Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Offer 2009 Fullmetal Alchemist on April 9


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TsukasaElkKite



Joined: 22 Nov 2005
Posts: 3398
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
This is so awesome. THIS IS SO F****** AWESOME.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
v1cious



Joined: 31 Dec 2002
Posts: 6081
Location: Houston, TX
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
why so long? Crunchyroll and Gonzo do things day and date. i like the idea but this is definitely not the right way to go about it, especially with every fansubber and their cousin working on this series.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
zanarkand princess



Joined: 27 Oct 2007
Posts: 1484
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Funi might be doing their own subs. I think AS likes FMA and so they will want it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Altorrin



Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 307
Location: Florida, United States
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
why so long? Crunchyroll and Gonzo do things day and date. i like the idea but this is definitely not the right way to go about it, especially with every fansubber and their cousin working on this series.


I honestly cannot believe you even said that. Isn't Crunchyroll still the minority? Can't you be a little more grateful that it's getting released online the same week at all?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
v1cious



Joined: 31 Dec 2002
Posts: 6081
Location: Houston, TX
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
v1cious wrote:
why so long? Crunchyroll and Gonzo do things day and date. i like the idea but this is definitely not the right way to go about it, especially with every fansubber and their cousin working on this series.


I honestly cannot believe you even said that. Isn't Crunchyroll still the minority? Can't you be a little more grateful that it's getting released online the same week at all?


i'm more than grateful, i just don't think it's gonna work. consider that this is the most anticipated anime series of the year. most fansub groups are gonna have this show out literally hours after it's released.


Last edited by v1cious on Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Tofusensei



Joined: 15 Feb 2008
Posts: 365
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Be that as it may, he makes a valid point. I am just making these numbers up, but I would honestly not be surprised if you saw a 50% drop off in viewers per episode from day 4 versus day 0.

That's a LOT of time to let fansubbers get their torrents out there, especially for a show this popular.

The uber-popular shows (and FMA is definitely one of them) can get 200,000+ downloads/views in the first 24 hours.

This is a step in the right direction, but the solution is still 0 day, not 4 day.

Note to mention the 4 day lag is practically taunting less-than-ethical fansubbers to make nightmares for Funimation and Japan.

-Tofu
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Altorrin



Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 307
Location: Florida, United States
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
Be that as it may, he makes a valid point. I am just making these numbers up, but I would honestly not be surprised if you saw a 50% drop off in viewers per episode from day 4 versus day 0.

That's a LOT of time to let fansubbers get their torrents out there, especially for a show this popular.

The uber-popular shows (and FMA is definitely one of them) can get 200,000+ downloads/views in the first 24 hours.

This is a step in the right direction, but the solution is still 0 day, not 4 day.

Note to mention the 4 day lag is practically taunting less-than-ethical fansubbers to make nightmares for Funimation and Japan.

-Tofu


I guess you're right. But still, the quality of fansubs that are released 5 hours later must be trash. It'll be hard to restrain myself, but I'm not gonna watch fansubs this time. Not even fansubs of the opening.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shadowlord



Joined: 24 Sep 2008
Posts: 37
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Just curious: How good is the video quality on Funimation's webstite? What video resolution do they use?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LordRedhand



Joined: 04 Feb 2009
Posts: 1472
Location: Middle of Nowhere, Indiana
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
But see now the less than ethical fansubbers can be seen for what they are, as another user put it "Douchebags"

As in the announcement it says "Funimation also holds the licenses for television broadcast and packaged video releases in North America."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zac
Subscriber
ANN Executive Editor


Joined: 05 Jan 2002
Posts: 7912
Location: Anime News Network Technodrome
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:21 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

i'm more than grateful, i just don't think it's gonna work. consider that this is the most anticipated anime series of the year. most fansub groups are gonna have this show out literally hours after it's released.


Fansubs were all over the place for the first series as well. FMA is a big title, a hit with more than just otaku who download fansubs - the DVDs will sell, it might run on Cartoon Network, yadda yadda.

Yes they aren't going to get the uber-fans who will be scouring the net for fansubs 2 hours after it airs in Japan. But that's like saying Toei has a big problem with Dragonball Kai fansubs - no, not really. Yes they'll exist and yes they'll have some impact but the audience for the show is much larger than just those who can't wait a few days for a legal stream.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime
bayoab



Joined: 06 Oct 2004
Posts: 831
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
why so long? Crunchyroll and Gonzo do things day and date. i like the idea but this is definitely not the right way to go about it, especially with every fansubber and their cousin working on this series.
Aniplex seems to have dictated that the earliest all other regions get it is the 10th in Japan. We are pretty much getting it at the earliest possible time allowed by Japan.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
i cast fira



Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Posts: 23
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm conflicted. I'm not a fan of the Japanese dub, but I really REALLY want to see this.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xia83



Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 137
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:30 pm Reply with quote
wow, wasting no time in getting it streamed huh?

This is good news, happy for the people who get to see it now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Altorrin



Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 307
Location: Florida, United States
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Shadowlord wrote:
Just curious: How good is the video quality on Funimation's webstite? What video resolution do they use?


Check yerself.

http://www.funimation.com/

It's very, very average but maybe they'll make an exception for FMA?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dante80



Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Posts: 218
Location: Athens Greece
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
Shadowlord wrote:
Just curious: How good is the video quality on Funimation's webstite? What video resolution do they use?


Check yerself.

http://www.funimation.com/

It's very, very average but maybe they'll make an exception for FMA?


Can we Europeans get some feedback too on this?...post a png screenshot or sth...^^

Regarding fansubs now, the important thing is that anime fans have the opportunity to watch this show legally and free of charge. As Tofu said, simulcasting or streaming in the same day could maybe even double the views. But this is better than having to wait months for DVD releases, end of story (of course, physical media will be later released for the title, and as Zac said, they are going to sell very well, the fanbase is big and varied).

Image/sound quality is another issue yes, but I bet that any stream given by Funi for the title would be very watchable, and enjoyable. Go for it people...^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group