• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - I Think We're Alone Now

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Anymouse wrote:
I contend that the number of viewers dedicated enough to pay high prices may be growing. The market may not be ready to support this today, but things may be different tomorrow.

I would also suggest that the actual audience for something like Strike Witches or Vivid Red Operation may in fact be inelastic in respect to price already, if not a few years from now.

And what evidence do you have to support your claims? Or is this just wishful thinking with no bases in reality, much less past history.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

Look at Deadman Wonderland,

Must I?

Quote:
it's release in Japan was unremarkable but here it got over a million viewers on Toonami. I think Funimation is easily going to make a profit on it.

Ok...and? I don't see the connection.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote
farix wrote:
Anymouse wrote:
I contend that the number of viewers dedicated enough to pay high prices may be growing. The market may not be ready to support this today, but things may be different tomorrow.

I would also suggest that the actual audience for something like Strike Witches or Vivid Red Operation may in fact be inelastic in respect to price already, if not a few years from now.

And what evidence do you have to support your claims? Or is this just wishful thinking with no bases in reality, much less past history.
There may be a bit of wishful thinking, but there is some basis. Let's compare Funimation to Geneon: Geneon bombed years ago while attempting to sell "moe" shows, but Funimation turns a profit with shows that are not much different in style. The market has actually changed, in my opinion. Ten years ago Clannad would not have been licensed, today it is considered an obvious buy to many. So I see that the market is changing and these shows are getting more marketable, and therefore the fandom is getting more established and willing to pay through the nose. Already we find Aniplex prices becoming acceptable, and I can see them getting closer to the Japanese price.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
reanimator wrote:
Nope. He was able to meet animation professionals and visit a studio years after his blog. Having met him in person, he is a professional translator by trade.

Just to answer Myaow's inquiry, here are the links:

animenewsnetwork.com/chicks-on-anime/2008-11-04

http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/what_makes_animation_interesting

Since we're on the subject of "Sakuga", I was able to see Evangelion 1.0 and 2.0 key animation drawings from Eva Pop museum at J-Pop Festival in San Francisco two days ago. Although the drawings are not labeled with animator names, I recognized drawings by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, Takeshi Honda, Hidenori Matsubara, and others.

I'm grateful to folks of J-Pop Festival who setup the museum display of those beautiful drawings. People outside of Japan, especially the west, don't have opportunity to see something like this.

Thanks for the links!! This is great stuff. I'm steaming with jealousy at your opportunity to see all that Eva production work too; that sounds like it must have been amazing.

You're welcome. Yes, it was amazing. My eyes were analyzing sensitive, intricate lines of the drawings up close. I wished they showed storyboards, production designs (model sheets), and background paintings, but K.A. drawings were good enough for me.

Displays had very nice, professional museum look. It was a lot better than random anime cel painting displays at Cartoon Art Museum. Also they displayed Eva T-shirts (I LOVE their Street Art version and I wanted to buy them so bad). They displayed figurines and Mari and school uniform costumes.

All drawings match the ones in the Groundwork of Evangelion 1.0 and 2.0 art books. They wouldn't let me take pictures, so I asked a press photographer to take my pic. Also I took detailed notes of the drawings using Groundwork art books as reference. I can tell you which drawings were in display.

Here's the link to J-Pop fstival. I hope they posted museum pics.

www.j-pop.com
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:54 am Reply with quote
There doesn't seem to be anyone around...................

(Yes, I've been waiting to say that!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6