• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Guin Saga (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3 was alright, what got me a little mad was spoiler[the battle between Guin and the Count lasted about 5 second and nothing interesting happened. Hey, lets smash glass and shoot it at you and then you'll most probably die even though your not human, oh FIRE!] Besides that it was alright, this show has improved a lot since the first episode which I really didn't like.

Last edited by Analog_Now on Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:37 am Reply with quote
Wasn't that in episode three? * rubbing eyes, still sleepy * Yeah, that fight was short Very Happy But Guin was cool, especially against the K...k....Karoi (?) tribe. spoiler[Truth to be told, I am not that certain that Guin killed the Count and his minion like ... "forever", but perhpas I can't adjust to the level of adaptation (seems like targeting younger audiences). Anyway, I watched the 4-th episode untranslated, because I am impatient, and as much as I understood, Guin and the Crimson guy talked about "nosferatu" (<-> Black Count). So maybe there is more to it.
Otherwise, the party is trying to escape through the river Kes, which turns out to be a very dangerous route in itself. Additionally, a cool hime-chick appears and she is connected to the Mongauls - although their uniforms are different, they have this Scorpio insignia on the chest. Guin rocks as usual and saves Suni in a very cool way.]
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:08 am Reply with quote
Yup, it was episode 3. I guess I was a little sleepy at the time I wrote the post.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote
I'm glad the anime is based on the novels and not the manga as that, apart from being an alternative universe, was too short, and very disjointed in it's story telling.
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I'm glad the anime is based on the novels and not the manga as that, apart from being an alternative universe, was too short, and very disjointed in it's story telling.

Mohawk52, may I place a personal request? Embarassed
Would you please list some of the main characters' names you remember from the novels as they are translated in English? The engrish and the three translations available are too much to handle in this regard Wink
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
rainbowcourage wrote:
Episode 3 continued the upward trend we've been seeing, particularly that last shot of spoiler[Guin & children falling into the water [snip]]

I couldn't help but laugh at how spoiler[Guin decided that he should protect himself from the really _really_ high dive by putting the kids between himself and the water so that they could cushion his impact]. ^_^;; Well, that's how it looked during the falling scene.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
rainbowcourage wrote:
Episode 3 continued the upward trend we've been seeing, particularly that last shot of spoiler[Guin & children falling into the water [snip]]

I couldn't help but laugh at how spoiler[Guin decided that he should protect himself from the really _really_ high dive by putting the kids between himself and the water]

I'm glad you liked that, although I was referring actually to the way the camera panned upwards just as Ishtavan stood; it was pretty cinematography-wise, and it created a nice mood and juxtaposition between Guin & kids and Ishtavan.

Episode 5 has finally been subbed, and this seems to be moving at a pretty steady pace. I have a feeling they're covering a lot of material very quickly. Can anyone spoil the novels for me and tell me if Rinda and Remus ever grow up? I really hope they do, I like seeing full-scale growth and would look forward to that.

Also, I am hoping Amnelis doesn't turn out to be spoiler[Ishtavan's "princess of light" though I doubt it's Rinda since Remus is destined to be the ruler of their kingdom.]
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 6:

Guin also looks good in armor, period.
The Sems have nipples. In stock.
I have otitis bilateralis - "Nospherus" meant "No Man's Land" with a death mushroom in the middle. Now, this is important. The Mongauls fight for domination and they'll meet the Sems in ratio at least 3:1 in the next episode. This should be interesting Wink
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:08 am Reply with quote
Oh wow already episode 6. I'm so behind in watching all the fansubs and I really wanted to see how this show progressed. Guess I should start watching them this week to get in par with all the episodes that are out.
arachneia

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:31 am Reply with quote
Mike On Top wrote:
Mohawk52, may I place a personal request? Embarassed
Would you please list some of the main characters' names you remember from the novels as they are translated in English? The engrish and the three translations available are too much to handle in this regard Wink

Although I'm not Mohawk, I'm fairly certain that the names were transliterated as Rinda and Remus (although Linda would make far more sense), and they were frequently called "the Pearls of Parros." Guin is Guin, Aura is Aurra, and beyond that, I don't remember much.
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, it is great you clarified this.

Hmm, I don't remember "Aura" except in one case - it was like one of the two words Guin remembered when he awoke in the Forest of Rude (episode 1)? It seems it becomes important as far as the story goes, so I hope we can see to it (I read there are 13 episodes planned, which is quite short for a saga and over 100 volumes of manga).
arachneia

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Aurra is the word Guin remembers in relation to his past. Also the forest is either Rood or Lude. Not that it matters much, but 'Rude' just seems kind of weird.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 8:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 6 was impressive. This is the first real fantasy series I've seen that doesn't make me roll my eyes at some point. Even the twins aren't annoying since (surprise!) they're not given that much screen time. It's mature, engaging, and clever. The villains are not evil, creepy old men you hope Guin slaughters, and Guin himself is enigmatic though not necessarily altruistic.

The only thing I didn't like about this episode was Guin's "plan." spoiler[We'll rely on a miracle? Seriously? We'll unite all the tribes and rely on a miracle? He struck me as more of a pragmatist. I was hoping he would go harness some sand worms or something and turn them loose on the Mongol troops.]
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote
Nice avatar, Rainbowcourage Smile

Quote:
The only thing I didn't like about this episode was Guin's "plan."

Well, I took it as an essential step if the Sems are to fight instead to flee. They recognised Guin as one of them and trust his strength. Additionally, they have better knowledge on the terrain and if they exploit it well lead by Guin, they have their fair chances we might see revealed in the battle. Although, you know, I agree - skipping the how-to part reduces the quality of the "make-believe" one.
Mike On Top

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:00 am Reply with quote
Most of us already know the news of Kaoru Kurimoto's death, announced few days ago. Unfortunately, I am familiar only with the current TV adaptation of her Guin Saga and I hope she was happy seeing it finally brought to the TV viewers as well. Condolences to her family and fans.

-----------

Episode 7:

The battle for Nospherus began with bold manoeuvres from the two opposing sides. Perhaps my impression only, but it seems to me that Guin has built his strategy spoiler[not only on taking advantage of the Sems' secret weapons and knowledge on Nospherus], but also spoiler[on deliberatly challenging the Mongauls' confidence in their overwhelming number and superior warfare]. His planned encounters with various Mongaul commanders certainly left them spoiler[at odds, pissed, pride hurt, and quite angry (if not directly humiliated - Astreas, Amnelis, oh Amnelis Very Happy)]. Most likely, "Vavan" would shine his way in the next episode spoiler[with an undercover mission] - anyway, spoiler[he is the only one capable in properly faking a Mongaul soldier] Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4