• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Introducing your family to anime.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luminal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Hello everyone,

I have always been a huge fan of anime and I wanted to share that with my family. My wife at first hated the idea of watching anime because of what I guess were bad experiences with the little anime she had had access to. Basically the few shows she had been exposed to had lots of submissive girls in skimpy outfits and some guy was always saving them and then I guess sleeping with them. I really did not know what to show her, so I decided to start with one of my favorites: Naruto. Surprisingly, she really got into it, up to the point that she watched over 140 episodes. The only thing she didn't like was of course Sakura. And then she watched Death Note. She found it very interesting. Maybe the one I am going to show her next is Monster.

I waited until my daughter turned 4 to introduce her to anime. Anime has more complex plots than the children movies in the west and i was afriad she would not understand them and dislike them forever. I started with Totoro and she really really loved it. Then she saw Kiki's Delivery Service. I wish i could show her more, but I don't really know what to show her. I noticed there is a recommendation thread and there is a category for child-safe anime, but there isn't one specifically for little children. Maybe it's time to create one.

How did you introduce your family (or friends) to anime?

Luminal
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I've tried many times, but most are unsuccessful. I have gotten a few friends into anime. But it tends to be an up hill battle.

By the way. There is a thread about this already here. I think that's the type of thing your talking about, right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Luminal wrote:

How did you introduce your family (or friends) to anime?
My surefire method of introducing anime to my coworkers is lending them my collections of anime series with smart, strong, and attractive female characters. And then I let them be the judge of that. But it's hard to find anime series like those, when the Japanese society is anything but pro-feminist.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Anime has always been in my family. My mother used to watch it when she was growing up in Japan. However her views about it now are such that she does not care for it at all, except for some family friendly stuff here and there that she will watch. My dad though never caught onto it. My brother will watch some stuff but he's not obsessed with it like. My sister has started getting into conversations at school with some people that she knows, and has been getting into watching some stuff here and there lately ever since I introduced her to Lucky Star. But we always watched it while we were living in Japan but it never caught on as a hobby or obsession. Until I came back here did I really get caught onto it, and that's because I discovered ANN and its community.
SakuraAlchemist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:42 am Reply with quote
off the top of my head, i would think Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar would be suitable for your young daughter. :< but i can't think of anything else State side that i've seen.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:54 am Reply with quote
SakuraAlchemist wrote:
off the top of my head, i would think Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar would be suitable for your young daughter.

You know, that's the same series I used to try and get my sister back into anime. She liked it, thought it was cute, and is actually keeping it, since I didn't want it. That's probably a very good series for little kids to start off on anime.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:21 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
SakuraAlchemist wrote:
off the top of my head, i would think Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar would be suitable for your young daughter.

You know, that's the same series I used to try and get my sister back into anime. She liked it, thought it was cute, and is actually keeping it, since I didn't want it. That's probably a very good series for little kids to start off on anime.
If you can still find it, you could give Princess Tutu a try.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:57 am Reply with quote
maybe when your daughter is a bit older you can go with a show like Angelic Layer. There wasn't one objectionable scene (that i can remember anyway). The only thing it has is simulated fighting. with remote control dolls. Yeah its pretty tame. but because it does have fighting, that's why i said wait til she's just a lil bit older. plus, for you wife, i started a thread about trying to find gateway shows that are non offensive but highly entertaining:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=114475
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shobob

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:59 am Reply with quote
I've never really tried to get anyone into it. I've talked about Haruhi with a couple of friends before, both of which, off their own back, decided to watch it. After they did this I started to reccomend other anime to them.
LKK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:

Princess Tutu gets pretty intense in the last quarter's episodes. If the OP's daughter is the type of child who gets caught up in what she's watching, he may want to wait until she's a little older before showing Tutu to her.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
DomFortress wrote:

Princess Tutu gets pretty intense in the last quarter's episodes. If the OP's daughter is the type of child who gets caught up in what she's watching, he may want to wait until she's a little older before showing Tutu to her.

Yeah don't show it to a young daughter who gets caught up in something...I had the same experience when I watched it first. I was bawling for literally the whole afternoon and some weeks after that over the end of the series...and I was much older than like, 8 or so. .___.

Gakuen Alice which is coming out subbed might be a good bet, but its hard for a very young age group. And, without fail, always try Miyazaki. Ponyo is a very child friendly and adorable movie that's actually coming to the states dubbed, so keep an eye out for that.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:25 pm Reply with quote
First, pre-screening is a must. If you've watched Narutaru you'll understand why.

Shows for young children are hard to come by legally in the States. They're usually not picked up by licensors unless they're a franchise like Pokemon. There are a variety of "magical girl" series like Cardcaptor Sakura or Sailor Moon, but they include material that not every parent would find acceptable to show children.

I'm a fan of Mahou Shoujo Tai Arusu ("Tweeny Witches" in R1) which portrays plucky young girls living in a world of magic. The underlying story is a dark one, though, about exploitation of weaker species. It might be worth waiting a couple of years, though you and your wife may enjoy previewing it now.

I second the recommendation of Angelic Layer; it might even be appropriate for four-year-olds. Most of the cast is female, and most of them display strong idealism and commitment to their chosen hobby.

There's the usual recommendation of Miyazaki films; my daughter's interest in Mononoke Hime got me started watching anime. That said, even the more accessible movies like Spirited Away might be a bit too complex for pre-schoolers.

As for you and your wife, might I add a couple of other recommendations? There are a number of excellent "josei" shows you both might enjoy like Nodame Cantabile, Hataraki Man, or Tale of Saiunkoku, as well as shows for wider audiences like Moribito and Twelve Kingdoms. Nodame is a bit of a flake, but the women who star in the remaining shows are all compelling heroines.
Luminal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Thank you all for your great suggestions.

Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar, I looked for it, but it seems it hasn't been licensed in North America yet. My daughter is only 4 and it will be a while until she is able to read subtitles.

Angelic Layer is one I remember I used to watch, I thought it was pretty cool, although I think I will wait a bit before showing it to my daughter.

Princess Tutu looks very cute, looks exactly like something she would like. Of course i'll pre-view it before showing it to her.

Gakuen Alice looks nice, I will look for a licensed version and preview it before showing it to my daughter. i'm afraid it's too complicated, but it's about gradeschool and my daughter is starting kindergarten next September so it might even be useful.

Ponyo reminds me of the Barbapapas, I can't wait until it comes to Canada dubbed.

Sailor Moon That is an awesome idea!! She is gonna love that one!

Tweeny Witches I think she will enjoy this one. I hope there is a dubbed version somewhere

what do you guys think of these ones?

Castle in the Sky
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

For my wife,

The Story of Saiunkoku , this one looks really interesting. I think I will watch it first.

12 kingdoms This one is one of the most amazing stories I've ever seen. I think I will watch this one with my wife next.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

Luminal
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Luminal wrote:
Thank you all for your great suggestions.

Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar, I looked for it, but it seems it hasn't been licensed in North America yet. My daughter is only 4 and it will be a while until she is able to read subtitles.
Luminal

It's under the title of Sugar, A Little Snow Fairy in North America, and was licensed and dubbed by Geneon. It's available for purchase at places like Right Stuf (where you can get all 6 volumes for $30--although you're in Canada so you might want to try elsewhere.) It's a cute series, although didn't catch my interest. It very much felt like an 80s Saturday morning cartoon to me.

For your wife, another series based on a josei-manga series is NANA which is being released in North America by Viz. The first set comes out this summer, I believe. If she enjoys drama and music, she might like this one.

With regard to Nausicaa, I think you might want to wait until your daughter's a bit older for that one. I'm not sure it would keep the interest of someone very young, and while it has a good moral, it was probably more intense than might be suited for her. Then again, I could be wrong.

I'm lucky--I actually met my husband due to anime (Sailor Moon), so we have quite a lot of fun collecting and watching.
grave_digger18

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
With regard to Nausicaa, I think you might want to wait until your daughter's a bit older for that one. I'm not sure it would keep the interest of someone very young

I dunno. I saw Nausicaa a few times when i was around 5-6 years old and I loved it. Granted the harder concepts i only understood when i rewatched it (which was a week ago actually) but the fact that i remembered the movie 17 years later goes to show that, at least to me, how great i saw it as a kid.
I'm sure it can also be used to explain to kids all about pollution and the environment while they're watching
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3