dvds were included in the first season? Interviews with the actresses, special features with the director doing research trips to the real Venice, etc. I don't remember the last time I ever saw one of those on a dual-audio release of something like Black Lagoon or Full Metal Panic.

If slice of life isn't your thing, that's fine. There are plenty of slice of life series that have bored me to tears. But announcing you're not going to buy (or even consider buying) something solely because it doesn't have dual-audio is something else entirely.

False sense of entitlement indeed.

In my opinion, if a show isn't dubbed in English via dvd, then I have better shows to watch. I've only watched maybe three shows without a dub that I thought were alright even without a dub, but typically if there isn't a English audio, I won't purchase or rent.

I actually really like Slice of Life shows. I really enjoyed Lucky Star, Comic Party and Azumanga Diaoh. I probably wouldn't have purchased Lucky Star if there wasn't a english audio. If I am purchasing a dvd, there must be a English audio. If I am renting, I am more lienent, but I will always pick a series that is in English first, since it is the langauage I speak.

Sorry if this came out angry, but that is the way I see it.

As for Aria, even if there was a English audio, I don't think I could enjoy that series. For me to enjoy a slice of life series, there must be some realisim in it. By that I mean to see characters act like average, normal people would act like. In the series defence though, it looks pretty clean.
zhir

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Ryllharu wrote:

Errmmm... FMP!:TSR had interviews, research trips and lots of Japanese commentaries. So, the FMP series may be a bad example.
grapeofdeath

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:04 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
As a fellow person with username that contains a death threat pertaining to a food product, I can say it's probably the latter. We're just that cool. And manly too. Also suave.

Yes, it is the latter, mostly an inside joke, but the David Sedaris' pieces on morgues fits me disturbingly well. And we are just that cool and manly too.

BlackJaded wrote:
Now Damn, thats alot of BlackJack for ya! Was wondering where you get from, If you get it from California, than dang I salute ya. Razz Razz

Just one state above that, actually. It all resides in Oregon.

The Human Spider wrote:
I can't believe it's still not complete. Is that a can of Black Jack chewing tobacco on the bottom?!?

I've actually just recently just completed collecting all the back issues, though more are still being published in Japan. The shelf is quite full.
No, it's just a Black Jack tin that contains all my Black Jack pins. Though I have seen a Black Jack ashtray before.

sykoeent wrote:
So I'm looking at the Sailor Moon stuff and WHOA! I RECOGNIZE THAT!!! Lunatic Party!!!! That's the Sailor Moon hentai, right? I have those!

Yep, it's surprising how many Sailor Moon fans have never heard of the series. It's so well bound that it sits with the rest of my books. My other doujinshi are kept elsewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
oriana3k

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I hope you don't live in California, because seriously, when that next earthquake hits, those books are gonna be all over your face.

I find this lolworthy because we did have an earthquake this morning. Razz But looking at my own shelves....it may be time to invest in cabinets. Confused
babbo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:51 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Ryllharu wrote:

With all due respect, even though I do disagree with the way that the general argument against recent sub-only releases is usually presented, the counter of, "When I first started buying anime..." comes across as being extremely patronizing. It's great and all that anime fans of a decade ago had to deal with much greater financial and selection hardships when purchasing their favorite series, but what you're ignoring is the whole point: such times were in the past. I started my anime fandom in 2005, a time well after the days of single-audio VHS tapes, and I would venture the guess that the majority (or at least large minority) of other regular posters here fall into that same boat. For us, a series getting licensed and a series getting dubbed were mutually inclusive by default, and the fact that we no longer had to deal with such massive inconveniences as those in the VHS days did was something to be celebrated. And though many (but not all) of us understand the current market forces necessitating such releases for certain niche series, that doesn't mean we have to like the situation.

In all honesty, were I a fan of a series that wound up receiving a sub-only release, I would most likely feel rather disappointed, since I see one of the main benefits of a show getting released domestically as being able to experience it in my native language. I would most likely still buy said show, out of a sense of duty to my fandom of it, but I would still feel like I was getting somewhat short-changed in the process. While I haven't run into that specific situation yet (except for something like Dokuro-chan, which is a whole other story Razz), I most likely will eventually; even if I don't, the fact that I intend to purchase Fantastic Children basically qualifies as such, since its dub was poor enough that it might as well not exist as far as I'm concerned.

I think I would have to agree with Ryllharu, that kind of mentality is spoiled. You're the counter part to sub only 'tards, and recently the "I won't buy without a dub" attitude sounds no less ridiculous than any dub hater out there. Heck, they at least can enjoy a series for it's actual merits. You've already acknowledged the problems with the market and niche titles, who the cares if you're not going to buy it without a dub? It's getting kind of annoying seeing people say that in every sub only review when it's happening for obvious reasons that aren't really completely in the industry's control.

Last edited by babbo on Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
rekishi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:46 am Reply with quote
Joichiro Nishi wrote:
rekishi wrote:
a bunch of stuff

Shigurui was directed by Hirotsugu Hamazaki, the same director of Texhnolzye, I started to watch the show for him. I hope you'll watch the rest of the series, it's one of the best series I've ever watched.

ah i see... no wonder it's sitting in my shopping cart at Robert's Anime Corner Store waiting for pay day when i can pay for it... Very Happy

i've been waiting for something similar to Texhnolyze to come out. altho i have a hard time -finding the time- to watch it again,Texhnolyze was seriously good... not too many series these days put so much into the story, without relying on glitzy special effects...

Shigurui looks like the "bastard love child" sequel to Texhnolyze... and i mean that in a good way... that first episode, was meticulous... like every frame had been a key frame with ever nuance put there for a reason. like Texhnolyze... you have to pay attention, since something small could mean something big later on.

so yeah... you can bet your bolliks at a barn dance i'm getting Shigurui...

p.s. crap... now i feel like watching Texhnolyze again before Shigurui arrives in the mail... well... there goes my weekend... Confused (Razz)
jgreen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit, I find the sub-only hating in this thread somewhat mystifying. I mean, yeah, I'm a dub guy myself, and will usually watch the dub even if it's kinda terrible (like the Patlabor TV series, which I'm watching right now). But if I show I really want to see comes out sub-only, I'll still watch it in that format...why deny yourself the pleasure of viewing a really good show (and Aria is a really good show) just because it isn't dubbed? That sort of thing just kind of comes with the territory of being a fan of something that's not in your native language.

And Ryllharu, your post was giving me flasbacks to the original Ranma 1/2 VHS trailers. "Only $29.95...and that's two TV episodes!" The horror.

Bamboo wrote:
I'd read about Aria before when we featured it in Protoculture Addicts

And anyone who wants an excellent overview of the series should definitely grab themselves a copy of PA #97 and check it out for themselves! And I'm totally not saying that because I wrote the article in question! Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I saw all of Shigurui on Funi's video portal and immediately picked up the blue ray boxset. Bloody and gory it may be, but I'll be damned if I can't rewatch all that Madhouse goodness on HD. Double bonus as it gets my father to watch some anime (He's a tech geek and likes violent series, like The Sopranos and Deadwood).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4