Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Offer 2009 Fullmetal Alchemist on April 9


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Primus



Joined: 01 Mar 2006
Posts: 2629
Location: Toronto
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Quote:
Sariachan wrote:
Also, I hope that in the future the Japanese animation companies themselves will stream their anime without restrictions to the entire world, making the users paying a fee for a subscription: that way, money would directly go to who is actually making the anime.


Your logic is funny.

How can the companies make money if they can't use subscriptions? Imbedded ads within videos that are released worldwide are very few because very little amounts of advertisers are willing to advertise worldwide via a niche product.

With stuff like FUNimation is doing at the very least they have a controlled area with ads of their merchandise all over the place.

Your learning ability is funny.
Where did I wrote that the can't use subscriptions? I said, or better, I hope that they'll do something like that in the future!
Maybe my English isn't perfect, but at least I can read. -__-'


Sorry but the way you worded this leaves a lot to be speculated:

"Also, I hope that in the future the Japanese animation companies themselves will stream their anime without restrictions to the entire world, making the users paying a fee for a subscription"

Sounded like you wanted the Japanese animation companies to stream stuff directly without restrictions or subscriptions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sam Murai



Joined: 01 Dec 2006
Posts: 1042
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:45 pm Reply with quote
cnav wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:
Good news (mainly the simulcast), and pretty much a no-brainer (though it would have been funny if someone else got to it before FUNimation). Now, hopefully the show will actually be good enough to be worth the move...

of course its gonna be good enough . No wonder funimation were dyin for it . . .


That shouldn't be a given regardless of the merits of the previous series. I say this not to be a stickler or a harda**, but a sequel or reincarnation of a hit doesn't and shouldn't mean that it itself will be automatically great. It's still a big gamble to pre-license anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit



Joined: 20 Sep 2007
Posts: 1732
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:

I would love to see if you would still talk like that if you where from Italy or some other Country that will not be covered by the legit channels/streams that will air FMA.
People are really egoistic sometimes...
I do respect fansubbers and I'm proud to say that: after all, they aren't preventing me to buy the official releases when they come out, but they just let me to enjoy something together with the rest of the world.
And I DO buy lots of official stuff (about the new FMA, the first on the list will be the OP single, I just love the song YUI wrote and composed for FMA... I would dare to say that it's perfect Very Happy ).

I thought it was obvious that I was referring to english subs. Guess not. Rolling Eyes
stuffs wrote:
ou mean FUNimation is going to show it in HD? Wink

I sure hope that it doesn't discourage fansubs.

Wouldn't put it past them.
Sam Murai wrote:
That shouldn't be a given regardless of the merits of the previous series. I say this not to be a stickler or a harda**, but a sequel or reincarnation of a hit doesn't and shouldn't mean that it itself will be automatically great. It's still a big gamble to pre-license anything.

I severely doubt FUNimation would've licensed this if they felt like it didn't stand a chance of being popular. Fullmetal Alchemist is still a big hit on both sides of the coast.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Ashen Phoenix



Joined: 21 Jun 2006
Posts: 2714
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Kalessin



Joined: 15 Aug 2007
Posts: 930
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:17 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
cnav wrote:
Sam Murai wrote:
Good news (mainly the simulcast), and pretty much a no-brainer (though it would have been funny if someone else got to it before FUNimation). Now, hopefully the show will actually be good enough to be worth the move...

of course its gonna be good enough . No wonder funimation were dyin for it . . .


That shouldn't be a given regardless of the merits of the previous series. I say this not to be a stickler or a harda**, but a sequel or reincarnation of a hit doesn't and shouldn't mean that it itself will be automatically great. It's still a big gamble to pre-license anything.


Well, on some level it's always a gamble when you license something - be that pre or otherwise - but when you're talking about a sequel or remake of a major hit, I don't think that there's much risk. It would have to be pretty bad for it not to sell fairly well just given the reputation of its predecessor. And on top of that, even if it's bad enough that a major portion of the online fanbase thinks that it's bad, FMA is big enough that there'll be plenty of people who are fans of it who don't read much about anime online and would buy it when they see it. Really, FMA is popular enough and mainstream enough that the new show is going to have to be just plain bad for licensing it to be a bad idea. And given that the new show is going to follow the manga fairly closely and that the manga is very good and hugely popular, BONES would have to just totally botch the translation for it not to turn out at least decently, and usually BONES does very good work.

I grant you that pre-licensing can be risky, but as far as pre-licensing risks go, FMA is pretty low.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ConanSan



Joined: 13 Jun 2007
Posts: 1818
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:52 am Reply with quote
Well, yeah, Sonic 1 sold mad Megadrive so Sonic 2 was all but garanteed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kpk



Joined: 05 Apr 2009
Posts: 484
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:11 am Reply with quote
Bad first episode.
too rush, too slow. not a very good presentation of the characters, not a very exciting action scenes, not a very good animation (the carton-ish character design didn't fit with the [very] gray backgrounding).

in other words: it was boring!

and sorry for my English.


Last edited by kpk on Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yorozuya



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Posts: 332
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:54 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
Bad first episode.
too rush, too slow. not a very good presentation of the characters, not a very exciting action scenes, not a very good animation (the carton-ish character design didn't fit to the [very] gray backgrounding).

in other words: it was boring!

and sorry for my English.

I don't agree >.<
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
FlashFumo



Joined: 06 Jul 2008
Posts: 16
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quote


Oh, would you look at that! Rolling Eyes
Am I screwed or am I screwed?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
kpk



Joined: 05 Apr 2009
Posts: 484
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Yorozuya wrote:
kpk wrote:
Bad first episode.
too rush, too slow. not a very good presentation of the characters, not a very exciting action scenes, not a very good animation (the carton-ish character design didn't fit to the [very] gray backgrounding).

in other words: it was boring!

and sorry for my English.

I don't agree >.<


want to explain why?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Yorozuya



Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Posts: 332
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
Yorozuya wrote:
kpk wrote:
Bad first episode.
too rush, too slow. not a very good presentation of the characters, not a very exciting action scenes, not a very good animation (the carton-ish character design didn't fit to the [very] gray backgrounding).

in other words: it was boring!

and sorry for my English.

I don't agree >.<


want to explain why?

I liked it; I thought it was a good way to introduce a lot of the main characters and it was nice to see some subtle hints as to what will be happening later on in the story.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
mangaka-chan



Joined: 06 Feb 2005
Posts: 282
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
I was at first apathetic about this new adaptation thing, but seeing the opening I have to say I'm impressed, and with the fact that they'll now include characters from the manga that didn't make it into the first anime (i.e. Ling, Mei) I find myself getting pretty excited. Surprised Can't wait 'til Thursday!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr. sickVisionz



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 2099
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why they have to wait so long? 4 days is cool once the series is done with and your options for getting it are waiting forever to download it or just start streaming it, but for the FMA fan, fansubs will probably be out within 24 hours of the japanese broadcast.

Just searching on a torrent site, you've got stuff that's been up since the 5th, 4 days before Funi will be showing this. If Crunchyroll can get Naruto, Gintama, Hayate etc, like 4 hours after the jpn broadcast, why does it take Funi 4 days?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dante80



Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Posts: 218
Location: Athens Greece
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, good HDTV fansubs for the show (GG&BSS, SHS) got released the same day as broadcasting...that does not mean the R1 fan has to get them, he has a legal alternative. 4 days is fast enough, for those that WANT to support the industry via this streaming anyway...

Of course, simulcasting or streaming in the same day would get much more views. From what we see via torrents/bots/DDL, maybe more than 100k people have downloaded eps1 till now. Funi could possibly get a big chunk of that userbase if it released faster/with HD Q.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Manga
Tofusensei



Joined: 15 Feb 2008
Posts: 365
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Clearly I must be clairvoyant.

-Tofu
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group