• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sherlock Hound Anime Streamed in English on YouTube

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:26 am Reply with quote
Yay! Please do Lupin next, TMS-san! Crying or Very sad
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote
What's odd is I think TMS is uploading the episode's in Production Order, as opposed to air date order. I have no issues with that, but it's interesting to see that they're doing it. These episodes were actually produced a couple years before the main series (which resulted in a number of key staff members to be changed as a result), since if I recall correctly, production had to be halted in order to sort out legal issues.

The only issue that'll occur is the fact that the first two episodes by the air date order, introduce both of the main characters and take place within a day from each other (with Watson looking for Holmes' apartment after encountering him aboard the ship in episode 1). Ah well...

Still, it's great to see this made available for free. While I prefer the Japanese version (despite being cut down somewhat for unknown reasons) for the voices, the english version will suffice. Particularly because I've yet to watch the entire thing in english as of yet.
nicomorr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:25 am Reply with quote
Surely Miyazaki was only directly involved with four episodes was it?

And I understand the whole coproduction was fraught from day 1, cultural misunderstandings as well as legal & financial issues.

But I like it a lot & it's one of the very few anime that I like to watch with the English dubs. I mean Sherlock Holmes! 'The Games afoot Watson' just don't seem the same in Japanese. Especially as the Japanese sound comes out as Watoson ...... cracks me up when I hear it. I'm a Holmes geek of course.

I have a couple of DVDs somewhere of this, not the whole series unfortunately, they were pretty hard to get if I remember back 10 years or so correctly.

Nico M Twisted Evil
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:33 am Reply with quote
Well that was a fun watch (I've heard about it, seen a couple clips, but never really saw it)

Now I'm sad the DVDs are hard to find (The first couple of volumes go for a good 50 Bucks on ebay and that's just USED)
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:58 am Reply with quote
nico: I'm surprised no one's chosen to renew the R1 rights to cash in on the new Robert Downey, Jr. movie.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:10 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, that was great fun to watch.

Opps, I lied, because aprently TMS, the makers of the show don't have the rights to show it in the uk.

What the hell? Why is ineternational copyright so eff'd up? Why is everyone so fliping stupid with their international copywrights.
Shirubie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:25 am Reply with quote
"This video is not available in your country. "

Evil or Very Mad
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:54 am Reply with quote
Conan: I'm guessing Arthur Conan Doyle's estate would sue them the way Maurice LeBlanc's estate threatened to sue TMS over Lupin.
nicomorr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:06 am Reply with quote
Shirubie wrote:
"This video is not available in your country. "
Evil or Very Mad

And they wonder why people go off & torrent instead.

I might have a DVD or 2 of this to sell ... pm me please. not here on the forum.

Legal DVD I bought in the US some years ago.

Nico M Very Happy
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:50 am Reply with quote
Coincidentally I am in the middle of reading the complete works of Sherlock Holmes now so maybe I will check this out. Very Happy
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:01 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Yay! Please do Lupin next, TMS-san! Crying or Very sad

I hope so too. I haven't seen or heard of that series since it's limited showing on AS. IS the series still out on the US???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:22 am Reply with quote
At first I was astonished to discover a series I hadn't heard of before, but then I checked the vintage and the series is older than I am Laughing From the first couple of minutes of the 1st episode it kind of reminds me of the early 90's when nick jr. would air children cartoons from Japan like Grim's Fairytales. It's pretty nostalgic.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote
AWESOME! Very Happy Sherlock Hound was my first anime I watched without knowing it was an anime lol I had the VHS of the first few episodes at home so to be able to watch the rest of this series is SO awesome Very Happy Thanks ANN for letting us know!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Wow...this is a nice surprise. I've been vaguely interested in seeing at least a few episodes of this series ever since I first heard about it.
Shale

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
This is the best news I've seen in a pretty damn depressing week. TMS is awesome.

(Seconding the plea for Lupin next!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2