• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragonball Evolution Opens at #8 with US$4.8 Million

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
An adaptation of Full Metal Panic when not even Dragon Ball could earn a decent amount on its opening day? Ha!

I was skeptical before, and still am, that most Hollywood live-action anime adaptations not based on any nostalgia properties shown on American kiddy television would ever be made, but lack of awareness amongst the mainstream population of the source material isn't always a negative. Most people weren't aware that Men in Black was based on an Aircel/Malibu/Marvel comic, for example. People went for Will Smith, Tommy Lee Jones, or simply because the movie looked fun.

The success or failure of a hypothetical Fullmetal Panic movie, if it is made, will depend on the stars, director, script, effects, or simply whether or not it looks like it'll be enjoyable to watch. I don't think lack of awareness of the anime would really hurt it that much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jih2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:34 pm Reply with quote
JackCox wrote:
This proves, Never f*** with the source material.

I haven't seen the film but in all honesty I think this is part of the reason we're never going to get a quality adaptation made. God forbid if the same thing isn't spat out just the same way into a different medium for us to consume in the exact same way again and again until the end of time. Does anyone really want that? Personally I want them to make changes for the better and take the source material into their hands to make something better. Anime fans often complain about "creativity" being almost nonexistent in anime as a whole why are they limiting new possibilities on the big screen? Whether you actually believe in creativity or not we can all agree that constantly delivering the same thing over and over again gets real old real fast right?

Between that and the average fan's eyebrow falling off at the idea of "that moron who directed Apocalypse Now" directing their beloved classic. Am I the only one who thinks there is such a negative reaction to quality directors being used for comic book, video game, etc adaptations?

I still think they should try to get Godard out of his recluse lifestyle, hand him the Bebop DVDs, $45 million and tell him to make whatever changes he needs to. Hell Scorsese would be more fun.
Dante80

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I knew it'd flop! =D Now watch as practically all the other anime film adaptations are gradually unceremoniously canceled. An adaptation of Full Metal Panic when not even Dragon Ball could earn a decent amount on its opening day? Ha!

The answer to this question is very simple. Dragonball failed NOT because it is a cartoon/anime/manga LA adaption, but because it is a terrible, TERRIBLE movie. I stole this film some days ago and I'm still weeping for my loss of bandwidth. Rolling Eyes

Let that be a lesson to Hollywood companies that decide to do a half-assed job on a very well known and marketable source material. But lets make this clear. If other adaptions get the can because of this failure, than that would be utterly ridiculous from a business point of view, even for the brain-dead Hollywood industry. A show does not sell because its bad, end of story. And if companies want to handle future adaptions (like FMP and CB) the same as Fox handled DB, well, its better to cancel them now to save the embarrassment later.

The problem is not with the fans. Its with the companies...
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:55 pm Reply with quote
i thought the movie was really fun Very Happy i went to dave & busters then the midnight showing with a whole bunch of friends. on happy hour its $3.60 for a crown and coke. the bartender had quite a savage pour too. cant go wrong with that Smile
DFBTG

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
D Dubbs wrote:
Mikuru wrote:
Did anyone even see any ads on tv for this? I didn't.

All the advertisements were on kids networks. They weren't going for the adult demographic.

I saw a few commercials on Adult Swim, but then, I think it was during Code Geass last week. Or was it during King of the Hill? Both? Whether you think Adult Swim is a kids program block (and how many kids actually stay up till 2:30 AM on Saturday nights) I'll leave up to you.

I would just like to say that I contributed to that #8 position by seeing the movie. I was hoping it would be the next Mortal Kombat 2, but...it wasn't. It was terrible (didn't mind the beginning, but as it went on the more and more I couldn't help but think the writing was terrible, and the giant "WTF" in regards to Goku at the end didn't help...plus the fighting sucked), but not awesomely terrible like MK2. So sad.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm pleasantly surprised that America didn't fall for this "in name only" adaptation. Looks like no sequel.
Thank you, America!
s.alsa-man1991

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
There was a decent amount of promotion on cable TV in southamerica, both aimed at children and adults. The movie sucks so hard. As a film, it doesn't work at all. Basically it's chain of non-sequiturs, badly choreographed fight scenes, atrocious dialogue and bad special effects. Also, I thought Justin Chatwin was playing Peter Parker instead of Goku, but maybe that's just me.

Emma Iveli wrote:
(tosses fake arm at a movie screen showing Dragon Ball: Evlolution)

And that's why you don't put Goku in high school...

By the way, they're already working on that movie. Or so goes the rumour around Hollywood. But I'm sure they won't screw up, since it's the same people behind the tv show.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:20 pm Reply with quote
You know what the worst part is? I'm almost certain they'll blame internet piracy for the low turnout instead of them making a bad movie. A claim like that is absurd. If they made a movie people want to see, you can't replicate the theater experience at home with bad camrips. That's why people go see summer blockbusters, because it's awesome to watch it in the best way possible.

I really hope this crushes all plans for sequels and maybe even discourages other studios and producers from adapting other anime projects.

My real question is, who were they aiming this movie at? People my age (21) were about 11-12 when DBZ was in full-swing on Toonami. Had a DB live action come out around then, then we'd have gone and seen it. Skip to 8-9 years later and most of us completely grew out of DBZ or anime all together. And 12 year olds now are watching exclusively Naruto, so they're not the market for DBZ either.
Mr. Anobe

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm...you know the other worst part is?

It got beaten by Hannah Montana in 1st place. Rolling Eyes
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Anobe wrote:
Hmmm...you know the other worst part is?

It got beaten by Hannah Montana in 1st place. Rolling Eyes

Everything got beaten by Hannah Montanna. It's probably just a slow time for movies right now, and that movie in particular appeals to all females from like 6-13, obligatorily. That's a decent turn-out, and their parents also have to take them, so those ticket sales as well.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
kkofthefunkoff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
OTAKU POWER! were the ones who've boycotted it let it be a lesson NO LIVE ACTION ANIME! period.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I am so proud of myself! I wasn't one of the people who gave them money to see how bad it is! I think I'll reward myself with an ice cream sandwich!

Seriously, I have to question who this movie is made for. I don't think it's made for non-anime people, they probably don't care about DBZ and/or think it's just some show where people have spiky hair and fight each other. And it's not really appealing enough to rake in people for being an actually good movie based on a larger series that you might not have seen the rest of like Serenity could.

And they sure didn't make it for Dragon Ball or DBZ fans, we all know the backstory and don't want to see it murdered. I don't think most of us wanted to see this movie be made ever, we just don't want it.

So who is the intended audience? I think is just a pet project....
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
As for marketing, or the general lack of it, it's obvious Fox knew it had a turd dirtying its hands, so they weren't going to waste big bucks advertising it in North America and they were just unceremoniously dumping the body overboard on a weekend when nobody was going to pay much attention to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:38 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:

Oh angry Hitler, he's so cute.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10