• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Guardian

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo, you just don't get Shuffle! What is up with Anime News Network and their bias against psychotic girls and people who can't crack eggs? I found Sia's inability to crack eggs charming, and I will not rest until a reviewer is found for this site who can appreciate incredibly bland, yet somehow broken, characters in their anime. My fandom will not be dragged through the mud any longer.
Power to the psychotic, bland, obsessive, incompetent, large breasted people!

Also, tell your unwanted guests that you've come down with horrible diarrhea or vomiting. Or, that you're trying out a new recipe, but are having a really hard time figuring out how to crack the eggs that it calls for, but you'll let them know when you get the hang of it.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm just like this week's shelf-obsessed, Gina. I too only buy anime that I really really like. I'm not like those other fans who have to buy anything that looks or plays like anime. It's nice to know there are others who purchase anime wisely. Cool
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
See, all you have to do when they ask to come over is go "Oh, sure, come over. What will you be bringing for the dinner? We could use a nice bottle of wine." Just sucker them into it, and maybe they'll get the hint.

I agree with this: "Oh hey, what's up? Why, I'd love it if you came over- I need to get dinner groceries, you can pick 'em up for me! What's that? Pay you back? Ah, c'mon, I'm cooking, you can least pay for the food!" Be insistent until they agree (free dinner) or give up (no unwanted dinner guest).

I only watched one episode of Moribito when it was on AS, and it didn't really grab me... but perhaps I should give it another go. I do rather like the art...
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've been avoiding someone's phone calls all weekend because they've been trying to come eat my food. I'm running out of clever excuses. Please give me some.

My personal favorite way is to tell people that you've recently chosen to follow in the footsteps of Gandhi and therefore you've gotten rid of all your food and are fasting until you achieve independence from Britain.

See, your problem is that you're just making temporary excuses. You need to find ways to get rid of these people long term. Another good way is to tell them they're welcome to come for dinner but then ask if they would be willing to pick you up some rat poison on their way over. Don't elaborate. Just tell them it's very very important.

If all else fails you can just tell them you've become intimately involved with their significant other and you don't think it would be appropriate for you to be hanging out anymore.
Shale

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Have you tried simply reciprocating with a suggestion of dinner at their place sometime soon? If they insist on eating your food and won't feed you in return, call them out for the moochers they are.
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:04 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Faceman wrote:
See, all you have to do when they ask to come over is go "Oh, sure, come over. What will you be bringing for the dinner? We could use a nice bottle of wine." Just sucker them into it, and maybe they'll get the hint.

I agree with this: "Oh hey, what's up? Why, I'd love it if you came over- I need to get dinner groceries, you can pick 'em up for me! What's that? Pay you back? Ah, c'mon, I'm cooking, you can least pay for the food!" Be insistent until they agree (free dinner) or give up (no unwanted dinner guest).

We actually do this with a friend of ours who always wants treats. When he asks to come over, he'll sometimes get instructed to go pick some butter or chocolate chips on the way over. It works very well, because if he doesn't pick up the stuff, then he won't get to eat homemade treats.
We basically have an open invitation with our friends to raid the fridge and cupboard, but basically if someone is mooching too much, of if they've gone a while without bringing stuff over, then they just get asked to bring some drinks or snacks over next time.
It really is a better approach than to simply lie, but it's a lot easier to ask close friends to do this, than to ask someone you don't know as well.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Ranemoraken wrote:
Vol.3 has been out for a while I believe. What excites me is vol.4

Oh really? That's good to hear. I guess the last time I checked in on it, it was still in limbo and with all the other stuff I am collecting I just forgot about it. Fearing the worst no less. Either way, it's good to know it's back on track.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:09 pm Reply with quote
sarsman45 wrote:
I hate Shuffle too. I only thought that Kaede was awesome because she was deranged.

LOL. I didn't hate the show, but Kaede was hilarious. spoiler[Me and my friend had thought she killed Lime Green (we didn't remember their names) and we laughed because he knew something was off about her but he had no idea what. I on the other hand, didn't see Kaede's-crazy-psycho-tossing-knives-down-the-stairs-where-the-hell-is-your father- type so i was shocked.
]

we laughed for a long time.

As for D.grayman I'm enjoying it. I do have to say that somethings confuse me- why can they jump so high and run so fast? And if they can then how come Toto can do it too? He doesn't have powers right?

I thought the episode with the kid was heartbreaking. I enjoyed it though, and got to learn a bit about Allen.
spoiler[
When that Akuma started screaming at him it scared me. The movements they make are so....awkward.
]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
agstar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:37 pm Reply with quote
After reading this weeks shelf life I felt move to Join and post on this column. Was I alone, in hearing bamboo yelling as she wrote the review of Shuffle, It was filled with such a passionate disdain. The series really started off trying to get you to like it. But, it really seamed to rip the rug out from under you, maybe there is a hidden message that we should take to heart. That in truth the women that you would find in one of these harem situations would would be damaged in someway.

Aside from that send the uninvited guess on a beverage run. make the uninvited a lackey, they get the measure, at worse you get something done with then.
rabrek

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Ranemoraken wrote:
Vol.3 has been out for a while I believe.

I stalk several "just in" listings and I can confirm that Moribito v3 was supposed to be out a while ago, but only hit retailers last week. From what I've read, future releases have been rescheduled further apart than originally planned as well.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
I found Sia's inability to crack eggs charming, and I will not rest until a reviewer is found for this site who can appreciate incredibly bland, yet somehow broken, characters in their anime.
You mean Nerine's inability to crack eggs. She lacked pretty much any domestic skills whatsoever.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Bamboo, you just don't get Shuffle! What is up with Anime News Network and their bias against psychotic girls and people who can't crack eggs? I found Sia's inability to crack eggs charming, and I will not rest until a reviewer is found for this site who can appreciate incredibly bland, yet somehow broken, characters in their anime. My fandom will not be dragged through the mud any longer.
Power to the psychotic, bland, obsessive, incompetent, large breasted people!

Also, tell your unwanted guests that you've come down with horrible diarrhea or vomiting. Or, that you're trying out a new recipe, but are having a really hard time figuring out how to crack the eggs that it calls for, but you'll let them know when you get the hang of it.

With that said, I honestly don't understand why Bamboo hates Shuffle so much. What did that show ever do to her? Did it steal her boyfriend? Did it cast her out with a bad haircut and force her to race quads in Florida?

Do any of these reviewers actually WATCH the shows they review before shooting their damn mouths? Just because they review anime doesn't make them right.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
Do any of these reviewers actually WATCH the shows they review before shooting their damn mouths? Just because they review anime doesn't make them right.

Um, yes. They'd be fired if they didn't.

Go take a walk, cool off, not everybody likes the same shows you do.
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:

Um, yes. They'd be fired if they didn't.

Go take a walk, cool off, not everybody likes the same shows you do.

Really. Before you start fanboying all over, you should actually read what Bamboo wrote:

Quote:
Now, before I head into the review for the next review, I have a disclaimer. The opinions that follow are my personal opinions, and my personal opinions only. They are 100% subjective. If you like over-the-top harem shows, then you may like this next show. If you are okay with women who will fall all over themselves to please a guy and/or find it to be hilarious/”just a parody, sheesh!”, then you may like this next show. If you think that girls with tragic pasts are heartwarming/funny/cute/tragic, then you may like this next show. If you've already seen Shuffle!, and you liked it, and will be upset if I didn't like it, then skip to the next review.

She doesn't claim to "be right". Reviews are always subjective, she explains her opinion and that's all. Nobody forces you to agree with her, nor to even read it. As she states herself -_-;;

Quote:
and I will not rest until a reviewer is found for this site who can appreciate incredibly bland, yet somehow broken, characters in their anime.

I'm pretty sure there are some. Higurashi gets good reviews, so do some of the other harem shows like Kanon ... and Baccano as well Anime hyper It just depends if those characters are "well portrayed" or not, in the opinion of the reviewer. Unfortunately for Shuffle they all seem to be in agreement with this:

Quote:
These types of shows are heavily character-driven. Shows with great characters could spend 100 episodes just walking around on the beach talking about their plans to take a road trip to Kansas, but when you don't have good characters, you don't have a good show.

Also to me there is a difference between "somehow broken" and incredibly stupid and incompetent, which seems to be the main problem for Bamboo ^^;;
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
Higurashi gets good reviews, so do some of the other harem shows like Kanon ... and Baccano as well Anime hyper

How is Baccano a harem show?????
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6