• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Retailer: Gunslinger Girl Manga Ending at 15 Volumes

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam_omega

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
I'm glad Seven Seas picked the title up, but I haven't been happy with the size of the books. I think you lose a lot of detail in the artwork, but I'm still buying them and supporting the series. I'm also not too crazy about some of the covers.

Seven Seas' editions are the same trim size as the Japanese releases (5" x 7.125") and are using the actual original digital art files instead of scans of printed volumes.

- Adam Arnold
Seven Seas Entertainment
http://www.gomanga.com/
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:55 pm Reply with quote
adam_omega wrote:
One-Eye wrote:
I'm glad Seven Seas picked the title up, but I haven't been happy with the size of the books. I think you lose a lot of detail in the artwork, but I'm still buying them and supporting the series. I'm also not too crazy about some of the covers.

Seven Seas' editions are the same trim size as the Japanese releases (5" x 7.125") and are using the actual original digital art files instead of scans of printed volumes.

- Adam Arnold
Seven Seas Entertainment
http://www.gomanga.com/
It means I wouldn't be too crazy about the Japanese version size either, too bad that Seven Seas seems to be limited to that sizing. I prefer it about an inch larger all around. Don't get me wrong I'm sure plenty of people are happy with the size as it is. I'm only stating my personal preference and I don't mean it as some heavy handed criticism of SS. As I said previously, I'm happy that the title was picked up and that people new to the series will be able to purchase it.
otakunomike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:55 am Reply with quote
The only issue I would have with the sizing would be the natural problem of Omnibus' having multiple volumes in one. Its so much page compared to my original Japanese volumes holding it can be tricky to read the middle of the book without damaging the spine, but at least with GSG its only 2 volumes and not 3-4 like some other series.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:00 am Reply with quote
GSG Omnibus 1 and 2 are both 3 volumes. I do get a little nervous about the spine with Omnibus 2 because it is thicker. The 2 volume ones aren't a problem to me though.
victor viper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:15 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I hope we can get something better than that sequel at some point. Preferably by Madhouse.

Trying the sequel straight after finishing the original was my doom. Couldn't even stand the first episode.

Don't give up on the second season after one episode, particularly since its first episode is admittedly kind of generic and boring. While the look of season two is radically different (and not for the better) than season one, in some ways it's closer to the look of the manga. For instance, I always thought that the character designs in season two were a bit more faithful to their manga counterparts. And season two is a bit less episodic in nature than the first season.

As far as the manga goes, I wouldn't mind seeing Seven Seas release volumes 13-14 together and then do some sort of special edition for the 15th volume (maybe including the two color booklets from the Japanese releases), but I'm not holding my breath.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
...and another one bites the dust. At least I know I still have quite a bit more to read 'til it's over.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2