• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragonball Evolution Opens at #8 with US$4.8 Million

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cliffjxn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:33 am Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
Zac wrote:
People don't hate it because it isn't a faithful adaptation, people hate it because it's a really, really bad movie.

But most people aren't saying "I didn't like it because it was a bad movie" they're saying they didn't like it because they changed things.

I hated it because it's a bad movie that's full of plot holes, sub-par SFX, and cliches. I also hated because it was an obvious placeholder - a movie made simply to occupy theater screens and fulfill Fox's contracts with theater chains.

Mind you, I do think it sucks that they changed so much. Mainly because they didn't have to. Contrary to whatever reasons they gave they only made changes to save money and time.
Cliffjxn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
To all of you who are busy dancing and cheering, I sympathise with you. However, there will be a sequel. So don't get too happy; enough people went and saw this abomination in Asia that a sequel has been all-but greenlighted. This is the 7844th entertainment-related reason why there is no God.

Sigh. You do know that blog was wrong about DBE having made $50 million, right? That post was 2 weeks ago and DBE only just hit $30M in the last 3 days. Topless Robot was quoting info from a DBE fan site. Not the most reliable source.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
Cliffjxn wrote:
Sigh. You do know that blog was wrong about DBE having made $50 million, right? That post was 2 weeks ago and DBE only just hit $30M in the last 3 days. Topless Robot was quoting info from a DBE fan site. Not the most reliable source.

Well good. Maybe there won't be a sequel after all. One can only hope.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:00 am Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
i'm surprised that it even placed in top 10...

will wonders never seize?

That hideous Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie from about this time of year two years ago debuted at #11, so I guess it could be worse. Imagine how bad a live-action movie of that cowpile would do...but then again, how the heck are you going to get actors to be a floating box of fries, a milkshake, and a meatball!?!

Still, here's hoping the CB and FMP movies are actually GOOD! Very Happy
Cliffjxn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:05 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Cliffjxn wrote:

Well good. Maybe there won't be a sequel after all. One can only hope.

There won't be a sequel. Since this movie cost at least $60 million to produce and market it's going to have to make over $120 million just to break even. Let's face it, at this point it's a pretty sure bet it's not going to make that much. James Wong himself said that there won't be sequels if the movie bombs in the States. At the rate it's going it's not even going to make 30 million in the US. The powers that be at Fox would have to be crazy to green-light a sequel.
yojimboray

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:15 am Reply with quote
I can't believe an Asian guy directed this POS. James Wong is like a Jewish guy spying for the Nazis. I know, I know- that's going way overboard- but, Dragonball-related or not- how dare he expect people to shell out $11 for this crap!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:26 am Reply with quote
yojimboray wrote:
I can't believe an Asian guy directed this POS. James Wong is like a Jewish guy spying for the Nazis. I know, I know- that's going way overboard- but, Dragonball-related or not- how dare he expect people to shell out $11 for this crap!

I'm sorry? Uwe Boll shells out pieces of shit all the time, please do not come in with an outwardly bland and racist comment like that Rolling Eyes
loka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:36 am Reply with quote
i read somewhere that said $45M budget. anyways, when it comes to action/fantasy movies, it seems you need to put some effort into the screenplay.

if they were going to change something, they should have changed the dialogue. must superhero scripts always be so god-awful. at least in the latest batman live action installment they really made an effort to make it sound better.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:21 am Reply with quote
HatakeMirukon wrote:
TatsuGero23 wrote:
Has anyone else notice how Anime Fans are becoming more and more like angry Star Wars fans; not happy with anything Star Wars past the 70's?

I fear for the Ghostbusters 3 movie.

Finally. Somebody has the balls to say this.

Honestly there's more butthurt and baseless hatred for this movie I can't stand it. What happened to the anime fans that actually tried things before they judged them, and actually KNEW what was bad instead of using "oh it's not like the anime/manga" as a base for disliking something?

Or the fact that if they call DB:E a bad movie, then I doubt they've really seen a TRULY bad movie. In their life. Period.

http://hatakemirukon.deviantart.com/journal/24157330/#comments

That is a link to my journal on deviantART which is my review of the DB:E movie when I saw it on its midnight premiere.

I honestly think a lot of you, and I do very much mean a LOT of you, are taking the bashing way too far.

The professionals are bashing this even more. Razz
Dust2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:05 am Reply with quote
DBE has made $41.7 mil through this weekend. Outside the US, it did over $10 mil bringing the total to $41.7 mil (source: Variety international box office update)

Budget: $45 mil
Breakeven: $90 mil (50% of total boxoffice)

It will end up around $65 million worldwide. DVD sales might cover the other $25 mil or this will be a loss for FOX.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:20 am Reply with quote
Dust2 wrote:
DBE has made $41.7 mil through this weekend. Outside the US, it did over $10 mil bringing the total to $41.7 mil (source: Variety international box office update)

Budget: $45 mil
Breakeven: $90 mil (50% of total boxoffice)

It will end up around $65 million worldwide. DVD sales might cover the other $25 mil or this will be a loss for FOX.

Barely covering the money sunk into this just seems like a terrible idea to do a second one. It's as if they want to lose money.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:16 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Congratulating yourself for not seeing a movie and behaving like this film's failure is some kind of otaku triumph is really, really stupid.

I disagree. For otaku to spend money on this for the simple right to complain is an ignorant remark, and that's really, really stupid.

I've seen several of the DBZ airings on Cartoon Network. Not a bad series, and quite enjoyable. If it wasn't for the fact the series took 5 episodes to do 1 thing, it would probably be in my collection.

As with many people, I try to keep an open mind about new things. The Cowboy Bebop live action movie is something I don't want, but I can't easily dismiss it without seeing anything about it.

But for the DBZ movie, all it took was the previews. Any otaku who saw the preview has every right to make statements against the movie.

Especially given, it seems, the previews were the best part about it.

Now, pay attention.

This is Hollywood's attempt at cashing in on the anime billions. We can expect the same thing as it did with the video game to movie run it had a few years ago (and has luckily slowed).

The downside to this attempt is giving anime a bad reputation. The DBZ series will forever be tarnished with this movie, never to be undone.

If the Cowboy Bebop or Akira movie fails, that's another unnecessary hit against anime.

For Hollywood to run this adaptation trend can be good a good thing for anime, often times, it is not.

As someone who watched over 80% of video game adaptations go horribly wrong, as an otaku, I have every right to "cheer" to this movie's failure without having seen it.

If you believe an 80% failure rate is successful for anime adaptations, then feel free to pay to watch them all. Review them, if you must.

But don't think us stupid because we cheer when those few who did see confirmed our worst fears.
Dante80

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:57 am Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
Dante80 wrote:
Quote:
I knew it'd flop! =D Now watch as practically all the other anime film adaptations are gradually unceremoniously canceled. An adaptation of Full Metal Panic when not even Dragon Ball could earn a decent amount on its opening day? Ha!

The answer to this question is very simple. Dragonball failed NOT because it is a cartoon/anime/manga LA adaption, but because it is a terrible, TERRIBLE movie.
Of course, that's the logical lesson here. But do you really think that's what the film studios will make of it? Of course not. They'll just think "Hmm, anime movies flop."

Well, thats the reason I wrote this too...

Quote:
Let that be a lesson to Hollywood companies that decide to do a half-assed job on a very well known and marketable source material. But lets make this clear. If other adaptions get the can because of this failure, then that would be utterly ridiculous from a business point of view, even for the brain-dead Hollywood industry. A show does not sell because its bad, end of story. And if companies want to handle future adaptions (like FMP and CB) the same as Fox handled DB, well, its better to cancel them now to save the embarrassment later.

Quote:
The downside to this attempt is giving anime a bad reputation. The DBZ series will forever be tarnished with this movie, never to be undone.

Nope, thats wrong. Any live adaption to an anime/manga source cannot considered as canon regarding the original story. It is impossible to "tarnish" a series like that.

Anime adaptions can provide top notch movies. The material is there, the fanbase is there, there are many anime based concepts that can be adapted to a LA easily and, provided a studio does a good job, it will also reap the rewards. But making a half-assed job for a quick buck will not work this time...you either try your best, or not try at all.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:18 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
The DBZ series will forever be tarnished with this movie, never to be undone.

You say that as if the franchise's name wasn't already tarnished, the DragonBall Z anime has already done more harm to the franchise's reputation then any live action film could do. You mentioned it yourself, 5 episodes to get things done. Think Toriyama did that in his manga? No he didn't. And sorry, but DB Kai isn't going to cut it. Showcasing 20 year old footage re-edited isn't exactly going to light the world on fire.

Also, DragonBall Evolution isn't based on DBZ. It's based on the Pilaf and Piccolo Damaio archs in DragonBall. As well, there will never be a "DBZ" live action movie for the fact that they'd have to get the rights from the source, ie Sheushia and Toriyama, Shueshia never published a "DragonBall Z", and Toriyama never wrote a "DragonBall Z" (Toriyama only wrote the series as "DragonBall", the anime added the "Z", and the "Z" was added to the manga release by Viz to cash-in on the name).
kakoishii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:29 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:
The DBZ series will forever be tarnished with this movie, never to be undone.

You say that as if the franchise's name wasn't already tarnished, the DragonBall Z anime has already done more harm to the franchise's reputation then any live action film could do. You mentioned it yourself, 5 episodes to get things done. Think Toriyama did that in his manga? No he didn't. And sorry, but DB Kai isn't going to cut it. Showcasing 20 year old footage re-edited isn't exactly going to light the world on fire.

Also, DragonBall Evolution isn't based on DBZ. It's based on the Pilaf and Piccolo Damaio archs in DragonBall. As well, there will never be a "DBZ" live action movie for the fact that they'd have to get the rights from the source, ie Sheushia and Toriyama, Shueshia never published a "DragonBall Z", and Toriyama never wrote a "DragonBall Z" (Toriyama only wrote the series as "DragonBall", the anime added the "Z", and the "Z" was added to the manga release by Viz to cash-in on the name).

Fox already has the rights for Z, before the project took off a DBZ movie was what was on the table, it was only until much later that they decided to do a DB movie instead of a DBZ movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10