• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-04-17]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Avarice_WP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:48 am Reply with quote
Wow Zac, I was under the impression that half the internet hated your personality, writing style, preferences, and reviews! I guess I was wrong because your one week at the guest helm of Answerman seems to have been a terrific success. I agree with pretty much everything people had to say about you so far in the comments- your sarcastic humour is a very nice guest appearance to cover for Brian. You both have such different styles it's really shocking to see the difference from one week to the next. He seems more informative while you seem more entertaining. Maybe you guys should collaborate on the segment somehow?

Keep cultivating that sarcasm, and maybe spice your writing up with some sharp/pithy comments. Keep up the good work- I for one find your writing style brilliant. (It kind of reminds me of the way EGM magazine used to write reviews of games when they were still around...)

Take care.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:00 am Reply with quote
El Oso wrote:
If you go to the "President Akemi Loli Mokoto" page that's on the top of the friends list the About Me section is f*cking hilarious.

HA! It is! It also makes it seem much more of a joke. I don't know how this guy is 18, and heads an "Official Organization" with such a bad grasp at spelling and grammar. Like what's been said, it's possible his page was just hacked by someone playing a joke. I mean the Organization and the Name change I can believe. But his whole "I've been in 5 tornadoes" and the "Lolicon Scandal of 2008" really make me chuckle in disbelief. Also, how the hell can he say he's against pedophilia and NOT attracted to girls when he says he lives and sleeps with a 14 year old girl. Smells like BS to me.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Dear Answerman, is it just me, or are your Answerfan questions getting either 1) corny, because they are starting to become questions I find to be somewhat undermining, 2) boring, because they have absolutely no relevance to my interests and aspects, or 3) monotonous because they ask the same kind of question over and over that I have seen for the past month or so. How about possibly adding some variety to your questions. I've been hearing about upcoming series or what do you think of so forth etc, etc. Answerfans needs to become a bit more lively, or maybe there should be something else to take its place.

I actually kinda agree with this. I generally don't read the Answerfans anymore because it's gotten a little boring (especially since the same questions have actually been repeated a few times). I understand it's tricky to come up with good/new questions but...well if it's really that bad, maybe it's time to hang up the answerfans section and replace it with something new. I mean that's why you got rid of the rant section right?
RenTers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:53 am Reply with quote
Wow,

I totally forgot how much I enjoyed reading Zac's responses.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:54 am Reply with quote
just a side note!!! i saw the lolicon email last week sometime and convinced myself it was a hoax so that i could sleep at night. i courageously applaud zac for his courage and conviction in looking at his myspace page far longer than i did - i got about .5 seconds in before i had to close my browser and set my computer on fire.

anyway the show is gonna be fantastic, and i welcome one and all to ask me anime questions afterwards. facebook event page GET! it has some cast photos and things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:08 am Reply with quote
CatzCradle wrote:
Oh damn, anyone else crazy enough to check out the "lolicon" link? That was some incredibly emo stuff written there, but not sure whether to take it seriously or not. Shocked

Yes. I was alone in my workplace, so I was cool with clicking on it, and therefore a masochist, because scanning that webpage was painful. Oh my GOSH, no. By the way, and I think someone else already said this, Asura Cryin' has NOTHING on Queen's Blade. I mean, really, that HAS to be the worst show this season. Period. Shocked Crying or Very sad

Giant explodey acid-nipples... no, that's not a joke.

Oh, hey, and about that booth babe thing, I only go to a mid-sized con in Nashville, and we still have 'em. Well, to get technical, they have the Con Kitty, and now they're adding one more babe because they're branching out into two conventions, so they'll have two con kitties. I didn't realize it was becoming uncommon. Not that it would bother me if it did, it's a little eerie.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:08 am Reply with quote
Today's Modern Otaku (TM) suck if they can't just bask in the floodlight of awesoness and glory that is episode one of Shin Mazinger Shogeki! Z-Hen, if they can't wrap their little minds into noticing that episode one was, basically as you said Zac, a Highlight reel full of Hot Blooded Super Robot Awesomeness, in this age of Otaku brains infected by the MOE diseace, This Blazing Torch of Classic Hot Blooded histrionics is like Sunlight to a vampire to them.

This creatures just shot down and decry it as bad animation... how you can say that it is bad animation when you got a man like Imagawa at the helm, giving the people a double barreled shotgun blast of Go Nagai storytelling and featuring his greatest creation, the Fortress of Iron, the Originator of an entire genre, that travelled thru the world, spreading the gospel of the greatness of Super Robots that is still felt thru out the world. Shocked

I've seen people whose eyes have lighted up as I give the news that Mazinger Z is back... and they say under their breath... "New Mazinger, New Mazinger, New Mazinger....", they tell me how they love the melding of the retro style that they remember fondly with the current animation techniques. That Members of the group Lazy have returned from the Great Beyond thru recordings to give us a Rocking OP, a Y2,00,000 figure was released in it's honor, conmemorating 35 years of the Chogokin Toy Line, what moeblob figure can stand against that honor... The Crest of Z has risen again... may the moeblobs temble at its wake! Cool

And about the loli-freak, I'm not going to waste words about him...

Last edited by Vicserr on Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
maichips

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:20 am Reply with quote
Hey Zac, I'm surprised your Flake didn't mention Kodomo no Jikan. Laughing

Thank you for the bunny! And the reply about booth babes. Anime hyper
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:21 am Reply with quote
That's one of the more elaborate trolls I've seen. I wonder if he sockpuppeted all of it, or managed to rope some of the more thickheaded internet bottom feeders into adding a semblance of legitimacy to it.
I'd say Asura Cryin' is worse than Queens Blade, if only because Queens Blade is so utterly audaciously unblazenly terrible it becomes fun to watch to see just what the hell they'll pull out next. Asura Cryin' is just generically bland.
Quote:
Modern Otaku (TM) suck if they can't just bask in the floodlight of awesoness and glory that is episode one of Shin Mazinger Shogeki! Z-Hen if they can't wrap their little minds into noticing that episode one was, basically as you said Zac, a Highlight reel full of Hot Blooded Super Robot Awesomeness, in this age of Otaku brains infected by the MOE dicease, This Blazing Torch of Classic Hot Blooded histrionics is like Sunlight to a vampire to them.
I always feel somewhat awkward for enjoying the Mazingers and VOTOMs of the world just as much as the K-ONs and Azumangas.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I am an International fitness model and I've been doing a lot more fetish model in the last year.
One of my goals is to license my name/image/brand to a video game production, but I'm not so familiar with the industry. I am a huge fan of Anime. I want to work at conventions like the E3Expo and ComicCon. How do I contact booths to get work as a comic babe?

Please let me know. I'm hoping I can find a cool career in this industry!!

Thanks so much!

Wow, this is YOUR lucky day. In a truly amazing koinky-dink, I just happen to moonlight as a Booth Babe Agent...what are the odds? Anyhoo, I like your spunk, kid. I think you've got the right 'tood to go far in this krazy biz.

So howzabout you meet me at the Rikki Tikki Lounge at the Howard Johnson's on Old Highway 69 tonight at around midnight to discuss your, um, "career options."

I'll be the balding, middle-aged guy dressed in a plaid leisure suit and white bucks, with my shirt unbuttoned down to my paunch and gold chains sexily entwined in my curly, salt-and-pepper chest hair.

I'm sure I don't have to say this, but...

...remember to wear something slutty.
Sam-I-Am

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
Regarding booth babes, I work for a company that does sound and lighting for trade show booths, among other things. Booth babes are alive and well in other industries, but most of the booth babes I have met were hired directly by the company displayed in the booth, or at least their production company. Some hire locally, and take potluck on who they get, others have found a selection of babes they really liked, and will fly them to whatever city this year's show is in (some big shows in other industries alternate coasts, or hopscotch around).

A person wanting to break into this odd market will need to contact every talent agency not just in the presenting city, but also will need to target agencies in the home cities of the individual companies that present booths. I'd suggest timing your info to arrive a month or two before the show itself, so it's fairly fresh when the marketing people at XYZ Comics finally realize, gee, we gotta get this finished before the show. Some research beforehand of who has a history of hiring booth babes would help narrow the range of targets.
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:09 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
I always feel somewhat awkward for enjoying the Mazingers and VOTOMs of the world just as much as the K-ONs and Azumangas.

Me too; while I mostly watch typical Modern Otaku stuff, I also love old-school style anime, especially old OVAs and anything Go-Nagai-based.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote
Flake wrote:
4) What is your Collage Education(as in Deploma's Achived and/or working towards)

I don't know about Brian, but this is what my Deploma's are in:

I learned at an Excredited Institution.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:18 am Reply with quote
"Noted Super Robot Enthusiast." I do like the sound of that. Perhaps I should start using it as a title along with "Distinguished Yoshiaki Kawajiri Expert"!

In my experience, a substantial portion of people who speak of "poor animation" are actually evaluating that based solely on how much they like the character designs. I know a lot of people who fondly look back on the 1990s X-Men animated series from the US as being spectacularly animated because of the character designs, but watching the reruns of it on cable can quickly shatter that illusion. Anime remakes tend to fall victim to this criticism a lot. Titles such as Giant Robo: The Animation, Cyborg 009: The Cyborg Soldier, and Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis all look and move wonderfully, but since all employ modernized versions of characters originally designed decades ago I have on many occasions heard all of them referred to as "badly animated" because many fans don't like those retro-themed visuals. But remakes, particularly anime ones, have to weigh the need to appease the old fanbase without alienating new viewers. Striking a balance is tough. The recently completed Casshern: Sins as well as the Toward the Terra TV series are two examples of cases where the new visuals are a pretty big departure from the original while remaining recognizable.

To repeat a point I brought up in the very massive Spring 2009 Preview thread: when watching a remake/reboot familiarity with the original isn't always that helpful. In fact, it might just end up confusing you. I'm actually surprised how many people that were familiar with FMA didn't instantly realize that FMA: Brotherhood was not a sequel based solely on the first 5 minutes of the first episode. In the case of Shin Mazinger Z, knowing who all these characters are might just confuse you since you'd wonder why these characters from many different series that aren't necessarily related to Mazinger Z are suddenly all in one show, and why their characters aren't quite the same as they've previously been. Same thing goes for Giant Robo: The Animation, also by Imagawa.

I think the biggest real difference between the narrative styles of the first two episodes of FMA: Brotherhood and the first two of Shin Mazinger Z is not what they did, but why they did it. In the case of FMA, it's for the sake of character fanservice and quickly establishing "this isn't a sequel, so let's get through the exposition as fast as possible." For Shin Mazinger Z, it's not so much about fanservice. If it was, it would be more like the opening five minutes to the first episode of Mazinkaiser and they wouldn't have scenes in which the character's introduction is actually them dying. Though the end result is still quite similar to FMA's beginning, the intent in SMZ is to show the viewer that there is indeed a master plan; a narrative with a beginning, middle, and end that's been thought out. As much as I like the new FMA, I believe that series is intended to run indefinitely. They can't show you a glimpse of how it's going to end, because no ending is written this time.

edzieba wrote:

Actually, yours is the default sort of fan mentality for this stuff...in Japan. After all, the target demographic audience for both types of shows is actually the same. Recall the otaku in Densha Otoko (which was like, totally real!) all having massive Gundam collections in addition to their fanatical dedication to cute girl figurines. Still, just so you know: people like you are why weak sauce like ID@LMASTER and Strike Witches get made (and are immensely successful)!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:38 am Reply with quote
The company I used to work for hired its booth babes from talent agencies local to the conventions. So, uh, yeah, what Zac said. Smile

I couldn't read all of the flake's "writing." The misspellings and grammatical errors just hurt my soul. The content of the email didn't help matters, either. Sad

Zac, it's great to have you back, even for a bit. I like Brian's take on the column (he answered one of my questions!) but I miss reading your hate. Thank goodness there are the season previews you wrote to help me get by until your next random Answerman or forum post. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 11