• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Toei's Air Master, Captain Harlock

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redmaigo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!! OMG!!! OMG!!!! OMG!!!! Is this TRUE?????
Will they be redistributing Air Master done right?

OH MY GAWD PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS GONNA HAPPEN?????

Now all I need is 'Denno Coil' and I can die happy.

I would be in heaven if they release both shows on DVD. I only have the first 3 Airmaster DVDs and it seemed like I would never see the fourth one since the demise of Geneon (R.I.P.) Here's to hoping that Funi re-releases both titles!

Maki-saaaan!
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I thought I saw a lot of these shows for streaming on crunchyroll, I just find that interesting.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I want Catpain Harlock and Air Master on dvd dubbed. Tired of hearing about it being too old to be dubbed. Funimation has a massive market share, they can do pretty much anything they want. We're not talking about Media Blasters.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Tofu wrote:
This is pure speculation, but the big reason I could see for not releasing these on DVD in the United States is reverse importation fears. It's a real problem and the market for the classic shows in Japan is HUGE. The money they'd stand to make on a dvd box set release is probably not worth the risk.

-Tofu

Tofu, I don't think that's really an issue anymore considering how Toei released and re-released these shows on VHS and DVD over the past 20 years to its Japanese fans. I believe in this situation, the fans already have their material while we U.S. and Canadian fans don't. I say the time is good to finally release these classic shows on DVD now albeit print on demand.
J-Syxx wrote:
I want Catpain Harlock and Air Master on dvd dubbed. Tired of hearing about it being too old to be dubbed. Funimation has a massive market share, they can do pretty much anything they want. We're not talking about Media Blasters.

But here is the thing though...

Are the original M+E tracks in stable enough condition to warrant creating a new dub over? If not, the only solution FUNi can have in creating a dub is to compose their own music and effects for the shows like they've done for Dragon Ball Z. And quite frankly, the amount of effort for that towards niche based shows is unlikely when you factor in the composing costs and software.

No, in this particular situation, it's just better to have sub only DVDs. I don't care either way, just as long as we have completely uncut shows with their original tracks available. Smile
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Fist of the North Star Eps 1-109 have been posted.
http://www.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=273

Fist of the North Star 2 has been posted.
http://www.funimation.com/video/?page=show&b=274

Lance
Your Friendly FUNimation Guy
ani12

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Cool, they got Pretty Cure ^^
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Lance, if things go well with the online streams, could you probably see if Toei is willing to put the Go Nagai library of titles online in the near future?

And Kinnikuman? Smile
souleater

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Better quality, better experience on Crunchyroll. Plus they had this stuff months ago!
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Yes! This is awesome, awesome news. I'm excited for most of these classic shows, especially Hokuto no Ken and Galaxy Express, which are damn near impossible to find in a decent format on DVDl. ! Funimation is f*ckin awesome for doing this
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I've always wanted to watch the original Captain Harlock series and the second half of Slam Dunk. Imagine my disappointment when I found that there was a region restriction on Crunchyroll. I'm so glad that I'll finally get my hands on the DVDs!

Now, if Funi would also go for Mononoke, then they'll officially become my favorite R1 company.
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
From all the talking on here about Harlock getting released on DVD, you think there might be a good enough market for it being released. ^^

I hope they might take that extra leap. I know of a whole lot (And by that I meant alot) of Australians in my capital city that would order in the Harlock DVDs from America. I know I would X3

But of course what you might have to do is get some famous review websites (who are slightly bias), give them the DVDs then stick quotes over it Very Happy

Getting dubbed would be great but if they do it then it would probably only be subbed.

Well I hope this leads on DVD releases of Harlock and 999 but I doubt if they will do it because of the people who go "BUT THE ANIMATION IS OLD!"

(Maybe if they saved Captain Herlock: Endless Odyssey they might make money. I mean I showed it to my friend in Canada and now he is hooked Wink and now my friends at school also love him. Apparently my best friend would like to see him with his uniform off O_O)
Jonny2x4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:41 am Reply with quote
Nice to see that the entire Hokuto no Ken TV series is available on Funimation's site. Now I no longer have to wait for the weekly episodes to released by Crunchyroll. The only issue I have is that the subs have a very questionable quality to them. It almost feel like they took the Japanese script and processed each line through a translation-bot, with no attempt to check whether the grammar or syntax makes any sense to a native English speaker. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that there was a fansub group that already translated the whole series and did a top-notch work. Even the subs in the short-lived Manga Entertainment release of the series had a superior quality.

I'm probably one of the few people here who would be willing to buy a DVD release of the series with a proper English dub (no drum & bass music) and better subs if Funimation is willing to produce one for the North American market, but I know chances are unlikely due to the vintage of the show. At the very least, it might give Funimation motivation to acquire the license for the new movies.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:59 am Reply with quote
Huh, I can watch these...

you know, that makes Crunchyroll look realy REALY shysty at the moment.

1 advert against thier "PAY MONEY BUT YOU DON@T GET THE REGION LOCKED STUFF SIGNED SOME BONEHEAD WHO THINKS HIMSELF A FRIEND OF THE ANIMUS"

Yeah, I think we have a winner here.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:23 am Reply with quote
Calm, Conan-san. This is Funi were talking about- they've been our friends for some time. I saw no reason to doubt them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:32 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Calm, Conan-san. This is Funi were talking about- they've been our friends for some time. I saw no reason to doubt them.
When FUNi finally get round to releasing the complete AMG second season here, then they will be my friend. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5