• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - I Think We're Alone Now

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
I can't recall the last time I saw an anime character with freckles, scars, or even intricate tattoos.

Last season. Ritsuko from Kids on the Slope had freckles.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
Last season. Ritsuko from Kids on the Slope had freckles.

Yuniko from Accel World and Lisbeth from Sword Art Online would be two more recent anime examples.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:22 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

I mean, come ON, there's not even a beach or hot springs episode to piss you off.

Much to the despair of fujoshi everywhere.

Well, there ARE a few shirtless scenes....

To be fair, the Japanese Director said "you can view them however you want. If you think they're a couple, then you're right. If you want to think it's a bromance, then you're right." He did it on purpose, so people aren't wrong for thinking if Tiger & Bunny are in a romance together.
Bonham

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote
The Film Theory and Criticism book is at its seventh edition. And yeah, it is expensive, but if someone is willing to take the plunge... I think David Bordwell's writing on film art and history would be great, too.

I'd also recommend people just go out and familiarize themselves with criticism, period, as well as reviews (A.O. Scott, Manohla Dargis, J Hoberman, Jonathan Rosenbaum, Glenn Kenny, etc.). All too often people just refer to Roger Ebert when they talk about or refer to film criticism, as people do with Beethoven or Mozart with classical or Miles Davis or John Coltrane with jazz. There's a whole world out there, people! It's easy to fall back on popular, household names and pretend that you really know or are familiar with things, but it's a lot better for you (and society in general) when you get even more perspectives.

ittoujuu wrote:
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
I'm very impressed Zac and Justin described how difficult it is to "turn off" film appreciation on most anything they view. This should help put a different perspective on their opinions if people remember this. It always bugged me when people often summarize a review with "Welp, there goes Zac hating on moe again." while ignoring the reasons for the opinion.

That was probably the most interesting part, to me, because I'm glad to hear about other people who do that too, who have the over-analytical sensibility that causes them to end up with a rather eclectic list of favorites because the things that really massage their narrative zones are often different than what the general populace seems to gravitate toward.

This also brings up a point that the person asking the question should consider: just as you shouldn't feel ashamed for viewing stuff passively, you also shouldn't view thinking of things critically as being "anti-entertainment." One of the most enjoyable, fun things about knowing film theory is being able to understand the hows and whys of what's going in any given movie or television series. I find it fun to think about why I love or hate something. Watching a minimalistic, slowly-paced, black and white Hungarian art film can be just as enjoyable for me as watching some silly but well-made American superhero blockbuster, but in a different way. And it's not as though you have to act as a part of some mythical hive mind when it comes to more "ambitious" works: I can love stuff like Mushi-shi, Texhnolyze and Haibane Renmei but not care that much for Kino's Journey or Ergo Proxy (or, God, Gasaraki).

It's all about what you find entertaining. Simple as that.
Sceleris

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:
This also brings up a point that the person asking the question should consider: just as you shouldn't feel ashamed for viewing stuff passively, you also shouldn't view thinking of things critically as being "anti-entertainment."

I'm the guy who sent in that question (thanks, Zac and Justin, for discussing it!), and I think I might've expressed myself a little awkwardly in that it's not that I would look down on anyone else for being a passive viewer, but that I want to hold myself, personally, to a "higher" standard. I know I could do better. So it kind of dismays me when I read or hear intelligent explications or analyses on character building in the Patlabor franchise or gender issues in Utena or whatever and I can only go "yeah, I saw those shows, they were good" because I don't really reflect on stuff while I'm watching. (And if I do, I certainly don't internalize to the point that I can bring it up in a discussion months or years afterwards.) It feels like I'm missing out!

So nah, I don't think of critical evaluation as being anti-entertainment at all. On the contrary, I think it's rather essential for me if I'm to continue getting enjoyment out of anime for another decade or two. For now I've got this "reading assignment" from ANNCast, so I'm hopefully off to a good start. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BarCho66

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Well, I don't think that either Zac or Justin are particularly fond of Code Geass and I wouldn't expect any of their likely guests to be either.

Excellent reading comprehension but I wasn't referring to Zac or Justin
[quote="Surrender Artist"]
Perhaps you shouldn't even listen to it.[/qupte]
I guess you're right
Bonham

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
Sceleris wrote:
So nah, I don't think of critical evaluation as being anti-entertainment at all. On the contrary, I think it's rather essential for me if I'm to continue getting enjoyment out of anime for another decade or two. For now I've got this "reading assignment" from ANNCast, so I'm hopefully off to a good start. Wink

Good attitude to take. It's not something that immediately comes to you, but you get better as you try look at more things critically. God knows I still have a lot to learn (as does anyone).

If you're looking for something online and free, the Yale site is a pretty good starting point. I used that as a reference before I even got into college, so it helped me at least get the basics down before moving on.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:26 am Reply with quote
I can totally relate to Zac on Tiger and Bunny. I have tried watching it 3 times only to get distracted each time (I have gotten to episode 11 and even though it started to pick up I still got distracted). I feel better knowing it isn't just me I was starting to feel like I somehow failed as an anime fan because I didn't fall in love with it right away like everyone else in the fandom apparently did. Well when Viz releases it I will look at pick it up.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:35 am Reply with quote
It's not surprising to hear ANN podcast is scraping bottom of the barrel. Thinking about it, I've noticed repeat guests 2 or 3 three times since I started to listen to the podcast three years ago.

Zac, may I suggest Ben Ettinger of Anipage Daily for another try? His opinion on anime isn't what you're looking for, but he has the eye for art that puts anime fans to shame. Come on, he analyzed Dir. Mamoru Hosoda's directorial style in 2004 on his blog. That's years before anyone else.

I consider him as Giorgio Vasari of Japanese animation because he introduced history of Japanese animation from biographical standing to us westerners.

When Daryl Surat starts to talk about Sakuga fans and Ichiro Itano, you can tell that he was influenced by the blog.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Pick a year, not in any order. Get a regular participant and together pick a half a dozen shows. Not on the basis of best, but rather on the basis of interesting to talk about. Avoid shows already talked to death. Then discuss just as you did with the decade shows. You might even let the twitter types nominate one show for discussion.

Something like this would not be as hard to set up and would be just as interesting. Sometimes a show that tried and failed or succeded in spite of its self gives more to talk about than one everyone agrees is best.

Personally, I would not look forward to a show like that. The main reason being that one would have to have watched tons of shows first of all. I am not sure the majority of ANN users have watched, say, at least 1000 shows. The second reason is many might not listen to a podcast about shows the might have never heard of.

Do not underestimate shows that have been talked to death as the basis for a great discussion. Just mention something like the meaning of Evangelion, and people will probably tune it. Also, if I say that Cowboy Bebop is a mediocre story with amazing production values, that will probably get a reaction too.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't suggesting that the choice be random. Rather that both year and subject matter be picked for its interest value. I think that for any year between 1990 and 2011 you could pick a half a dozen shows that while not necessarily "the best" would elicit a lot of interest. Earlier years would be a bit harder, but still could be done.

The shows to be discussed could be posted and twitter questions taken. As for shows people haven't seen, maybe they would find something new to watch.

While I'm sure Evangelion could be discussed again, doing so would probably cause Zac's head to explode. Take for instance Fate, Stay Night. I don't think that was on anyone's Top 10, howeve, a discussion of that would likely result in several pages of discussion.

My thought was this, I enjoyed the discussion of the shows in the decade podcasts. I was trying to come up with something similar that wouldn't take three months to prepare and could be done with ANN staff and regular contributors. The idea is not set in stone.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
A few years ago back in 2010, we'd put together our own 2000-2009 anime retrospective. Rather than putting out a ranked list, we opted to just name titles that were "noteworthy" for being particularly good or (in some cases) memorable failures. It took us 5 pretty darned long podcasts just to get through it all by year, and we still left some key things off.

reanimator wrote:
When Daryl Surat starts to talk about Sakuga fans and Ichiro Itano, you can tell that he was influenced by the blog.

Bit of an aside, as the rest of my comment is largely unrelated to the topics of this ANNCast: although it's true that I do think Ben Ettinger is awesome for doing the kind of legwork that can only really be done if you can actually read Japanese, Ben tends to like a lot of things I don't care about for reasons I generally place little emphasis upon (and vice versa). His approach to watching things and writing about them is more or less alien to me, so while I do try to remember to read Anipages--his coverage of Masaaki Yuasa is particularly excellent--I don't think I'd say I'm "influenced" by his stuff.

Ichiro Itano is on my radar for two reasons. One, because I've been a Macross fan for...hmm, I guess it's "decades" now! Two, Itano has directed several of the legendary "bad" anime titles I happen to have a soft spot for, such as Angel Cop and Violence Jack, so when he makes something I generally have to look at it.

I don't really know the whole sakuga scene much other than noticing how lately, people get angry at me when I say Birth totally sucks. I figure it must be that more people know who Yoshinori Kanada is after having found out that Gurren Lagann/Panty and Stocking's Hiroyuki Imaishi named him as a big influence. Being into key animation requires a certain personality type that I don't really have. So I'll watch the Youtube compilations and read the writeups, but that's the extent of it for me.

Last edited by Anime World Order on Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Galap

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
It's not surprising to hear ANN podcast is scraping bottom of the barrel. Thinking about it, I've noticed repeat guests 2 or 3 three times since I started to listen to the podcast three years ago.

Zac, may I suggest Ben Ettinger of Anipage Daily for another try? His opinion on anime isn't what you're looking for, but he has the eye for art that puts anime fans to shame. Come on, he analyzed Dir. Mamoru Hosoda's directorial style in 2004 on his blog. That's years before anyone else.

I consider him as Giorgio Vasari of Japanese animation because he introduced history of Japanese animation from biographical standing to us westerners.

Yeah, the one area that this podcast has yet to really explore is the vast area of animation itself. There's an extreme wealth of discussion to be had about animation in multiple facets, and the show hasn't really gone there yet.

I suspect this is because for some reason anime fans tend not to really know what good animation is. I'm not saying they have bad taste in animation really, but more that they don't give the matter much thought and don't know about it. It kind of puzzles me a bit; why would people be so into an animated medium if not for (at least in part) the art of animation?

Anyway I would love to see a show talk about sakuga or something. That would really be a great show, because it would be really educational to a lot of people.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
@Anime World Order
I wasn't suggesting covering a year in depth but rather just using a given year as a point of focus for a podcast's worth of discussion. Perhaps Justin could give a intro as to the state of the industry as of that year and any significent trends seen in retrospect.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I suspect this is because for some reason anime fans tend not to really know what good animation is. I'm not saying they have bad taste in animation really, but more that they don't give the matter much thought and don't know about it. It kind of puzzles me a bit; why would people be so into an animated medium if not for (at least in part) the art of animation?

A lot of anime fans don't understand the difference between "art" and "animation" and why an increase in the quality of one will (depending on budget) generally cause a decrease in the quality of the other.

I've met quite a few anime fans who wouldn't know good animation if it walked up and kicked them in the shins.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6