• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Offer 2009 Fullmetal Alchemist on April 9

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
This is so awesome. THIS IS SO F****** AWESOME.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
why so long? Crunchyroll and Gonzo do things day and date. i like the idea but this is definitely not the right way to go about it, especially with every fansubber and their cousin working on this series.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Funi might be doing their own subs. I think AS likes FMA and so they will want it.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
why so long? Crunchyroll and Gonzo do things day and date. i like the idea but this is definitely not the right way to go about it, especially with every fansubber and their cousin working on this series.

I honestly cannot believe you even said that. Isn't Crunchyroll still the minority? Can't you be a little more grateful that it's getting released online the same week at all?
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
v1cious wrote:

I honestly cannot believe you even said that. Isn't Crunchyroll still the minority? Can't you be a little more grateful that it's getting released online the same week at all?

i'm more than grateful, i just don't think it's gonna work. consider that this is the most anticipated anime series of the year. most fansub groups are gonna have this show out literally hours after it's released.

Last edited by v1cious on Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Be that as it may, he makes a valid point. I am just making these numbers up, but I would honestly not be surprised if you saw a 50% drop off in viewers per episode from day 4 versus day 0.

That's a LOT of time to let fansubbers get their torrents out there, especially for a show this popular.

The uber-popular shows (and FMA is definitely one of them) can get 200,000+ downloads/views in the first 24 hours.

This is a step in the right direction, but the solution is still 0 day, not 4 day.

Note to mention the 4 day lag is practically taunting less-than-ethical fansubbers to make nightmares for Funimation and Japan.

-Tofu
Altorrin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
Be that as it may, he makes a valid point. I am just making these numbers up, but I would honestly not be surprised if you saw a 50% drop off in viewers per episode from day 4 versus day 0.

That's a LOT of time to let fansubbers get their torrents out there, especially for a show this popular.

The uber-popular shows (and FMA is definitely one of them) can get 200,000+ downloads/views in the first 24 hours.

This is a step in the right direction, but the solution is still 0 day, not 4 day.

Note to mention the 4 day lag is practically taunting less-than-ethical fansubbers to make nightmares for Funimation and Japan.

-Tofu

I guess you're right. But still, the quality of fansubs that are released 5 hours later must be trash. It'll be hard to restrain myself, but I'm not gonna watch fansubs this time. Not even fansubs of the opening.
Shadowlord

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Just curious: How good is the video quality on Funimation's webstite? What video resolution do they use?
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
But see now the less than ethical fansubbers can be seen for what they are, as another user put it "Douchebags"

As in the announcement it says "Funimation also holds the licenses for television broadcast and packaged video releases in North America."
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

i'm more than grateful, i just don't think it's gonna work. consider that this is the most anticipated anime series of the year. most fansub groups are gonna have this show out literally hours after it's released.

Fansubs were all over the place for the first series as well. FMA is a big title, a hit with more than just otaku who download fansubs - the DVDs will sell, it might run on Cartoon Network, yadda yadda.

Yes they aren't going to get the uber-fans who will be scouring the net for fansubs 2 hours after it airs in Japan. But that's like saying Toei has a big problem with Dragonball Kai fansubs - no, not really. Yes they'll exist and yes they'll have some impact but the audience for the show is much larger than just those who can't wait a few days for a legal stream.
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Aniplex seems to have dictated that the earliest all other regions get it is the 10th in Japan. We are pretty much getting it at the earliest possible time allowed by Japan.
i cast fira

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm conflicted. I'm not a fan of the Japanese dub, but I really REALLY want to see this.
xia83

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
wow, wasting no time in getting it streamed huh?

This is good news, happy for the people who get to see it now.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Shadowlord wrote:
Just curious: How good is the video quality on Funimation's webstite? What video resolution do they use?

Check yerself.

http://www.funimation.com/

It's very, very average but maybe they'll make an exception for FMA?
Dante80

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
Shadowlord wrote:

Check yerself.

http://www.funimation.com/

It's very, very average but maybe they'll make an exception for FMA?

Can we Europeans get some feedback too on this?...post a png screenshot or sth...^^

Regarding fansubs now, the important thing is that anime fans have the opportunity to watch this show legally and free of charge. As Tofu said, simulcasting or streaming in the same day could maybe even double the views. But this is better than having to wait months for DVD releases, end of story (of course, physical media will be later released for the title, and as Zac said, they are going to sell very well, the fanbase is big and varied).

Image/sound quality is another issue yes, but I bet that any stream given by Funi for the title would be very watchable, and enjoyable. Go for it people...^^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10