• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyo no Gononi Manga Gets Original Anime DVD Green-Lit

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:48 am Reply with quote
then what were the 2006 Today in Class 5-2 OAVs if not an adaptation of the manga?
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:56 am Reply with quote
loka wrote:
then what were the 2006 Today in Class 5-2 OAVs if not an adaptation of the manga?

Even though Avex's earlier OAV version shipped on DVD, it was not called an "original animation DVD" project since it wasn't bundled with manga (as that term is now defined). Also, Kodansha hadn't coined the OAD category yet. The 2006 OAV version has a different cast and staff from the 2008 television series and this new project.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:10 am Reply with quote
They wanted more 5-2 which is why the anime companies complied with the fans wishes.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:24 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
loka wrote:

Even though Avex's earlier OAV version shipped on DVD, it was not called an "original animation DVD" project since it wasn't bundled with manga (as that term is now defined). Also, Kodansha hadn't coined the OAD category yet. The 2006 OAV version has a different cast and staff from the 2008 television series and this new project.

I think the idea of the OAD is stupid. If it's theatrical, it's a movie. If it's on TV, it's a TV series. If it's released directly to DVD in any form, it's an OVA. I guess ONA is one that does work, since it's broadcast on the net first, but certainly closer to OVA than anything else.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:20 am Reply with quote
A third adaptation of a one-volume series?!

That must be some kind of record.

I'm pleased, though, since I like it a lot and I wasn't very happy with the earlier versions...though I have some doubts that Sakuraba's style of comedy can work in an animated format.
eazydoseit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
wow another one?! i think this is getting out of hand........still wanna see it though.....
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read the original manga, but, if the two previous adaptations are any indication, I find it to be far weaker than Minami-ke (Sakuraba's other work). Not that I don't get any enjoyment out of the individual vignettes, but I find all of the characters feel like supporting characters in someone else's anime.

Minami-ke also has a fairly large cast of supporting characters (at least by the standards of "cute girls do cute things" anime), but they exist around a solid core (in this case, the three Minami sisters) that is just lacking in Kyou no Go no Ni.

I do like that Kyou no Go no Ni doesn't give male characters short shrift, unlike most other recent late-night-aired (or short OVA) otaku-oriented slice-of-like school comedies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I haven't read the original manga, but, if the two previous adaptations are any indication, I find it to be far weaker than Minami-ke (Sakuraba's other work). Not that I don't get any enjoyment out of the individual vignettes, but I find all of the characters feel like supporting characters in someone else's anime.

Minami-ke also has a fairly large cast of supporting characters (at least by the standards of "cute girls do cute things" anime), but they exist around a solid core (in this case, the three Minami sisters) that is just lacking in Kyou no Go no Ni.

I do like that Kyou no Go no Ni doesn't give male characters short shrift, unlike most other recent late-night-aired (or short OVA) otaku-oriented slice-of-like school comedies.

I would think that the problem with the original source manga is that it is too short. With only one volume you can only go so far with a story, especially if you're adapting it and trying to stay as close to the source material as possible. It just creates obstacles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1