• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: YTV New Year's Eve Anime Marathon

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KawaiiKitty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Are you sure about the Viz thing? I saw some Ceres and other Viz books at my Chapters. Anyways, I don't purchase manga at Chapters because it's a bit cheaper at the local comic store (but it's good to see all that manga at Chapters ^^!).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:50 pm Reply with quote
They had (inefficient and completely random) distribution for most of this year, but it ceased around the end of summer. The last Viz title I was able to get was Kenshin vol. 8.

Like I said, I really hope that it doesn't take them too long to get things straightened out.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Also, now that I'm in Ottawa

My concolences.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Dagwood wrote:
It's a shame that we can't get that channel (YTV), and the Canadians can't get CN, what a downer!

Yes, it is a shame.

We have the CRTC (our equivalent of the FCC) to blame for our lack of programming.

I don't know the unavailability of YTV in the USA has to do with the FCC, or just YTV's own decision.

-t
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:57 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Dagwood wrote:
It's a shame that we can't get that channel (YTV), and the Canadians can't get CN, what a downer!

Yes, it is a shame.

I disagree. The US version of CN isn't directly available in any other countries, and there's no reason Canada should be an exception. The problem with the CRTC isn't the fact that they block the channels, but in the strict way they regulate the "equivalent stations" and insist on completely destroying a free market broadcast industry in favour of ensuring that certain companies maintain monopolies. (ie: Teletoon is the definitive animation channel in Canada. The CRTC is unlikely to allow another one, even from a Canadian competitor.)

Basically, stations can be completely mediocre just so long as they follow certain guidelines. As long as they follow the rules, they don't have to fear competition. Of course, I think this is more of a problem with Teletoon than YTV because YTV really tries to listen to their viewers, even moreso than US stations do. Teletoon, on the other hand, has problems that stretch far beyond anime.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
I disagree. The US version of CN isn't directly available in any other countries, and there's no reason Canada should be an exception.

I neglected to mention that I see the reasoning in the CRTC's goals, I just don't think they go about achieving them very reasonably.

When you say that Canada shouldn't be any different, whose perspective are you talking about? Cartoon Network markets differently in South America because they speak a different language and have a different culture. Likewise in England, different culture, a big time difference, and a significant space between the two places.

Exemplifying the cultural difference between the USA and the UK, from a perspective that matters to CN, many popular American TV shows do not do well inthe UK.

So from Cartoon Network's point of view (or Turner Broadcasting), there's a reason to create a new channel for those markets.

But Canada? Canadians sound like americans, they talk like americans, they act like americans, their education is only slightely different, etc, etc, etc... As much as Canadians like to believe they're different from American's, fact is we're almost identical socially. Sure we eat less, and we tend not to go to war to settle our father's rivalries (not that we could if we wanted to), but the average Canadian is nearly indescernable from the Average American (exempting the 20 pound wait difference).

Exemplifying the cultural similarities from a point of view that matter to Cartoon Network, most of the successful TV shows on Canadian television networks are American.

So yeah, IMHO, Cartoon Network would probably be happy to expand into Canada without re-branding the way they need to in other markets. The only thing stopping them is the CRTC.

-t
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:16 am Reply with quote
Rebranding isn't an issue limited to cultural differences. Having a different stations for different countries generally has more to do with allowing domestic advertising, encouraging local productions or, especially in the case of anime, incorporating different content restrictions.

If Cartoon Network were allowed in Canada, it would only carry American advertising and air anime edited to American standards with almost none of those edits being necessary for Canadian broadcast. And there's also the noticable lack of Canadian content, but I think the way the CRTC goes about enforcing that - forcing stations to meet a certain quota of CanCon in order to maintain their license with less emphasis put on supporting these productions directly, encouraging stations to saturate their schedules with mediocre crap - is completely inefficient anyway.

Canadians shouldn't WANT stations from another country, but the very fact that we do shows that the CRTC needs to seriously rethink their outdated strategies from the ground up. I don't think allowing CN in Canada (or at least in a basic cable package placing it in direct competition with Canadian stations) would be the most appropriate solution.

I mean, if Teletoon were better than CN, which it's always had the potential to be, would anyone be complaining about this?
KawaiiKitty

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I gave up on Teletoon a long time ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Manga
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 5:04 pm Reply with quote
At this point, I think we've all given up on Teletoon. I just wish they'd air the Venture Brothers. I mean... who else is?
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I love the idea of pulling an anime marathon, but the depressing truth is that I don't even have cable and I watch so much anime anyways that a marathon is kind of a joke unless it involves staying up real late.

Wow. Where did my college days go when staying up late meant hitting the pillow at 3 a.m.? How did I ever survive those years??!! My god... I'm so... not young. Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2