• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: N. America's 2007 Anime Market Pegged at US$2.8 Billion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:30 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Of course it's slowly changing now with internet streaming because the industry themselves is realizing that the idea of infinite patience is costing them money.
More like due to a lack of patience and perseverance, the anime pirates didn't allow themselves time to think, when they lack the intelligences and the experiences required for them to consolidate their own reckless & illegal actions of over saturating the international anime market, and the consequences of said actions that leads to anime piracy killing the anime industry by illegally over saturated the international anime market prematurely. After all, intelligent is pattern recognition, which means the sooner the anime pirates can recognize their own faults, the better that they know about themselves more than anyone else knows them(by that, I mean myself, who used to be an VHS fansubber 15 years ago, but had gone cold turkey ever since R1 anime distributors showed up. Because I consolidated my own actions of fansubbing will be my own fault for killing the anime industry in the future).

So, what's your excuse for anime piracy after hearing that? That a bunch of thoughtless data whores who just couldn't stand being bored, and will do anything to excuse themselves for lacking the strengths and virtues of patience and perseverance, as they selfishly help themselves stealing intellectual properties from anime industry like some form of cheap entertainments for them to kill some time; time which they could have been put into good use for doing jobs that would've yield them with disposable incomes or at the very least, for allowing them to think and reflect on why they're doing with fansubs and scanslations are considered to be piracy by industry standard, are illegal practices of copyright infringement by legal standard, are irresponsible actions by individual standard, are immoral actions by society standard, and thereby being wrong. But they didn't, because they externalized their anxiety and guilt, by rationalizing and pretending themselves to be some sort of intelligent and experienced elite anime community. And the truth is they are just a bunch of uncultured, immoral, illegal, irresponsible, ignorant, and shallow data whores.
Dante80

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:39 am Reply with quote
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Dante80 wrote:
Still not good enough, and we're way too late for an apology. Because anime pirates aren't some 3 years old playing pirates as some sort of game here!
jdb728

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I think a better comparison would be comparing anime to a Honda or a Nissan. Even back in the 1980s, those cars were comparably priced with American made cars. Why? Because nobody is gonna buy your super expensive non-luxury cars when they can get an American one for cheaper! They knew that they had to crack the market so they priced accordingly.

Actually, the BMW example works better. It could be argued that owning an automobile is a necessity(especially in more rural areas), whereas the more expensive BMW and dvds(especially anime) are a pure non-necessity.

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
The anime industry is doing the opposite. Rather than try to crack the market, they're distributing a product thats inferior (Blu-Ray > DVD) and then charging more for it... as if that's gonna make sales sky rocket.

Firstly, BluRay is still a relatively niche format in itself, as many people still haven't felt the overwhelming desire to shell out $300-$500 for a BluRay player(or in many cases, the PS3 because it's just slightly more expensive then a regular BR Player).
Secondly, the point you brought up can once again be answered by the simple aspect that a lot of people don't seem to understand for some reason, the US anime companies pay licensing costs to gain the US rights to a product. As the market is a niche market to begin with, they're required to charge a little more then say, seasons of Family Guy(which likely turns a profit here in the states from ad revenue before even being released on DVD). Anime companies rarely have that chance to turn a profit with a show before releasing it on DVD, so if they don't want the bottom line to end up in the red, they must sell at a slightly higher cost.

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
LOL @ the "thick skulls" line. Why so serious, son? You have anger as if your dad owns an anime production company or something.

I know this was directed at someone else, but really? Did you really just use the "Why so serious" line? It may be me, but I got bored of that line after hearing people thinking they sounded like The Joker for a couple of months after The Dark Knight was released.

Thanks. Cool Wink
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:53 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
I don't like being tied to my PC any more than I already am at work or when I'm on assignment, so it's nice to put that aside for a bit and sit in front of the TV at my house or at a friend's place and watch a well-crafted show.

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
I totally agree with supporting shows by buying them, but wow, you guys really have to move into the 21st century!!! Like every HDTV comes with a VGA input and HDMI and like every PC has at least a VGA output and most laptops nowadays have a HDMI out port on them. Theres nothing quite like sitting down in front of a nice flat screen, and watching some anime in 720p.

Heh, Yeah I've got the 1080 projector from Sanyo and the flatscreen TV, etc. My point was more that I just don't feel like that feeling of 'wow, I've attained this really cool cultural artifact and in some way shown my support for it!' when I download something or sit there streaming stuff on my computer.

Don't get me wrong. I think it's GREAT that Funi is now streaming that Toei stuff on their site, and I think it's great that more Korean drama and the like is coming my way from crunchyroll... but I'll be in front of this box all day either way, so a little variation and something on my bookshelf wouldn't hurt.

Since the late 80s, I've driven thousands of miles for anime, and I've stood in lines and waited weeks, if not months or even years for it. I've spent a significant chunk of my disposable income on it, worked in and around it, and loved it through thick and then, even when I was barely watching it. It was a rare treat, like ice cream or a spring formal dance, and I was more than happy to pay for it.

I STILL am, but I just have more options to go about doing that now. If the company doesn't bring in money, the company doesn't exist... so viva la coupon.
babbo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
babbo wrote:
I'd point out here that alot of this mentality comes from the ridiculous prices companies have tried to push. Bandai heck, Bandai is still trying to push Haruka 8 at 29.99 a disc for 2-3 eps a disc without a dub. the American market just won't support those prices, it has widespread, ingrained expectations for what is charged for dvds.

Well that falls in line with what I am saying. If that venture turns out to be a massive failure then it is their fault and will therefore be punished for it(low sales). It is more in tune with falling behind current market trends(which is a can of worms that I didn't really want to open). Either way, they are the exception, not the rule. Plus there are conditions that brought about those exceptions, namely the absorption of Bandai Visual.

Quote:
Unless you're living in a third world country, anime isn't a luxury good for most people. This is just guessing on my part, but I doubt that the demand for it is noticeably higher among people with higher incomes or lower among people with lower incomes.

If you are talking about the income elasticity of demand(>1), then let me introduce you to HyugaHinata. When talking about a poor college student, and then talking about someone in their late twenty's early thirties with a job, there will be a huge difference in realistic demand.

There is a technical explanation for luxury goods, and then there is a general one. Both are entirely valid. It goes like this: a good (or service) that is not essential but makes life more enjoyable. DVDs, by their very nature are non-essential. Though perhaps TVs are not, but HD TVs are. The difference is easily understandable if you just think about it for a minute. You can see which angle I was going for. And regardless it meets both definitions.

I thought I made it was pretty obvious which one I was using what with the context that I used it in.

Even poor college students can still buy anime, just as they can still buy a TV series box set, they might buy less of either, but both will compete for the same money. As a group, they're also one of the more significant consumer bases for anime as well. American anime fandom pretty much started with them o,o

Quote:

Quote:
My point still stands though. BMW doesn't compete with saturn for the same customers.

Actually I could argue they do. If we were talking Lamborghini and Saturn it would be a different story. But I won't. It involves car pricing schemes, buying habits, multiple car purchasers, corporate fleets, and leasing. I will save you all of that. BMWs aren't that much more expensive then regular cars(about 30K, which is within the same price range as Saturn). They are seen as a luxury items more because of the quality they possess, and the features owners enjoy more so than large differences in price.

Relation to anime? Most watch and purchase anime for the features it bears. Features that can't be found in most other alternatives.
[/quote]

30k is a high point of the base prices for saturn's lineup. It's the bottom of BMWs. You may as well try to argue that the chevy and Lincoln lineups target the same income groups.

Quote:

Quote:
Anime and domestic TV shows do. And there are plenty of good shows out there,

If your talking about that there is only 24 hours to a day, and only so much time can be devoted between two mediums then yes. If your talking about the anime market in general, then no, at least not really. The whole reason that there even is a market for anime is because fans find something in it that they can't find locally. It's features represent something they value more than everyday local sitcoms and dramas, or else they would be watching more of them and not anime. And there certainly is no shortage of the former to devote all of ones free time to. Couple this with the import status of anime, as previously explained, and I don't see how you can't recognize the special status anime must endure.

This here is a big assumption. Especially when the industry's cash cows (at least in the American market) rely on younger and/or more casual viewership that don't necessarily branch much into other anime. I understand the idea that people watch anime because they like something about it, but that in no way keeps other media (such as domestic TV) from competing for their attention and wallets.

Quote:

Quote:
it's not like people are just buying newer TV shows on dvd (I'd suggest you refrain from using the royal "we" from now on).

You don't like animation? You don't like anime? Anime is not one of your preferred forms of entertainment? I realize I am wrong on this one, but I thought I was being so universal in the my descriptions that at least everyone here could relate, or why would we be having this discussion on a site like this in the first place. Either way, it was technically wrong of me, so I apologize.
[/quote]
No need to apologize. It just seems like you're transplanting your viewing habits onto other people. Even if anime is a persons preferred form of entertainment that doesn't it's the only one.
Quote:

Quote:
Not like it matters though. The consumer base won't support higher prices. Otherwise we'd still be seeing $30 singles.

Then expect to see more reports like the the one this article links to.

Also, just to nitpick. If we aren't seeing $30 singles right now, then why did you bring up Haruka. Furthermore, I am collecting Darker than Black, Claymore,and Baccano!, not to mention a slew of others that I just finished collecting. $30 singles haven't hit the road quite yet. Wink

Unless your talking solely about episode count, in which case, never mind.Wink

Cloe:
I haven't brought up fansubs once in this thread. It's not really relevant to the point I'm making.

They started releasing it almost a year ago, and it was the most recent example I could think of. I was talking price+episode count. And if you're paying $30 for singles on those titles you're just not shopping at the right place.

DomFortress wrote:
babbo wrote:
DomFortress wrote:
babbo wrote:
Expecting people to pay more from a product just because it's an import (no matter how much sense it might make) is no way to compete >.>
At least it makes more sense than trying to rationalize stealing from the anime industry as a "competitive business" that's even "profitable" for the said industry. As an anime fan who supports the anime industry with his disposable income, you don't sound convincing with your whines and complains to me.

1.) I'm not talking to you, much less complaining to you.
This is an open forum, so you caught my attention as soon as you make a comment here, just like you made a comment regarding one of my post which wasn't addressed to you:

I know that much. I was merely poking fun at your whole "As an anime fan who supports the anime industry with his disposable income, you don't sound convincing with your whines and complains [sic] to me" bit. I've seen you say it to so many people by now that I can't help but crack up when I see it. Which is kind of strange what with they way you always use it in a context that assumes that the other person does not support the industry and must only watch fansubs/ is the lowest scum on the face of the earth.

Quote:

babbo wrote:
Oh and last time I checked it took a couple years for Tokugawa to completely consolidate power after Sekigahara. If you're going to throw around useless unrelated trivia to back up your line of reasoning, at least get it right >.>
Maybe you should have listened to your own advice:
babbo wrote:
Next time I suggest you respond to the actual content of the post your replying to instead of going on auto pilot <.<
With patience and perseverance, you could have allow yourself time to think, when you lack the intelligences and the experiences required for you to consolidate your own actions and the consequences of those actions. After all, intelligent is pattern recognition, which means the sooner you can recognize your own fault, the better that you know about yourself more than anyone else knows you.

My point was that he hadn't completely united Japan by 1600 <.<

Quote:

babbo wrote:
2.) I never mentioned stealing in my post once. I was responding to a part of a post regarding pricing; specifically the line of reasoning that people need to understand that there are costs (such as licensing fees and dubbing) that drive prices. It's a silly expectation, especially for a niche product such as anime. The companies know this, which is why we see cheaper box sets are coming out all the time. Kinda makes me wonder why people even bother bringing this up all the time.
However, even after all the post-productions, and the licensing fee(BTW, that's how anime piracy is illegal, because they didn't acquire the license to distribute the intellectual properties by paying the licensing fee in the first place), the R1 anime distributors still managed to bring the price of their anime DVD way below the Japanese R2 anime distributors could with theirs(localization not included). So yeah, it is kinda silly to whine and complain about the R1 anime DVD price when you think about it.

Also, as a friendly reminder, the anime production companies get paid for their works by licensing their anime. Just thought you should know.

-.-;; Any chance you could stop wasting peoples' time explaining stuff that they already know?

In any case, along with anime's incredibly niche status in the R1 region, the vocal fan base has quite a bit to do with why R1 prices are so much lower. If Japanese Otaku were nearly as vocal and didn't gobble up everything that is thrown at them they'd probably have lower prices too. Funi and the like would gladly ask $65 for 2-3 eps if they thought they could get away with it. In short, complaining and whining isn't entirely a bad thing <.<

Last edited by babbo on Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:05 pm Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
In any case, along with anime's incredibly niche status in the R1 region, the vocal fan base has quite a bit to do with why R1 prices are so much lower. If Japanese Otaku were nearly as vocal and didn't gobble up everything that is thrown at them they'd probably have lower prices too. Funi and the like would gladly ask $65 for 2-3 eps if they thought they could get away with it. In short, complaining and whining isn't entirely a bad thing <.<
There's that, and then there's the question of how criticism that lacks thoughts, can be seen by others as whine and complain, and vice verso. And it has to do with an individual's internal perceptive on reality, and the external process of rational thinking.

You mentioned a good point when you raised an issue about the total submissive attitude of the Japanese Otakus toward the Japanese corporate distributors. Well The psychological explanation is due to the elitism and group mind mentality within the Japanese society. Which is facilitated by the Japanese educational and social system that forced them to loose their idealism and inspirations as a nation, while they slowly being corrupted by the darker side of their Japanese society. The cause, however, was due to Tokugawa Ieyasu's fatal error on unifying Japan while maintaining the peace for over 200 years, without him overthrowing the Emperor Go-Yōzei and become the true ruler of Japan. For Tokugawa knew that if he did so, he would've set an example for others to overthrow him, if they had the idea of one day unifying Japan by ruling it in their names. He was so obsessed on maintaining an externally peaceful Japan, he held back on the idea of inspiring the Japanese people under his rule.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:42 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

I'll agree with you on the DL, especially in regards to rips of R1 releases, complete with extras and ready to be burned to DVDs. Forget about the fansub controversy for a second, 'cause that's piracy, plain and simple.

Well said there.

DmonHiro wrote:
You can thank the fansubs for the high toy sales. The more people watch anime the more toys will get sold. Fansub watchers go up, toy sales go up. Fansub watchers go down, toy sales go down. The Japanese have figured out that the anime is just a means to sell merchendise a long time ago. When is R1 going to get it through it's thick skull? If you kill all fansubs, you ain't gonna be selling many toys.

WRONG! Sure toy sales might go down,but fansubs is the main core of bad DVD sales in the US for years.

In fact most people prefer fansubs over the legal ones which means people will just watch it illegaly instead of just buying the DVD. Less dvd sales means less revenue to the licensing companies which means they will have no revenue to licencse anymore series let alone keep their company in business.

Also i believe that It's because of it along with this economy that caused Geneon's demise cause a lot and i mean a lot of series that geneon licensed were already beeing illegaly streamed over the internet before the first DVD even went to the US. Why did you think funi and Sunrise went on an all out anti-fansub and anti-illegal streaming campaign? So that they'll not meet the same fate as geneon. Even long time companies that do popular series in english(Media Blasters) are going sub only cause of lack of revenue. Not to mentioned the multiple news reports of layoffs.

It's just as "vashfanatic" says,like it or not fansubs is just plain old piracy,plain and simple,and i'll rather wait for the releases on DVD or for a broadcaster to show the series on TV than watch it or downlaod it illegally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:18 am Reply with quote
DomFortress, thanks for providing this:
flowchart
(let me know if you want me to share bandwidth. I can copy to my server. also, thanks for the translation. I don't know Japanese yet. Wink)

THIS MODEL is what's wrong with the anime industry. However, it was the only available model available to even begin distribution, regardless what country claims distribution rights.

Since I've hashed on this topic in other threads, I won't do so here.

Ever since this article was printed, I've been doing research on the report by JETRO. The reason is based on the source of the report.

What I can't seem to obtain is the sales source. Important, because some elements aren't tracked. Online stores, for example, may not participate in the models used by NPD or NV. This could account for a significant loss in numbers and will most definitely skew the report in terms of "facts".

I've sent an email to NV (I know how NPD gets their info), but haven't heard back. In truth, I doubt I will. We're talking extraordinarily high protection on sales data, especially in an industry in which U.S. distributors don't comment on the amount paid for licenses.

I find this disturbing for a variety of reasons.

First, why the secrecy? IMO (important here), this tells me these distributors pay very little for the rights, and capitalize on the revenues based on DVD sales.

Now before you attack this, yes, I know there are other costs involved in bringing the DVD to market. I've read plenty of sources that show some series productions are expensive relative to the sales generated by DVDs.

The flip side to this argument: High demand DVDs will always offset the low demand DVDs, which aren't produced in quantity, thus saving money. Otherwise, these distributors would have been out of business years ago.

Second, The DVD sales amounts show the true picture. I think many readers here skipped over the incredible difference between DVD sales and merchandising. Why?

Talking about fansub sites has absolutely no bearing on the loss of merchandising sales. One can't pirate a merchandise sale through streaming a damn video, people.

DVD consumption is dwindling in every market, not just anime. Streaming websites, Netflix (et al), and yes, even fansub sites, are causing this dwindling.

However, to say fansub sites are the sole cause of this decline is an ignorant assumption. There are more facts pointing to legal alternatives taking way from purchases than anything I've yet to see based on fansub accusations.

For example: Read the latest news on the Veoh/Funimation announcement. I'm sure there are people who will watch these legal showings and never buy the DVD.

To assume this "loss" isn't going to affect the overall sales is also an ignorant assumption to make.

I really wish you all would review the very article in discussion here and realize what the true source of the problem is.

It's not DVD sales. It's merchandising, which offers (by my math) over 85% of anime's true source of revenue.

What, you think the loss of 15% will collapse the market entirely?

Sure, in DVD distribution, but certainly not the anime industry, especially when the Japanese are notorious for finding new models, having patience to use them, to recoup these loses.

In short: The DVD is becoming part of the merchandising model.

Just because something is printed on the internet doesn't mean it's fact, people. Especially when this report is extremely biased towards America and its sales, trying to point the finger at "us" for piracy.

Pretty damn hard to do when we don't have the DVD to rip from, given it's not been distributed.

We're not providing the source of fansub sites, so why the hell are we being blamed for it? Example: I just watched Clannad: After Story on a fansub site recently. Anyone in this country own the DVD to it?

Screw that. I will not participate in bogus allegations simply because DVD sales are going down, which matches other industries' losses.

I will also not tolerate allegations that I won't buy a DVD just because I saw the series elsewhere. If this industry wants to make me a statistic, do so under positive numbers, not negative.

A $1 song isn't going to replace revenue of a $16 CD.
A $3 rental isn't going to replace revenue of a $20 DVD.
A $0 viewing on Veoh, CR, et al isn't going to replace revenue of a $50/$30 DVD.

I'm still trying to find these "lost" revenues from fansub sites.

If you have any idea where they are, please let me know.

Oh, and one more thing I want to point out about the graph, and why you shouldn't believe everything your read: where is the revenue from legal websites in that chart?

Odd, given I know several which have been around since 2005.

Take from this what you will, but let's hope some assumptions were destroyed after reading many of the comments in this thread.

DomFortress: I understand your frustration regarding fansub sites, but I really think it's hard to take your replies at face value when you have a strong sense in how the market works but refuse to provide proof of losses your statements make regarding these attacks.

I'm sorry, but links to executives whining about how piracy takes away revenue isn't a "fact". It's a cop out.

I want hard numbers. Facts. Proof that non-legal streaming/download sites take away revenue from the studio.

Because even the chart you host proves, beyond all doubt, nothing from DVD sales is returned to the studio. I can't find that arrow.

Can you?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6