• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gigazine & J-Cast: 2009 Haruhi Will Be 28 Episodes Long

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor Worm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote
My fellow Americans Haruhi fans.. I come to you with this humble suggestion: let's be cynical until we actually SEE some solid new content in this apparent 'reairing' because if it is the original series being aired in two different orders (14 times 2 IS 28 after all) we want as little excuse as possible for the "LOL @ HARUHI FANS GETTING THEIR HOPES UP" trolls to show up yet again.

Anyway, your mileage may vary but I'm not a superstitious sort of person. If there isn't going to be any new Haruhi episodes/content for this Spring season hoping that there will be will not magically change such matters. Likewise, if they do have new episodes that they'll be airing I can assure you a bit of (justified) cynicism will not prevent said new episodes from airing.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm as cynical as Kyon on this. There's no such thing as Santa Claus, and there's no such thing as Haruhi's second season.

Now, if a knife-weilding Data Entity Interface back-up attacks me in an empty classroom...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:42 pm Reply with quote
larethian wrote:
someday in the rain is an OVA episode in the first season.

No, no it wasn't. It aired on TV, so please re-check the definition of OVA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
lllwtflll

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't know whether to be excited or concerned... I'm with all the other cynics out there now - I'll have to reserve judgement until I see some new content. It wouldn't be beyond Kadokawa to royally screw this up.
rg4619

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:45 pm Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:

Oh, and by the way, I'm getting really annoyed that people here on ANN are saying: STOP TROLLING US KOYANI!!! When It's Kadokawa doing the trolling (Well not anymore) srsly tho. get your facts straight people.

It's actually the work of the overarching production committee, which includes both Kadokawa Shoten and Kyoto Animation. We don't know who came up with the idea, but the various firms backing the show have obviously agreed to (and are helping to implement) the marketing strategy.

So yeah, they're all in it together.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Meh ... I won't believe that we're actually getting a Haruhi season 2 until I've watched said second season ... TWICE.

Just quit teasing us already, Kadokawa. Evil or Very Mad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
larethian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
larethian wrote:
someday in the rain is an OVA episode in the first season.

No, no it wasn't. It aired on TV, so please re-check the definition of OVA.

ok, i thought OVA meant something completely not from the original source original. Apologies, I might have erred on that. What I really meant was that it was a completely original story / script, not taken out and adapted from the novel.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm willing to embrace the "this means new episodes" theory, if just because it would be INSANELY HOSTILE to fans to do otherwise. Seriously, I think fan rage might reach homicidal levels if they just played the first season twice.

Running the first season again but in chronological order, thus getting new fans and old thinking about the series again, then showing new episodes just makes too much sense to actively ignore the reasonable probability of a second season.

Of course, stupidity in the entertainment world can be legendary. After all, Uwe Boll has been allowed to make movies. Wink
robtf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Running the first season again but in chronological order, thus getting new fans and old thinking about the series again, then showing new episodes just makes too much sense to actively ignore the reasonable probability of a second season.

Actually, since there is material that happens in between events in the first run that weren't adapted, there's going to be at least 5 new episodes airing between old episodes. That's assuming that they adhere to chronological order.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote
Jinxso wrote:
2) I am ticked off I purchased the box set when there is going to be new content that I will have to purchase and probably need to buy dupes since I typically don't buy single volumes!

You know, it's entirely likely that they'll do a boxset for just the new content, rather than just an updated all-inclusive set.

larethian wrote:
ok, i thought OVA meant something completely not from the original source original. Apologies, I might have erred on that. What I really meant was that it was a completely original story / script, not taken out and adapted from the novel.

An OVA is an anime episode originally released as a home video, rather than screened on TV or in a cinema first. What you're thinking of is an original story, or less charitably, filler. Though in this case it's not true filler, as (I'm told) the original author did write the storyline, but didn't publish it in the novels.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:29 am Reply with quote
Yes. For all the problems Bandai can have when they release things, I doubt that they would make us buy S1 again. It would be a loss of money for them to do otherwise and considering they already own the license to the first series I doubt they will have to buy it again and have to make that money back from the consumer. Plus Haruhi wasn't a big enough hit (not in DVD sales anyway) for them to expect anyone to double dip. I think a sort of ultimate Haruhi box set might do well for people who haven't brought the first series and became interested with the second series but it would have to be put out in small numbers first to see how well it would do. That is only of course if this supposed S2 is the last one.

Considering how long it's taking the new novel to come out I'm guessing the story will wrap up in maybe two novels if we ever get them at all, and if that is the case then there will probably be an S3 or at least an OVA series to finish it off. Or they could go the anime end only route which only works out slightly better for shows like Haruhi then it does shows based off of shounen manga.
Hato-kun

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:47 am Reply with quote
I really hope they just hurry up and release the next season. I'm sick of waiting, but I'm still such a Yuki fag Razz
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:07 am Reply with quote
Could this be the "2nd season" that everyone keeps mishearing about for the past 2 years in a row?
Powalen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:16 am Reply with quote
I shouldn't get my hopes up... but seriously, this has got to be season 2. Airing the same series back-to-back in a different order would be stupid... unless the second season was right after that. xP

It would be awesome if they mixed in the (possible) 14 new s2 episodes in with the s1 (instead of having one after the other). I loved the broadcast order when I first watched it. Though if that happened, releasing season 2 on dvd would be difficult without having people buy another version of s1 to get the right order...
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:11 am Reply with quote
Considering the whole thing is confusing enough I assume that these S2 episodes (if they exist that is) would be in proper order.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6