• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Channel Adds Viz Anime Starting in Late Spring

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiuXuande

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nana, Honey & Clover, Monster

Frickin finally! But this is just more fodder for their tv channel...when will we get DVDs?
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/TLIOPsRNXcZaweTFxY/browse/item/83289/4/0/0
NANA

We will have to wait for DVD releases of the others.
I really want all three you mentioned but I guess it's good we are at least hearing about it.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:02 pm Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/TLIOPsRNXcZaweTFxY/browse/item/83289/4/0/0
NANA

We will have to wait for DVD releases of the others.
I really want all three you mentioned but I guess it's good we are at least hearing about it.

NANA's coming first and it's in JULY?!?!
Anime cry
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:17 pm Reply with quote
By the way I see no reason for Viz to put an explicit content label on NANA and giving it a 17+. Especially for these episodes, the worst thing I remember is seeing Nana O and Ren in the tub together in an early episode but you don't really see anything.
The anime industry should come up with one ratings system for everybody to use because while this is 17+ from Viz (Is this because they aren't used to handling anything worse than Death Note?) Funimation would give this a TV 14 and Nozomi might give it 15+ etc.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:26 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
This is rather disappointing to hear. I was hoping that Monster would be able to get on [adult swim] (waits for the usual "but [as] hates anime. Look what they did to Moribito!"). A long series like this needs to get some exposure to be able to be worth the cost of releasing it and I don't think that the FUNimation Channel provides that.
Hey if you want to pester CN about putting it on [adult swim] or any other channel, go for it. I'm sure VIZ would love to have Monster on all sorts of channels.

It's just, it's hard to convince networks to air shows that they can't make a lot of money off of and have a fanbase that mostly just complains about how everything should be free.

VIZ shopped the show around. This was apparently the best deal they could get. Do what you can to make it worth it, that's all any of us can do at this point. When the DVDs come out, buy them, because right now that's what really tells the companies what fans want.
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Monster?!

Funimation is being awesome?

I kind of can't believe it.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Rob Bricken, Shojo anime can be aired on American TV. Cool *

Yay! Needless to say, I am very, very happy about the release of NANA and Honey and Clover, and quite curious about Monster.

I figured that NANA may not have come out sooner because of the music issue (the question the Beck dubbers had, whether or not to dub and completely re-do the songs within the show) but I can't be sure. Does anyone know how Viz is addressing that? Or, for that matter, who voices who in the dub?

*This is a response to RB's answer to a letter writer in Anime Insider magazine that Shojo anime would never make it on American television. Sigh, RIP, AI!
luhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:58 pm Reply with quote
midnighteve wrote:
luhead wrote:
If only they weren't dub only... Anime cry (not a big dub fan)
I'm sorry if this makes me come off as a total idiot but, does that mean Nana will be aired dubbed? If so, anyone know the voice cast? Has it even been announced. Ugh. I feel so out of the loop! Crying or Very sad

As for the Funimation channel, is it only available through Comcast Digital? And how much is it to order? Sorry for the barrage of questions. Embarassed

All the Funimation stuff currently being carried is dubbed. I really don't know about the Viz shows or if they will even show up on the Anime Selects channel.

Anime Selects is free with Comcast digital, but you have to live in an area that has Comcast.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Sweet, the Funi channel has been fairly worthless until now (unless you like old Slayers eps repeated 5 times a day).

My only request is they list the episode number in the information for the cable box. I can never tell which ep is which.

Planning on following the NANA dub via Funi network on FIOS.

Are they gonna post a schedule with episode #s somewhere?

-Tofu
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Yes, Rob Bricken, Shojo anime can be aired on American TV. Cool *

Yay! Needless to say, I am very, very happy about the release of NANA and Honey and Clover, and quite curious about Monster.

I figured that NANA may not have come out sooner because of the music issue (the question the Beck dubbers had, whether or not to dub and completely re-do the songs within the show) but I can't be sure. Does anyone know how Viz is addressing that? Or, for that matter, who voices who in the dub?

*This is a response to RB's answer to a letter writer in Anime Insider magazine that Shojo anime would never make it on American television. Sigh, RIP, AI!

Good question. If it was Funi I would be almost sure of dubbed songs but this is Viz. I do know that I want the Anna Tsuchiya inspi Nana Black Stones and the OLIVIA inspi Reira Trapnest CD's released.
malik_chan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:41 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
This is rather disappointing to hear. I was hoping that Monster would be able to get on [adult swim] (waits for the usual "but [as] hates anime. Look what they did to Moribito!"). A long series like this needs to get some exposure to be able to be worth the cost of releasing it and I don't think that the FUNimation Channel provides that.

Good for the other shows, though. They would never made it on TV anyways. Well, maybe Buso Renkin.

There is no proof Moribito got shafted. However there are rumors that there are delays or problems going on dubbing it. Your paranoia makes me laugh.

Also: awesome, I think I get the Funimation Channel On Demand, so woot, there is Monster to see!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:00 am Reply with quote
malik_chan wrote:
braves wrote:

Good for the other shows, though. They would never made it on TV anyways. Well, maybe Buso Renkin.

There is no proof Moribito got shafted. However there are rumors that there are delays or problems going on dubbing it. Your paranoia makes me laugh.

Also: awesome, I think I get the Funimation Channel On Demand, so woot, there is Monster to see!

I'd hardly call it paranoia considering the current state of anime on Cartoon Network and adult swim versus what it once was. Plus Moribito didn't get close to a full run and there is no indication that it will be back on. Certainly it might be true that there were other issues involved, but the trend on that particular network makes them suspect.
mrgetalife

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:34 am Reply with quote
Pretty much Funimation needs outside people to join into their network. Hopefully they reached a decent mutual agreement behind the scenes. I assume this is just so it doesn't end up like the Anime Network. Where only one licensees products are shown and their catalog is only so deep. Hopefully now that the market's tanked a bit they'll work a little closer together.
Senna

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:51 am Reply with quote
I'm so glad to hear something (anything!) about Honey & Clover's license, but ... I'm still waiting for that DVD announcement, Viz.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:48 am Reply with quote
This is great news!

Well, it would be, if I could watch this mysterious channel and/or had the knowledge of how to get this channel without switching from Comcast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4