• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-04-10]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote
Yes Case Closed does require a big suspension of disbelief, but then again stories of children solving crimes isn't new only it's now murder and robbery over fraud and robbery after the fact (does anyone remember The Boxcar Children or Young Detective Brown?)

As to anime quotes verbatim, not so much although I do remember this little phrase.

"I am that is, my sword shall wield through me."
Myaow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
ARGH, THAT OCTOPUS

Favorite anime cliche: All the dead people show up and are all like "YOU CAN DO IT, MAIN CHARACTER!" Best character development device EVER.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:

It goes, "I am that is, my sword will wield for me."

Like LordRedhand, I don't remember anime quotes. I can however, recite The Guardian's opening speech from Ultima 7: The Black Gate from memory. I lack Bill Johnson's awesome voice, though.

konkonsn wrote:
I'm a sucker for the magical transformation trope as well.

Here's another one for magical transformations. I did however get annoyed at Tokyo Mew Mew for showing Ichigo's transformation in full every damn episode, while the other girls always get a shortened transformation sequence. I don't think the other girls got the full sequence shown more than twice each.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
BrianaTheBard wrote:
Has Lianna watched Princess Tutu yet? God-tier Magical Girl anime.

She mentioned it in her response, so I'd say yes. Very Happy " Princess Tutu sounds like one big, overly-cute mess when you read the synopsis or even the title, but the series manages to be amazingly touching and funny and interesting"

I'm always happy to see positive mentions of Princess Tutu.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Doh! man my hearing must be off, as that's how I remember it, (and before you say subs this title doesn't have any and yes I'm watching it in the original language.)
_Emi_

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:42 pm Reply with quote
LordRedhand wrote:
Doh! man my hearing must be off, as that's how I remember it, (and before you say subs this title doesn't have any and yes I'm watching it in the original language.)

Well, that's how the line went in the book. I haven't watched the show. Although I can't see them changing it.
ArthurFrDent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:34 pm Reply with quote
"who the hell do you think I am?" - kamina, gurren lagann

oh and how many different ways can you say "chi' and be astoundingly cute saying it? obviously enough to hook me... [Chi, Chobits]

"ban-kai" anytime Kurosaki says it in Bleach...

with any of those, there is so much visualization that comes with it, it's hard to call that 'verbatim' when there is an image in my head that goes with it...

Last edited by ArthurFrDent on Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
underbase

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
Like LordRedhand, I don't remember anime quotes. I can however, recite The Guardian's opening speech from Ultima 7: The Black Gate from memory. I lack Bill Johnson's awesome voice, though.

Yeah, I got a few good non-anime ones. I didn't like Blade Runner at all, but I remember Rutger Hauer's last lines:

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-Beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time...like...tears in rain. Time to die."
Mysticmidnightmaiden

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, random quotes from memory:

"You're already dead."

"Did you hear it? The voice of the wind..."

"YAH YO YA~H YO~!!"

"Who's that Pokemon?"

"It's all going according to plan..." (aka KEIKAKU DOORI/JUST AS PLANNED)
lordescamh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
This one response to the question of the week nearly made me spill water over my laptop

"...The Ultimate Ultra Super Friendship Family Eternal Holy Power Mana Spiritual Sacred My Last Shot This Is All I've Got Shining Magical Attack of Destruction and Salvation!"

Seriously, I couldn't get past Shining without hearing Domon Kasshu.

too much win
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:02 pm Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
QFT.

Why oh why did Ca$h $uck Vi$ual U$A have to charge an arm and a leg for their release of Honneamise?

At least I managed to find a used copy of Manga Entertainment's release on eBay for cheap. Better than plunking down an arm, a let, or even your firstborn for Ca$h $uck Vi$ual's release. (And I don't even see the point of having to also buy the Blu-Ray disc that's bundled in when most of us still don't have Blu-Ray decks, or when any of us just want the DVD by itself!)

We simply call it extremely niche marketing. It's similar to one of those institutional education video that cost $150.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If that was considered “long-winded” in any sense then I dare you to spend possibly ten minutes reading Pitchfork Media.

TOO TRUE. Although I have to admit when I write my own reviews I try to just as long winded... or even more-so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redgem89

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Favorite cliché? Easy one! The battle is almost lost. There is no energy left in our hero's body. He can't move, it's all going to end... wait, what's that? Whose voice is this... oh! It's from his girlfriend/childhood friend/sister/brother/father/platonic love! After hearing it, he remembers of all the people he has met, notice that he's not alone, and that all those people's powers are being transfered to him! This is it! With the power of all of his friends, he will defeat his opponent, with... The Ultimate Ultra Super Friendship Family Eternal Holy Power Mana Spiritual Sacred My Last Shot This Is All I've Got Shining Magical Attack of Destruction and Salvation!

That had to be hands down my favorite part of this week's Answerman! It reminded me so much of Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon, and so many other shows. Especially Sailor Moon because it seemed like it happened to every Sailor Scout atleast once each season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
topleka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
LordRedhand wrote:

It goes, "I am that is, my sword will wield for me."

Am I going nuts or is that not even from an anime? Something in my inner being says it's from a book.

Alternately, what is that quote from?
DarkRyter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if responding to a flake about hentai with a video about a tentacled animal was the best of ideas.

Maybe it's just my dark, deviant pervert within speaking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4