• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam AGE to End at 49 Episodes on September 23

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:35 am Reply with quote
Cool, that means Origin is coming soon.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

Not really, no.

We don't even know what kind of format Origin will be. All we know is it's been announced.

I really don't want a One Year War rehash (A LITERAL rehash at that) as another new TV series. I could see it replacing Unicorn as the next OVA series to be honest. Then again, I don't work at Sunrise.
taco123

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:29 am Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:

Not really, no.

We don't even know what kind of format Origin will be. All we know is it's been announced.

I really don't want a One Year War rehash (A LITERAL rehash at that) as another new TV series. I could see it replacing Unicorn as the next OVA series to be honest. Then again, I don't work at Sunrise.

I guess you don't understand. The Origin is a complete remake/retelling of the original series. Where you got this idea that it was going to be an OVA and that it was going to air in 2014, four years after the anime project was announced, is beyond me.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
taco123 wrote:

I guess you don't understand. The Origin is a complete remake/retelling of the original series. Where you got this idea that it was going to be an OVA and that it was going to air in 2014, four years after the anime project was announced, is beyond me.

I own most of the Japanese issues, with the exception of the last volume.

Aside from the added material of relationships being expanded on, expanded world view and some differences (IE: White Base landing in LA instead of New Yark, MS being used before the story begins, taking out the M'Qvue fight, etc) the story, for the most part, is mostly the same as the original.

And hell, if it's an OVA, it can do Origin justice. I can't see them doing it justice if it's a weekly series.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
cool, i need new Gundam.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I didn't at first think too much about AGE when it came out and got going. Kid-friendly show, (Japan, the older "kid" shows were more mature not naughty kind of way they are now.) but its story kept evolving just like the Gundam did. It had some odd points, but least it was more watchable then some things that have came out. It takes itself seriously!

Story has been interesting, i guess i'm unlike others. I do like the multi-generation/time jump thing. Kept the story changing and evolving in stead of nowing growing up and maturing. Least we had something new happening. The Gundam of the week thing was getting little old at first, but it was amusing.

I'm disappointed that series's second segment was so short in comparison to beginning now the ending. Finding out that the series isn't going past 50 was bummer, I was hoping they'd flesh out things more. The "War of Genocide" is could have been interesting element if it had allow go futher. I don't think it will get too far unless they have some more surprises in the plot. I still think its going be happy ending. The second pilot of AGE, is by far most intersting since he isn't a X-Rounder/New Type and still able to hold his own.

His son is ... lame, I'm not against people not wanting kill folks but pacifist. I still don't like how young these gundam pilots have been except for the second pilot who least graduated from High School. Its stupid part i don't like.

If the haters out there think something better is going come out and last beyond 12 episodes...Good luck. Japan's youth are in control of direction of anime, its harems, slice-of-life, girls of indisquishing ages being the norm. Even if the companies aren't trilled what they're putting out.

I hope G-Reko turns out to be interesting entry in the Real-Robots genra without as much fan-service they can spare. One can hope.
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:53 pm Reply with quote
The main objection to Gundam AGE is that writers don't really care but to have once, and once again the story of a kid piloting a shiny Gundam. Is the main character getting used to war? Quick, let's change him for his kid, insert a "and he married his childhood friend" pic (if any) and done.

Also, it's me or battles are really, really... little? (so far) Main "fleets" are just four or five ships.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote
I think the show was also hurt by its art style. It looks like digimon or some other kid show with really cartoony character design, I think that put off some people.
Arekusei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
taco123 wrote:

Ahh... pretty muche EVERY Gundam was remake/retelling of the original series in one way or another. Some where nearer to it, some father, but ground idea was ALWAYS the same. Well, maybe not in Turn A, but the rest was retelling of same story again and again and again. Not that its a bad thing.
Son Gokou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:44 pm Reply with quote
ArrancarNelTu wrote:
AGE isn't perfect but it's still better than DESTINY and the awful Gundam 00 Movie. I'm glad I stuck with this series and I feel sorry for those who dropped it because of lolcharacterdesigns. Note: People still die in a Gundam anime, kiddy character designs included. Honestly, AGE is better than most of the currently airing stuff especially Harem Art Online and Dog Days.

True, at least we had some fun. I never regret watching it from the start.

WeirDiE_InC wrote:
Surely you guys didn't expect more from a modern, toyetic Gundam series?
I have to wonder though what kind of momentum the producers expect Age to have since their big plan was to tie it into video games that wouldn't have been release until tail-end of the show.
As for The Origin, I can't really understand what there is to be excited about. How much more fluff does the OYW era need?

Same here. UC most especially OYW's oversaturated and overused plot.

Fronzel wrote:

It's the second draft that a series run by Tomino always needs before it's actually good. It finally lives up to the potential that Gundam had from the start.

That's a bit gushy, but it's a pretty good robot space war series and animation is where something like that really belongs.

Tomino's overrated and most of his later work's pretty much forgettable.

Son-kun wrote:
Considering Akihiro Hino is usually a good writer/game designer, it makes me wonder what went wrong with AGE. My guess is the pacing. Having 3 generations condensed into one series just wasn't a good idea even if it was appealing in its concept. I'm hoping the PSP game goes more in-depth with each of the characters' and generations, but we won't get to see it localized overseas so that's pretty much out the window.

Because video game fans are somehow different from anime fans. I'm both so I understand why it's like that.

Wrangler wrote:
I didn't at first think too much about AGE when it came out and got going. Kid-friendly show, (Japan, the older "kid" shows were more mature not naughty kind of way they are now.) but its story kept evolving just like the Gundam did. It had some odd points, but least it was more watchable then some things that have came out. It takes itself seriously!

Story has been interesting, i guess i'm unlike others. I do like the multi-generation/time jump thing. Kept the story changing and evolving in stead of nowing growing up and maturing. Least we had something new happening. The Gundam of the week thing was getting little old at first, but it was amusing.

I'm disappointed that series's second segment was so short in comparison to beginning now the ending. Finding out that the series isn't going past 50 was bummer, I was hoping they'd flesh out things more. The "War of Genocide" is could have been interesting element if it had allow go futher. I don't think it will get too far unless they have some more surprises in the plot. I still think its going be happy ending. The second pilot of AGE, is by far most intersting since he isn't a X-Rounder/New Type and still able to hold his own.

His son is ... lame, I'm not against people not wanting kill folks but pacifist. I still don't like how young these gundam pilots have been except for the second pilot who least graduated from High School. Its stupid part i don't like.

If the haters out there think something better is going come out and last beyond 12 episodes...Good luck. Japan's youth are in control of direction of anime, its harems, slice-of-life, girls of indisquishing ages being the norm. Even if the companies aren't trilled what they're putting out.

Well said.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:39 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Kurohei wrote:
I've never seen Age before but judging by how many people don't like it, I'm having doubts this will make in over seas.

You could also take the clue about the people who usually licensed Gundam stuff in North America not doing that anymore. That could be a sign, too.

The "people" that usually license Gundam are Bandai, and Bandai isn't releasing Anime in the states anymore, or relinquishing their hold on Gundam for that matter.

So, the best you could get right now is in the style of Gundam UC and get Japanese releases with dub & subs.

Unless of course, the make some kind of distribution deal with someone else. But, as you said, I find that unlikely because of the fan response to AGE. But, that's not to say it couldn't be given the kiddie-style dub treatment and be successful here.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
But, that's not to say it couldn't be given the kiddie-style dub treatment and be successful here.

If by "kiddie-style" dub treatment you mean something along the lines of 4Kids or the English localization of Digimon, I wouldn't wish that for any translated work at all. And just because it hasn't been seeing much success in Japan doesn't really mean it would do well in America. I can definitely see AGE being moderately successful in a 5pm Toonami or Nicktoons timeslot being properly dubbed with minimal edits. Fan responses have little to do with TV ratings that span for all audiences.

"Fencedude5609 wrote:
I find the way the show treats female characters to be utterly inexcusable.

Sure, it isn't SEED quality in its treatment of female characters, but the Gundam franchise prior SEED has long been known to sacrifice female characters for character development. It's pretty much a cliche to have female characters serve as minor characters only to later get possibly killed. Victory Gundam is the worst offender for this, even more so than AGE.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:47 am Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:

The "people" that usually license Gundam are Bandai, and Bandai isn't releasing Anime in the states anymore, or relinquishing their hold on Gundam for that matter.

Uh, yeah, that's pretty much repeating what I said.

You know, it's possible that Bandai Visual might release some Gundam anime over here, but prepare for it to be as obscenely expensive as Unicorn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote
Reminder:

The Japanese blurays have english subs on them. If you want english subbed AGE you can buy it pretty easily.
Well... If you REALLY want it, that is Smile.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:50 am Reply with quote
It's a great series. Having seen every Gundam series to date, I can honestly say that it's way better than 00 and I hope it gets movie or OVA sequels.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4