• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragonball Evolution Opens at #8 with US$4.8 Million

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_X_box_360

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Run for your lives.... it's a BOMB!

/rimshot Cool
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I saw this movie.

I didn't want to. My boyfriend made me. He said, "It's good to see crap sometimes so you can be reminded of how much you appreciate gold. And we're fans. We're obligated. Come on."

So I went. I told him I'd only pay matinee, but I did go.

-.-'

As someone who 100% backs the making of live-action anime adaptations, by Hollywood:

THIS MOVIE WAS ONE OF THE WORST THINGS I'VE EVER SAT THROUGH! IT WAS TERRIBLE! I FELT LIKE I WAS BEING FLIPPED OFF FOR HAVING ANY NOSTALGIA FOR THE ORIGINAL and they ruined Yamcha for me... Crying or Very sad

...and it deserves to flop like a dying fish in the hot hot sun. Suck it, Fox. Or, excuse me, suck it, whoever directed this thing.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Congratulating yourself for not seeing a movie and behaving like this film's failure is some kind of otaku triumph is really, really stupid.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Variety says this is what FOX predicted. Worldwide the movie IIRC is just under or around $30 million with a budget of $45 million. It should make money if not durring the theatrical run, the DVD and Blu-Ray release should.

Also, having actually watched the movie twice. I actually enjoyed it. And guess what? I wasn't high, I wasn't drunk, and I wasn't in a mood to kill myself. Nor was I tearing the movie apart in the theatre.

If you can escape the flaws, DBE provides a lot of fun. And that's what I asked for when I paid $11.50.
KitsuOtaku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
All I have to say is....HA! I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN.

Now we can make fun of the live-action Avatar and it's all-white cast.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TheVok

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
this film's really, really stupid.

Improved. Very Happy
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
$150 million of crap, if this guy who knows Ramsey @ 2:32 is right.

Emma:
Quote:
And that's why you don't put Goku in high school...

No, that's why you don't get people with no experience with this kind of genre attached to a project.

Tatsu:
Quote:
Has anyone else notice how Anime Fans are becoming more and more like angry Star Wars fans; not happy with anything Star Wars past the 70's?

You mean anything with SW past the special editions. But they did ironically like Fanboys, so...

Quote:
I fear for the Ghostbusters 3 movie.

I noticed them seem to be Die Hard 4'ing it, but I still have hope for it, nonetheless.

Hexon: No dots in "The One". And it didn't suck that much, if you haven't already seen Jet's best moves. But then it was Jet who made it watchable, so...

D Dubbs: That's pretty much why the movie was a failure in the first place. There was no need to dumb down the material for kids. The other successful comic book movies were at least PG-13 and did well.

Fanfic: If they started the movie with Z, and then worked with the first series later down the line, like they're doing with LOTR, then things would have turned out better.

Tenchi: I thought people went for MIB, because they milked the appeal of the X-Files and alien autopsy with that fake news report, while cashing in on ID4, by making people think it was a spoof. As for FMA, it won't make money unless it looks like Wanted. Gun-play movies are a dime a dozen nowadays, and even Max Payne had to learn that the hard way.

Quote:
it's obvious Fox knew it had a turd dirtying its hands, so they weren't going to waste big bucks advertising it in North America and they were just unceremoniously dumping the body overboard on a weekend when nobody was going to pay much attention to it.

It's scummy the way they kept trying to play defense and get the cast and crew to attack the fans, though.

mrsatan: No sequel, but possibly a reboot. And Americans don't buy crappy name-brands, unless they're forced to. [See "Made in China".]

wal: They can blame piracy all they want, but when Wolvie opens to #1, they'll have no place to hide.

Zac: Bringing down FOX is a helluva triumph, though. That Watchmen settlement won't even begin to cover the production costs.

Primus: I imagine most people are going to Netflix it, not get it on DVD/BD.
Labbes

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
TokyoGetter wrote:

Oh angry Hitler, he's so cute.

Hitler is not available in my region. Ironic, isn't it?

Don't have much to say about the film, only that the assessment of many people I often share opinions with made me decide that I will not spend my hard-earned *cough* money on this film, but buy another copy of Troll 2 instead. That's how you do a movie that's so terrible you can laugh at it, Fox.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quote
To all of you who are busy dancing and cheering, I sympathise with you. However, there will be a sequel. So don't get too happy; enough people went and saw this abomination in Asia that a sequel has been all-but greenlighted. This is the 7844th entertainment-related reason why there is no God.
jsyxx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Congratulating yourself for not seeing a movie and behaving like this film's failure is some kind of otaku triumph is really, really stupid.

Yeah, criticizing people for disliking a crappy movie. You sure are the "smart" one who doesn't make stupid, pointless comments all right. You expect otaku to support everything that sucks right?
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully any one of the people involved in this film will have the cajones to show up at Anime Expo or Otakon and give a roomful of the true Dragon Ball fans or just the anime fans in general a sincere apology for the contemptuous bastardization of one of the most popular anime franchises of all time.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
D Dubbs wrote:
Mikuru wrote:
Did anyone even see any ads on tv for this? I didn't.

All the advertisements were on kids networks. They weren't going for the adult demographic.

Which is where I saw the ads for Forbidden Kingdom about 1 month before that movie opened.
I don't know about you all, but I've been seeing the DB:E ads on Adult Swim for about a month.

Would it have been nice to see a DB movie true to the manga? Of course.
Could they make it?

Take yourselves back, kiddies.
DBZ in the 1990's & earlier part of this decade HAD TO BE CENSORED to protect the American kiddies it was allegedly aimed at. 12 yr old Goku was cute & fearless & all, but the American audience for comic book movies isn't 12 yr olds. There was 1 mom with 2 kids when I arrived at Regal today for the first showing. The rest of the audience was adult--not even teen. Adult.
In America we can't have little kids growing up on their own in the forest. Child Protective would have removed Goku to a foster home. Sorry otaku. When my daughter watched Pokemon back in the late 1990's the first thing that ran thru my head was where was Ash's parents? Goku sort of needs a guardian. I mean, come on, Toriyama showed him taking care of himself, but we all know real little kids don't stay the same size (I assumed Goku was about 5 or 8 when I first saw DB). By the time Bulma met him, he'd be wandering around in a loincloth or naked. Clothes to fit wouldn't just appear from nowhere.
So as much as we all love cute little innocent Goku, he doesn't really translate to live action. Only in the world of animation where we can have a tram full of adults stuck on a wildlife preserve & none of them possess a cell phone when every other damned person in this worl seems to possess one so they have to damn up a river so the animals in Madagascar 2 have to go free the water could we have a child survive on his own for as long as Goku did.
So we jump up the story to where the 2nd Piccalo appeared where Goku WAS about 20 yrs old, wasn't he? KRILLIN, who everyone is whining about here, was expecting Goku to be his own size & Goku wasn't, was he? Bulma is about 4 yrs older than Goku & Yamcha is about a year older than she is as I recall. Gone also is the tail as it was by the time Goku was this age. A different excuse is used for transforming into Oozaru. Goku still does transform. He still ends up with Chi Chi (no Ox King, though it's obvious she has money & she knows martial arts). Yamcha is a thief waylaying people in the desert. Bulma Briefs created the Dragonball Radar. She is the heir to Capsule Corp & falls for Yamcha. Roshi is a perv, though not quite as bad as in the manga & anime. So she doesn't have blue hair. That little trend seems to be dead, doesn't it? In the late '90's I saw a lot of people with green, blue, or scarlet red hair, but not anymore. In fact, I seem to recall Bulma's hair on the manga covers was closer to the color of Trunks & her father-lavender which is a color I actually only see once in a while on old ladies.

I enjoyed it far more than Madagascar 1 or 2, Medea goes to Jail & I didn't find my mind wandering as it did many times during Watchmen. I could argue Watchmen is an older story so what may have been an incredible plot twist in its original day is tired/old/predictable now, but DB is also about that same age. Watchmen was somewhat indulgent. DB:E isn't.
It's not as bad as you're all making it out to be. Zac's never been a DB fan by his own admission, so no shock he hated it.
Could it have been better? Sure.
Is it as bad as you all who haven't seen it are making it out to be? No. Compared to other martial arts films where we need to waste a certain amount of screen time on the master training the disciple & thus lose valuable screen time, no. I love Kung Fu Hustle, but at least we didn't get that version of martial arts here (campy)
icepick314

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
i'm surprised that it even placed in top 10...

will wonders never seize?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:05 pm Reply with quote
MUAHAHAHAHH THE FANS WIN! Take that fox! Twisted Evil
sdhd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I saw the movie. I thought it was good compare to other movies showing at the theater such as the "Knowing."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10