• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Dragonball Opens at #1 in 5 Asian Markets

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:59 am Reply with quote
so it came out overseas, before it came here? interesting strategy they're working with.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:05 am Reply with quote
Interesting that you chose to spin it as a "success". News Corpse must be keepin' you on a tight leash for an upcoming exclusive. Rolling Eyes
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:19 am Reply with quote
Umn, spin? Unless they are outright making up lies (which I doubt), it was a success at the box office. Maybe not some record breaking blowout, but it did well.

Who knows how it will do in the US, of course.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:23 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Interesting that you chose to spin it as a "success". News Corpse must be keepin' you on a tight leash for an upcoming exclusive. Rolling Eyes

I am sorry that Dragonball failed to reach Number 1 in three of the 8 markets that it was in but the Oversea sales where good in Asia.

Lets be serious Asia is not known for its huge box office numbers.
Jonasan
ANN Video Director & Producer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:27 am Reply with quote
Opening at number #1 does not equate to being a success. That's not how it works. Wait until the second weekend to see how big the drop is, and then you can gauge whether it's a success.

The first weekend only reveals the hype from all the marketing dollars spent.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:34 am Reply with quote
Jonasan wrote:
Opening at number #1 does not equate to being a success. That's not how it works. Wait until the second weekend to see how big the drop is, and then you can gauge whether it's a success.

The first weekend only reveals the hype from all the marketing dollars spent.

Ok, I was hasty to call it a success. What I meant was that it had a decent opening weekend, at least, while Gatsu seemed to imply it had somehow already failed and was merely being spun by ANN to sound better.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:51 am Reply with quote
At least so far it's not a bomb. Laughing

I guess amongst all, the Chinese don't mind how their Journey to the West is adapted.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:51 am Reply with quote
FYI: in Taiwan the movie is #5 of the first weekend, behind Slumdog Millionaire (34 theaters, 1st week), Departures (20 theaters, 3rd week), Watchmen (64 theaters, 2nd week), and Friday the 13th (57 theaters, 3rd week), despite of having more theaters (74 theaters), particularly if you compare it with Slumdog Millionaire, which has 5.7 times box office in less than half theaters.

Source: @movies
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:37 am Reply with quote
Charred:
Quote:
Lets be serious Asia is not known for its huge box office numbers.

Oh, I don't doubt that. But this sucker should at least be making $20 million, considering the legacy of the source material in that region. Dunno if China counts, though, considering they like to ban stuff.

Jonasan: Well, my issue is that you neglected to emphasize its secondary status in Japan, even though that was more of a key market than the other Asian countries. I never thought I'd see a Miike movie beat anything from Hollywood, though. Congrats to him. j
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote
Number one or not, I just wanna know how good it actually is. I've seen quite a few 'number ones' that were actually quite bad. I pray its deserving of its number one spot and also pray it isn't really all just because of the hype Sad .
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:59 am Reply with quote
What's really weird about this is that---at least in Korea, where I am---the movie isn't really the same in Asia: it's 85 minutes instead of 100. Why on earth the producers thought it would be a good idea to show an extra-short cut over here is utterly beyond me; every time I think of an explanation, I apply logic and it vaporizes. This suggests that the producers/distributors are not actually being logical.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:59 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Jonasan: Well, my issue is that you neglected to emphasize its secondary status in Japan, even though that was more of a key market than the other Asian countries. I never thought I'd see a Miike movie beat anything from Hollywood, though. Congrats to him. j

We didn't emphasize the #2 status in Japan in the introduction because it might not have the #2 status. As the article reports, the two main sources for Japanese box office information differ in preliminary numbers for the other movies. The same goes the #1/#2 status in South Korea, which is why that country isn't emphasized in the introduction either. Fortunately for Japan, the more concrete numbers for the other movies should come in for ANN's usual Japanese Box Office report later this week.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:18 am Reply with quote
I see. So will you still get any banner ads after Zac's review? Wink
A5J4DX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:24 am Reply with quote
lets see how it does in the us and uk Very Happy im defo going to go see it the db series is the greatest show ever!
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote
so they made 10millions back so far. I wonder how much do they need to break even.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3