• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Woman Arrested for Threatening One Piece Creator Oda

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't say at which point Oda reported them either. He might have blown it off at first, figuring she's get over it & it was only after they kept up that he reported it to the police & they started investigating. She might have been told to stop & ignored it, etc. As an employer, Oda might be used to a certain amount of ire & wrath in these situations (unless he's never actually ended an employment before. Maybe all his people have left his employ for other jobs).
Crystal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually a huge One Piece fan as well.

When I first saw the title though, I was worried it might have been a little more serious though. Glad Oda's OK.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Oh, come on. Why should she get arrested for this? We all wanted to do it. Laughing
DomFortress

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Altorrin wrote:
Oh, come on. Why should she get arrested for this? We all wanted to do it. Laughing
It's like wanting to rape someone as oppose to actually raped the person. There's the precedent of wanting to commit a crime, as to actually committed such crime that makes one guilty of such act.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
She was an idiot or what? -__-'
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Shepperoni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:41 pm Reply with quote
She sure was foolish. Didn't she know Oda's got the entire nation of Japan at his back! Plus us American otakus! Anime smile
daxomni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Some people have the mentality that everyone deserves a job and that it's evil to fire someone, even if they are a full-blown incompetent.

Where are these people? I hear about them all the time but I've yet to ever meet anyone like that.

Richard J. wrote:
Plus legally you can't just fire some people without extremely good reasons due to labor laws.
Imagine that, needing a good reason to fire someone. What an outrage. Incidentally, here in Texas we have what's called "at-will" employment, which basically means that you can be fired for "any reason or no reason at all." That's literally what it says.

Richard J. wrote:
[I] don't actually know for sure about Japan.

Assuming we're still talking about legal options, in Japan it's even easier to fire someone than it is in the US. Japanese politicians, however, seem to have some sort of Polident Super Grip on their job titles. It's a weird and befuddling situation to say the least.

Richard J. wrote:
Meh, I'm sure the messages were threatening and that Oda likely was suffering a bit due to it but it doesn't sound like she ever really got past the level of an Internet troll.

If I were a manager and I got threatening messages from the family of a fired employee over the course of months I'd probably be more than a little concerned about where it might be going from there.

Richard J. wrote:
Did the police just want to get that much evidence or are cellphone messages just that hard to trace back?

The Japanese justice system is notoriously slow moving but they do have an absurd conviction rate hovering near 98%. If you're charged, you're probably going down. And if you're charged as a gaijin, lord have mercy on your soul.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
People are just fired for the heck of it, I really wish more people would understand that.
Some people have the mentality that everyone deserves a job and that it's evil to fire someone, even if they are a full-blown incompetent. Plus legally you can't just fire some people without extremely good reasons due to labor laws. (At least we have laws like that in parts of the U.S., don't actually know for sure about Japan.)

Meh, I'm sure the messages were threatening and that Oda likely was suffering a bit due to it but it doesn't sound like she ever really got past the level of an Internet troll. I'll bet the sheer volume of the messages was the real irritation rather than fear of a loony coming to kill him. Crazy woman clearly isn't all that bright if "die, die" is her best.

Kinda shocked it took so long to catch her though. Did the police just want to get that much evidence or are cellphone messages just that hard to trace back?

I meant aren't, must have it was quite early when I wrote that message though. Though I agree with you completely.
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:19 pm Reply with quote
What a stupid woman. So her husband happened to get fired at Oda's office, and now it's suddenly Oda's fault? Sending threatening messages to someone isn't gonna get her husband's job back. Both her and her husband are going to have a hard time finding jobs now. Who in their right mind would hire someone, or the husband of someone who threatened a manga artist? Yeah, that will work out for them. Rolling Eyes (sarcastically said).

This is the first time I've seen Eiichiro Oda's picture. He's kinda good-looking. Embarassed
Wellness

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I understand how much it sucks to lose your job, especially in the down economy. But yeah, she went about it the wrong way.

And by sending threatening text messages more then once or twice, she is at minimum harassing Oda but around the hundred amount, she might seriously need help. I will pray for the former for her and her family's sake.
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Reminds me of what happened to Anno after ending Neon Genesis Evangelion, receiving death threats in his inbox. Some of which simply said in repeat: "Anno, I'll kill you!"
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote
dont mess with the oda. see what happens? damn gum gums
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
don't mess with the oda. see what happens? damn gum gums

That made me laugh. But I wonder if the woman knew this wouldn't solve anything? It's almost as inane as trying to make a house pet actively watch television.

Either that or she went off the deep end of the Grand Line.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2