• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Guardian

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Okay perhaps I jumped the gun there ^^;

I always think AS jumps throws away stuff they think isn't as entertaining as most of the poorly drawn crap they show on Sunday night or that nothing is as violent as Bleach. I've sort of developed that feeling towards them. So I'll detract my previous statement.

But really, isn't it just inconvenient that the whole rights-to-ownership thing really had to pop up in the middle of airing the series? Talk about bad timing.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Okay perhaps I jumped the gun there ^^;

I always think AS jumps throws away stuff they think isn't as entertaining as most of the poorly drawn crap they show on Sunday night or that nothing is as violent as Bleach. I've sort of developed that feeling towards them. So I'll detract my previous statement.

But really, isn't it just inconvenient that the whole rights-to-ownership thing really had to pop up in the middle of airing the series? Talk about bad timing.

It seems to me that AS has decided, with their anime and comedy viewership being so different, that they can just air any anime they want. Kim Manning is our acquiring lady, she has a preference for the slow-paced, methodical anime. They try to get the usual big hits, but they also go with the slow ones too. Contrast the megapopular Code Geass with the under-the-radar Moribito. It's a nice balance.

So we can dislike the Comedy side of AS that cracks jokes at anime fans, but they also keep airing it and getting new ones, so they are at least respectful of their anime programming. In all their years, AS has never canceled an anime mid-run(that I know of) no matter how low the ratings or late the timeslot, so it doesn't seem like they'd cancel Moribito. I love Moribito too, I also hope it comes back.

Of course the entire "rights in the air" thing could just be a false rumor and AS really did cancel it, but I'm optimistic about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Quark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:

I don't have trouble cracking eggs, I just have trouble cooking eggs right. Like I love my eggs over easy. I don't always get it right when I cook them. Either the yolk breaks and runs every where which makes a mess, or I cook it too long and the yolk becomes solid.

I can cook other very difficult things very easily like lasagna or ribs on the grill and other challenging items, but easy things I sometimes don't always do right.

Cooking eggs over easy in a frying pan at home is pretty tricky, I have to admit. At work, I am the egg cooking queen, I can flip those suckers pretty fast, and they almost always come out looking nice. At home however, it's a different story - I always break at least one of them in attempts to flip them, and they always get that brown crust on them.
But I'm in the same boat regarding an inability to cook simple things. My friend in high school had been over for dinner, and had loved my cooking, and decided it would be a great idea to let me cook Kraft Dinner for her, as she reasoned that it would be amazing. Well, it was absolutely awful, even by Kraft Dinner standards. I can't cook Kraft Dinner to save my life. Luckily, I never use the stuff, so I guess it works out.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:30 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

Maybe they just have very unsteady hands or something? Sometimes simple things can be difficult for certain people for various reasons. Riding a bike would seem simple to some, yet here I am, at 22 years old, and NEVER got the hang of it (not that it really matters to me, but other people are surprised if they are told).

That's the excuse I like to use, but the truth is it's just part of a generalised clumsiness--as has been pointed out in LUCKY STAR(which I recently re-watched) that sort of thing is funny in shows, but in real life it's extremely annoying to the people around me.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:34 am Reply with quote
<spoken>

Moribito, definitely shelf life!!!

The series definitely needs more recognition. It's just right for those looking for a good amount of story with a good dose of action. I have to admit despite it's length I was impressed to see how smoothly went from beginning to end. I said this before in another post. When I was nearing the end of the series it felt like things would be resolved then, but then you're like 4 more eps hmmm what more could be told? And yet they managed to make it work to the point that you never felt like it was too much or it should have ended sooner. I felt very satisfied about the ending.

*Just ordered both sets 1-4. So definitely looking to revisit the story again. Smile
heavyweather

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
From what I've seen, Moribito the Anime is amazing. I do plan on getting it, now that Media Blasters got their ducks in a row.

But I was nowhere near as impressed with the book. It was written at a 6th/7th grade level, and thus didn't tell quite as good as a story as the anime.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
I keep meaning to watch Moribito - if only because it's one of the more recent series Mona Marshall has acted in - but I just can't seem to find the time...

Wasn't it on TV at some point? Confused

Sadly, but just to give it a shot, I'll stick it on the BD-only list ... though it seems kinda disrespectful to all the good shows on there.
Youkai Warrior wrote:
I'm just like this week's shelf-obsessed, Gina. I too only buy anime that I really really like. I'm not like those other fans who have to buy anything that looks or plays like anime. It's nice to know there are others who purchase anime wisely. Cool

What's so foolish about buying [almost] everything that hits the market? Seems like a perfectly acceptable way to prevent anime from becoming a niche product.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Re: Shuffle.

The only saving graces of the show in my view were the protagonist was not totally useless, and the girl he chose was the least broken, seemingly the best choice. Not much else going for it compared to other game adaptation titles out there.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:51 am Reply with quote
The Human Spider wrote:
I didn't think SHUFFLE was that bad of a show, though at one point I kind of thought it might turn out to be another SCHOOL DAYS, which actually would have been pretty funny in hindsight.

That's the reason why i liked it cause it would've been like school days. Hoever there is none but because of that and the fact they combined some of comedy and emotional drama in that harem series is why i like it.Hopefuly this will change people's minds about it.

LordPrometheus wrote:
I wouldn't classify Higurashi as a "harem anime" either. Psycho-thriller murder mystery, yes; harem, not so much. Yeah, it's got the "one guy and a bunch of girls" thing, but that's about where the similarities end.

True enough but because of it it's classified as a type of harem-horror anime,even though the similarities end there. It was the same thing with type-moon's fate series where there's one guy with 5 girls.6 if you count the teacher,but the similatirities end there as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:32 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
What's so foolish about buying [almost] everything that hits the market? Seems like a perfectly acceptable way to prevent anime from becoming a niche product.

I suppose if you sell back the stuff you don't like it makes a market for those of us without money who would just as soon buy stuff cheap...

"Foolish" varies from person to person. It would be foolish of me to buy just about anything right now unless it's in a boxset on sale because I'm flat-broke, but if I was making more money, it wouldn't be foolish at to have been, say, picking up Baccano! piece by piece.
russ869

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I just got the sudden urge to watch Generator Gawl. Like... right now!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:28 am Reply with quote
Generator Gawl was great, or at least the English dub is right up there among Steven Foster's finest.

Maaya wrote:
I'm pretty sure there are some. Higurashi gets good reviews, so do some of the other harem shows like Kanon ... and Baccano as well Very Happy
Don't forget RahXephon, that one got excellent reviews.

Re: Shuffle! -- already got the singles, and as much as I like it, I can't come to its defense. At least not after that laid-on-thick disclaimer Laughing When I first saw it in fansubs, I don't know how many times the first half of the series made me want to drop it. The second half... well, it's angsty, it's dramatic, it's got all kinds of crazy girls and DRAMA, and it's never subtle in the least. So you tolerate the first half, and you either love or hate the second half. I guess it helps to be among the target audience for all the fanservice, which Bamboo is not. So there's nothing unfair about the review.

Re: D-Gray Man -- Saw the first 4 eps at a con because I had to, while volunteering in the video rooms. They didn't impress me, and I don't want to wade through half a series of filler to get to the alleged good stuff.

Re: FMA -- I still can't believe I shelled out the big bucks for the singles (well, TRSI/Best Buy sale prices, anyway), only to let them gather dust for 2 years before finally re-watching the series. They were worth every imaginary cent, though. Speaking of broken characters though, Ed Elric is totally broken. I mean, he can use magic alchemy without a transmutation circle, can transmute his right arm into anything he wants, and has a higher Evade stat due to his low vertical amplitude.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I love my harem. Give a gaggle of cute women throwing themselves at the milquetoast hero any day. But Shuffle!, to quote Bamboo, sounds like Too Much. Same with the drama. The box cutter killed any interest I had of watching it.

Since I loved Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, which Kenji Kamiyama also directed, I'll eventually pick up Moribito. Balsa sounds like a great protagonist.

D.Gray-man doesn't really pique my interest so that's a pass and I already have all of FMA.

One of these days I will send in pictures of my collection.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Re: FMA -- I still can't believe I shelled out the big bucks for the singles (well, TRSI/Best Buy sale prices, anyway), only to let them gather dust for 2 years before finally re-watching the series. They were worth every imaginary cent, though. Speaking of broken characters though, Ed Elric is totally broken. I mean, he can use magic alchemy without a transmutation circle, can transmute his right arm into anything he wants, and has a higher Evade stat due to his low vertical amplitude.

Considering that the mini-bosses have a butt-load of extra lives and some sort of massive attack or defense bonus, I'd say it's not really that much off balance for protagonist.
GrinfilledCelt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo is right about all of these series. I'm going to have to begin reading her column more regularly. Regarding your "dinner guests", Bamboo, I would tell you to be more honest with them and tell them how you feel. If they are any kind of decent people they will be embarrassed at their thoughtlessness and try to make it up to you. If not...well, are they really the kind of people you want to associate with?

OTOH, if you can't bring yourself to be that blunt or you have reasons that you can't just blow them off; tell them blatant, bald-faced lies that they won't miss. "Sorry, but there has been an outbreak of a particularly contagious strain of the Ebola virus at my house/apartment. The Center for Disease Control has encased the building in a plastic bubble and posted armed guards outside with orders to shoot anyone attempting to leave."

Moribito is one of the best series to come along in quite a while. It's gorgeous to look at and the story is enthralling. The only fault I can find with it is that the soundtrack doesn't cut it as stand-alone music.

If you feel the same way about the show (or the books), we have a cozy little group you can get together with at http://moribito.forumotion.com/forum.htm. We're looking for more members.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6