• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio Production I.G Cancels Project Due to Nonpayment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jree78

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
opn wrote:
Its probably mass effect. With aniplex backing robo notes its certainly not it and psycho pass which is supposedly being done by wit studios (one of production IGs studios) isn't being canned either.

I don't think so, but if it was, they can go to Crunchyroll and say okay you want catalog shows, pay for Mass Effect then we'll talk, that would be hilarious. Then CR would say okay I want your entire catalog.

Last edited by jree78 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:59 pm Reply with quote
jree78 wrote:
opn wrote:
Its probably mass effect. With aniplex backing robo notes its certainly not it and psycho pass which is supposedly being done by wit studios (one of production IGs studios) isn't being canned either.

I don't thinks so, but if it was, they can go to Crunchyroll and say okay you want catalog shows, pay for Mass Effect then we'll talk, that would be hilarious.

Yeah, it's doubtful a project backed by EA and Funi would default on a 1.8 million payment, which isn't even all that much to a company like EA. Plus, it is likely already done and mostly paid for considering the release is mere months away. Distributors and broadcasters aren't going to commit to a date without prior receipt of the content release from the previously involved contracts. Normally if the release or airing is already announced then it's past the stage this project was cancelled at. Likely it's an in-production project that hasn't been slated for release yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:13 pm Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
I know it isn't much, but I hope Kuroko can bring you guys back some of your money. Anime cry

Someone that does not know current dvd/blu-ray sales detected.

Kuroko its beating series like Hyouka (sorry kyoani/moe lovers), Haiyore or Accel World, and if you take into account the dvd sales Kuroko first vol, has sold 20k+ copies, the other series are @ 10k.

Looks at this table via MAL:

Blu-ray + DVD Sales Rankings for Spring 2012 (the first volumes)

*1, 20,524 Kuroko no Basket
*2, *9,891 Accel World
*3, *9,455 Hyouka
*4, *9,200 Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
*5, *7,990 AKB0048
*6, *6,966 Saki: Achiga-hen - Episode of Side-A
*7, *4,887 Eureka Seven AO
*8, *4,698 Natsuiro Kiseki
*9, *4,494 Tsuritama
10, *3,759 Queen's Blade: Rebellion
11, *3,588 Nazo no Kanojo X
12, *3,499 Jormungand
13, *3,302 Sengoku Collection
14, *3,192 Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? of the Dead
15, *2,520 Acchi Kocchi
16, *2,180 Hiiro no Kakera
17, *2,059 Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
18, *2,037 Sakamichi no Apollon
19, *1,487 Sankarea
20, *1,133 Shirokuma Cafe
21, **,882 Kimi to Boku. 2
22, **,612 Zetman

For Kyoto Animation hardcore lovers, it looks like its will be pretty darn hard for them to come up with something that matches K-ON! success, let alone surpass it, considering the disappointing series they have come up with lately. Looks like their calculation were very wrong with Hyouka..no wonder, its pretty boring series after all, looks like its sales are spot on, not because how good Hyouka is, but because hardcore kyoani fans that will by anything moe+kyoani.

Last edited by dan9999 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Hyouka in the Top 5. I haven't been watching any of Kuroko - any idea why it is being so wildly successful?
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Nice to see Hyouka in the Top 5. I haven't been watching any of Kuroko - any idea why it is being so wildly successful?

Yes, Because its incredibly awesome and kicks butt, perhaps?

No really, its extremely good. Watch it if you haven't.

As to why its selling so good, its a huge surprise and rare,considering its NOT moe, not fanservice, not loli, not aimed at hardcore otaku either...

Its quite rare that a real quality, solid series ( not in the genres specified before) to sell that high indeed. Dunno, perhaps fujoshi are buying a lot? I mean, it does look kind of bishounen after all...
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:31 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Yes, Because its incredibly awesome and kicks butt, perhaps?

No really, its extremely good. Watch it if you haven't.

As to why its selling so good, its a huge surprise and rare,considering its NOT moe, not fanservice, not loli, not aimed at hardcore otaku either...

Its quite rare that a real quality, solid series ( not in the genres specified before) to sell that high indeed. Dunno, perhaps fujoshi are buying a lot? I mean, it does look kind of bishounen after all...

This show is obviously a fujoshi bait.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I initially blew it off because I'm not huge into basketball (or sports genre shows in general) but I may have to check this one out, after all.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Kuroko is selling well because the fujoshi are buying the hell out of it. They seem to pick one title a season and latch onto it, and Kuroko beat out Apollon. It's at 20k because they're also not as technologically rabid as the male otaku, DVD sales played a huge role in contributing to that final number whereas most of the other titles consist almost entirely of BD and very little DVD.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Clearly, Hiiro no Kakera did not find itself caught in the fujoshi updraft. Damn, if I was a Japanese anime producer, I think I'd be trying to tap into that sweet, sweet market...
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I remember hearing that Kuroko actually had more doujins than anything else at C82 not named Touhou. Most of those don't get scanned or anything, but its got a super rabid fujoshi fanbase over there that will buy anything related to it.
dan9999

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:50 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Kuroko is selling well because the fujoshi are buying the hell out of it. They seem to pick one title a season and latch onto it, and Kuroko beat out Apollon. It's at 20k because they're also not as technologically rabid as the male otaku, DVD sales played a huge role in contributing to that final number whereas most of the other titles consist almost entirely of BD and very little DVD.

Yea, but kuroko its a pure, serious basket story, so its not really a fujoshi series, no antics to please fujoshi at all. So its still a surprise its selling that high no matter how one wants to justify its sales. But agree that fujoshi probably buying a lot thou indeed.

In contrast Sakamichi had a lot of fujoshi bait, at times I was wondering if I was not watching a yaoi series Laughing

As for the dvd playing a huge role....for kuroko getting double the sales of the others...yes. But Kuroko dvd + blu-ray sales are very even, Blu-ray its selling nearly 10k (9140+) and DVD more than 10+ (11k+ I think) so its still on equal ground as the other in terms on Blu-ray alone.

My bet its the fujoshi are responsible for the DVD sales, and the blu-ray are for all those those buying simply because its pure awesomeness.

Hopefully Production I.G. announces second season the fact that this is only 25 eps. reflects that the studio itself did not expect it to sell this high even when the manga its very successful and selling 500k+ per volume.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Man, I.G. keeps getting stiffed! Maybe they should hire better auditors and demand half-payment up front! Laughing
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:15 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Looks like their calculation were very wrong with Hyouka..no wonder, its pretty boring series after all, looks like its sales are spot on, not because how good Hyouka is, but because hardcore kyoani fans that will by anything moe+kyoani.

Considering that the novels from years ago went from 30k sales to 150-200k sales I'd say that Hyouka is considered a tremendous success even before taking in a very respectable (especially given the 2 episodes per vol release format) amount of BD/DVD sales.

Also, fujoshi buying habits aren't nearly as consistent as otaku are. Take for instance the first volume of Ao no Exorcist which had about 23k combined DVD/BD sales and then the last volume which was under 10k combined. (Source) Don't be shocked if Kuroko starts to drop further and further as the later volumes get released, whereas Hyouka will stay close to that 10k mark.

Last edited by Megiddo on Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
It might be serious, but it's still cute boys doing manly things, which fujoshi just loooove. Madoka is also super serious, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a rabid fanbase that will sexualize them at the drop of a hat.

What happens at Comiket is a good indicator of how big the fanbases are. Touhou is always supermassive at every event, so looking at the newcomers is a good idea too. SAO and Hyouka are sure to have gotten a good amount, just like Haganai, Madoka, and OreImo in the past. And remember how Zac, Bamboo, and everyone else said Upotte was gonna be made for figures and doujinshi? No figures so far, and only two doujinshi so far, one drawn by the character designer.

Quote:
As for the dvd playing a huge role....for kuroko getting double the sales of the others...yes. But Kuroko dvd + blu-ray sales are very even, Blu-ray its selling nearly 10k (9140+) and DVD more than 10+ (11k+ I think) so its still on equal ground as the other in terms on Blu-ray alone.

Compare to any other series where the BD/DVD ratio is way different, DVDs only make up a fraction of sales now for those shows. Apparently Tiger & Bunny spurred some fujoshi to get BD players, and we're now seeing the results of that in sales. That may all be hearsay, but it works logically to me, T&B was huge among women.
LaFreccia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I love the logic that says the number 3 best selling title is failing. Hyouka is a runaway success, and for good reason. It has some of the most thoughtful mysteries seen in anime in quite some time.

As to Kuroko, well it is a pretty typical sports shounen title. If you want a great BD title, the artwork in Hyiuka puts it and just about everything else to shame. Personally I believe the fujoshi theory to explain relative sales. As far as shows in the sports-shounen genre go, it isn't particularly great.

And finally on the notorious P.I.G.'s financial problem. I hope they get it worked out one way or another. They are a quality company and don't deserved to be treated like that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5