• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Lux Aeterna

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleuster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Reinhard Von Lohengram wrote:
Unfortunately, that wasn't always the case. Graphic adventures and visual novels used to be the most popular computer games.
True. Text adventures shared some elements and games like Shadow Gate sort of have that feel.
They all faded as platformers progressed, but we're seeing more of them return in some form or another.
I know Japanese visual novels are getting more attention now, at least on the niche level. I've been meaning to check out Saya no Uta out myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sirgil Grey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I really am amazed Rorona looks as good as it does. We all expected it to go the Disgaea 3 route and use HD 2D modelling for the visuals, but this is an impressive surprise. ANN compares it to Vesperia too(Which we don't get to play here in Europe, thanks Bandai, MS or whoever, double thanks for not making the US version region free!), and that's quite a compliment given the differences in budget the two games must have had.

Lux Pain looks a lot more interesting than I thought too. I'll have to try it out now. New Zelda sounds decent, but I gave up on Phantom Hourglass about halfway through sadly. Says a lot considering I literally did not stop playing Twilight Princess on Wii launch week until I finished it. Real sequel already!

One thing though... am I alone in thnking making FFIV After Years a WiiWare title was a bad move? Don't know about the rest of you, but I couldn't stand playing 16 bit JRPGs on a home console these days, only on handhelds. Surely making this a DSi downloadable title would have been much smarter, as not only would it have been a massive draw, but also would have got a lot more people scrambling to try out the DSi download service? Win win for Ninty and SquareEnix there I say. Even just release on DSi AND WiiWare ffs! I want this game portable!

Oh, and Ninja Blade is out I see... I tried the demo last week and it was absolute garbage compared to Ninja Gaiden 2(Or even DMC4, and that was no classic). Fixed camera, stiff, unfriendly controls and excessive QTE? Go back to last generation From!

Sorry for long post.
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm not totally sold on a train in Zelda... Hopefully this is a direct sequel to Phantom Hourglass (technology wise, it's pretty much the only one that comes close) but we see Zelda in princess garb, so maybe it's not... Hm.

Oh well, I'll buy it and hope for the best. I kind of can't not buy Zelda games. (I bought Soul Calibur II just for Link... Even worse, I bought a Philips CDi and all three Zelda games on it...)
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Although it may be April 1, Silent Hill for Wii isn't a joke, as it comes from the latest issue of Nintendo Power.

Unfortunately, that wasn't always the case. Graphic adventures and visual novels used to be the most popular computer games. Thankfully, these types of games are becoming more and more popular and available once again, both for computer and with Nintendo's bringing them back with their Wii and DS titles.
This. Games like Kings Quest, Zork, and The Last Express all had great narratives, overlooked by many. Broken Sword, too.
Reinhard Von Lohengram

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:03 pm Reply with quote
sfried wrote:
Although it may be April 1, Silent Hill for Wii isn't a joke, as it comes from the latest issue of Nintendo Power.

Unfortunately, that wasn't always the case. Graphic adventures and visual novels used to be the most popular computer games. Thankfully, these types of games are becoming more and more popular and available once again, both for computer and with Nintendo's bringing them back with their Wii and DS titles.
This. Games like Kings Quest, Zork, and The Last Express all had great narratives, overlooked by many. Broken Sword, too.

Oh man, Zork and that white house with the mail box. I was actually looking at Last Express on ebay the other day. I'll wait on it for now though; I just got Grim Fandango at a flea market and should really get through that first, I suppose. And I just heard theres a Neverhood movie in the works, with Tenapel on board. Not sure if anybody else on here has played the Neverhood. If not, really should try and pick it up.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:21 am Reply with quote
I never did like the first Silent Hill, even though I loved the movie adaptation. It's nice to know it's been retouched. Hopefully, the attack system's less clunky, too.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Uhh, the website press release for FF IV: The After Years does make it clear it's going to be episodic in nature.

"The game focuses primarily on Ceodore, son of FINAL FANTASY IV heroes Cecil and Rosa. He is ably supported by a host of familiar faces from the original cast who star in a series of additional tales."

That's about as clear as it gets.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Also, the DSi is NOT "a basic DS model with stuff added." The base hardware has been changed as well.

It has larger screens, 4 times more RAM, and a new and significantly improved CPU. It's somewhere between being a simple upgrade like the DS Lite and being an entirely new system altogether.

Which is why some DSi games are going to be DSi only.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
FeralKat wrote:
Lux Pain's localization is bad, but I think the spelling and grammar mistakes in The Legend of Heroes I on the PSP beat it. Confused I was really disappointed, since I love visual novel adventures on the DS... Crying or Very sad I don't understand how the final translation bypassed quality check though.

Ugh tell me about it Anime hyper
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably going to buy the DBE PSP game...
Ranma824

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And Aisha is "moe" as hell itself.

I really don't see what's moe about her. Unless it has something to do with the hair, in which case it's normally called a "hairstyle" Razz
sfried

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:28 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I never did like the first Silent Hill, even though I loved the movie adaptation. It's nice to know it's been retouched. Hopefully, the attack system's less clunky, too.
Well, actually...
GAF wrote:
-Combat has been completely removed from the game. "Instead, you have no choice but to flee, which proves considerably more terrifying."

-Once the monsters see you, the chase is on. "Holding Z button makes Harry get the lead out, and during the getaway, you can barge through doors, climb over fences, jump through windows, and so on. You can even barricade doors behind you with a bookshelf or whatever else might be handy. The static gets louder as the monsters close in, and while Harry is running, you can look back over his shoulder. Watching these abominations leap over cars and crawl along the rooftops as they relentlessly pursue our hero had us on the edge of our seats." "To be clear, these chase sequences aren't quick-time events; you have full control over Harry and can choose whichever path you see fit to his destination." "The monsters will take alternate routes to try to cut you off, and they'll use their numbers to flank you whenever possible."

MetatronM wrote:
It has larger screens, 4 times more RAM, and a new and significantly improved CPU. It's somewhere between being a simple upgrade like the DS Lite and being an entirely new system altogether.
You forget updated soundchip. But yeah.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2