• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Moe Monday

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tankerboy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote
TheGotank wrote:
Hmm, in my opinion: Kanon>Clannad>Air.

Sorry, but the ending of Air was way too abstract for me. That alone isn't bad, but I don't think they even made an attempt to explain much of it

You're right, they didn't and that's a major problem for Western viewers. I believe a basic assumption was made that viewers would be familiar with Japanese Buddhism, which I understand borrows liberally from Shinto. Probably the reason most of the religious mysticism was removed in the movie script was to prevent this confusion happening again.

However, if you do understand about spirits and multiple reincarnations, etc. it makes the ending even more beautifully sad. spoiler[The girl and the boy walking down the beach confidently holding hands indicated the curse had been broken.]
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:01 pm Reply with quote
As far as Sora goes...

spoiler[I thought they showed rather vividly that, using the same magical power that makes the doll move that Yukito inherited from Uraha, he becomes a crow so as not to make Misuzu any more sick, but also able to keep an eye on her.]
rekishi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:03 am Reply with quote
i've been rewatching Air for the past few hours... and i think i remember what i liked most about it.

spoiler[the way they "bump Yukito out of the story", it allows the story to change from being "one dude and his harem" to a mother and her daughter making up for years of neglect. it's really nice. even if it does end terribly sadly.]

Kanon (06) was really great, spoiler[but the way all 6 of the female cast keep coming to back to Yuichi wore a little thin by the time Kaori came to him asking for help. i was kinda hoping Kitagowa would step up and be more than a comedic support character at that point, but oh well. ]

as for Clannad, i've only watched to the end of Fuko's story, i'm waiting for the other half to come out on DVD before watching any more. thus far it's been very good. it has a bit more emphasis on school yard comedy which is rather good. Fuko's arc was a happy ending, but as with these Key series, you can't ever tell how it will end.

so yeah. i'm in the Air > Clannad > Kanon boat as well.
Counter Arts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:11 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Counter Arts wrote:
So does Bamboo like Gundam? If she doesn't then I can understand most of her review of Nanoha. Still, that misunderstanding of the motives of some of the characters did feel off.

What? I don't really see the comparison at all. I *love* Gundam, but I don't find Nanoha that great.

Were you watching Nanoha A's? Viewing it as an action anime comparing it to gundam as opposed to magical girl anime? If you weren't viewing it as such then probably wouldn't notice.

If you weren't looking for gundam references, then it's possible that you wouldn't have noticed that Fate has a Beam Scythe for her wand.

In this video people did not notice something strange about the video because they were too busy counting basketball passes.
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sorry, but the ending of Air was way too abstract for me. That alone isn't bad, but I don't think they even made an attempt to explain much of it (basically the Crow's perspective, and anything past 'Goal'). As such, all we can do is establish a bunch of poorly supported theories about what the significance of certain story elements had. Overall, I didn't hate Air, because I can see that there's a complex story to be told, but I simply couldn't manage to appreciate it fully.
Aye, while I appreciate the open-to-interpretation aspect, and feel that there IS just barely enough to keep it from being a total wreck, I felt that Air's second half was a little lazy. At least, as rekishi pointed out in spoiler tag, the second half does tell a powerful, albiet sad and (in typical VN fashion) over-dramatic--though the impact on the viewer by this part of the story is very dependant on their view of Misuzu and the first half goes a long way towards alienating her from less moe-tolerant viewers. For me the second half of Air is like watching a train about to crash into a fuel truck... you know it won't end well, but it's hard to look away.

Re: Nanoha Wing. If you can't see some of the similarities between [edit]the action in[/edit] Nanoha and Gundam, then you're blind. Watch Nanoha and Vita duke it out in A's first episode and see how easy it is to imagine mecha in their place, or replace Raging Heart with a Gundam and tell me that Nanoha's interaction (and "natural talent") with it don't resemble A Boy and His Mecha. That said, I don't think it's fair at all to say if you like one you'll like the other because of other fundamental plot differences.

Last edited by Veers on Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Counter Arts wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
Counter Arts wrote:
So does Bamboo like Gundam? If she doesn't then I can understand most of her review of Nanoha. Still, that misunderstanding of the motives of some of the characters did feel off.

What? I don't really see the comparison at all. I *love* Gundam, but I don't find Nanoha that great.

Were you watching Nanoha A's? Viewing it as an action anime comparing it to gundam as opposed to magical girl anime? If you weren't viewing it as such then probably wouldn't notice.

Just because there are superficial similarities does not mean that the two are comparable at all. What makes Gundam so great is the political back story, the socioeconomic motivations of both sides, and a host of other complexities that frankly, Nanoha A's did not have. Just because someone used the same weapon, and the fights may have paid homage to Gundam doesn't mean you can say "WELL OBVIOUSLY if you didn't like Nanoha, you wouldn't like Gundam!" and vice versa, because that is an asinine argument to make.
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In Magical Lyrical Nanoha, and now in Magical Lyrical Nanoha A's, we learned that magic doesn't always have to come from magic school or natural born talent.

...Yes, it does. For crying out loud we learn very early on that magical aptitude in an Earthling is very rare, and Nanoha and spoiler[Hayate ]are two of the very few people around that show any gift at all.

Quote:
The computer is so good at doing magical math formulas, that anything you could possibly want to happen, happens.

...No. No it doesn't. Nanoha has a series of abilities she's capable of using, just like Fate and everyone else. The devices are not a catch-all "do anything" deus ex machina. -.-
Quote:

I bet if she wished for a sandwich, her magical orb would find a way to make that happen, too. I'd wish for air conditioning.

I bet you would.
Quote:

which spent too much time showing that Nanoha's magic ball could basically do everything in the world.

...Except it didn't do anything other than a set number of ingrained abilities...

Quote:
All that's left is the magic itself, which is lame-o.

That sound? That is my head headdesking through the table.

Quote:
I simply don't like the supernatural aspects of these moe slice-of-life shows.

..Then don't watch a show featuring supernatural elements? How can this possibly be a negative? It's not like it's done -poorly- in the least. You just can't take something well done and inherent to the show and act like it's an objective negative about the whole thing. Not if you want any semblance of credibility, anyway.

I honestly cannot believe how an article that is such blatant flamebait even gets posted on a supposedly professional site. This just completely and utterly blows my mind. I mean, half of the commentary is blatantly false! You rail against these series and it isn't even fact! How is this justified?!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Nanoha's similarities with giant robot shows in general (not just Gundam) isn't coincidence. The production staff are all big SRW fans for example (Signum is a fairly obvious Lami expy), and have explicitly stated that the combat choreography was deliberately done to ape mech shows rather than traditional magical girl fare. Then there are the sequences that just so happen to sync up perfectly with certain other sequences (footage not edited).
Counter Arts

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:32 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

What makes Gundam so great is the political back story, the socioeconomic motivations of both sides, and a host of other complexities that frankly, Nanoha A's did not have.

While Nanoha A's didn't have the scale, the issues in Nanoha A's were still complex but more character focused.

After watching a certain episode spoiler[, actually 6] you learn that the issues Nanoha A's has didn't have an obvious solution.

I suppose I should have been more clear that if you liked the action of Gundam and other robot shows, you would like Nanoha A's.

EDIT: Also if you don't have an appreciation of tactics or strategy in battles then some of the unique value of the Nanoha anime series will be lost on you.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Since a lot of what I would nit-pick in Bamboo's review of Nanoha As have already been addressed, though perhaps a tad harshly, I'd like to say something that might surprise some.

I thought the review was the best of the professional reviews of the series I've seen, especially given the tendency of some reviewers here to suffer a form of derangement while writing reviews of the franchise. Unquestionably I think it has problems which have been addressed in previous posts but what I appreciate is that she seems to have put an effort into trying to watch the show and actually write a review of it without flying into a rage and ranting about how all of it's fans are pedophiles or morons or whatever.

Clearly she didn't really like it all that much but hey, Bamboo tends to like high drama and big action. Frankly, I think her choice of rating alone shows that she watched the show with more of an open-mind than many and for that alone I thank her.

Since I got distracted and forgot to come back and respond way back in a previous talkback thread, where I said you had a "distinct bias" for "dark drama and/or violent action" Bamboo, what I was trying to say was for you, series that present themselves as dramatic and have those elements don't cause you to question their reality. All I was saying is you respond better to an action-packed drama of the Black Lagoon/Gundum variety than you would to a series with mystical themes that is also a drama, like Kanon. (It's kind of like how I can't take a vampire story like Twilight seriously because the vampires glitter. Despite all the unreal elements of a vampire, I just can't accept glitter as one of them. I was still harping on the willing suspension of disbelief element.)
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

..Then don't watch a show featuring supernatural elements? How can this possibly be a negative? It's not like it's done -poorly- in the least. You just can't take something well done and inherent to the show and act like it's an objective negative about the whole thing. Not if you want any semblance of credibility, anyway.

I honestly cannot believe how an article that is such blatant flamebait even gets posted on a supposedly professional site. This just completely and utterly blows my mind. I mean, half of the commentary is blatantly false! You rail against these series and it isn't even fact! How is this justified?!

I am so sick and tired of you.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:44 pm Reply with quote
SongstressCela wrote:

Quote:
The computer is so good at doing magical math formulas, that anything you could possibly want to happen, happens.

...No. No it doesn't. Nanoha has a series of abilities she's capable of using, just like Fate and everyone else. The devices are not a catch-all "do anything" deus ex machina. -.-

Apparently hyperbole is lost on many.

Think back to the first episode of Nanoha. The first season. Someone says, and I paraphrase, "try creating a shield!" and she commands the computer, somewhat shakily, to make a shield. And woah, it happens! Then she decides she wants to make a spirit gun, and woah it happens! When I say that anything she wants to happen, happens, I mean that she is able to execute these commands (based on formulas) without ever having "read the manual."

It would be like someone walking up to a PC, having never seen one before ever, and deciding, "Say, I'm going to use this to write a code that will calculate my bank returns!," pressing a random button, and then having it appear on the screen.

Yes, later she learns how to control her power, and yes, she gets pretty good at using it, but the fact remains that here is a magical orb that she commands, initially with zero knowledge whatsoever, and things happen.

If this was some kind of natural-born ability (think X-men), or something you acquire in a school (think Harry Potter), then it would make sense how she knows what commands she CAN use, but in her case, she just asks a machine for something and it happens. You can't speak a language if you don't know it.

Quote:

Quote:

I bet if she wished for a sandwich, her magical orb would find a way to make that happen, too. I'd wish for air conditioning.

I bet you would.

Hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Quote:
Quote:

which spent too much time showing that Nanoha's magic ball could basically do everything in the world.

...Except it didn't do anything other than a set number of ingrained abilities...

Which she managed to pick up with no prior knowledge whatsoever. Do you not see how ridiculous this is?

Quote:
Quote:
I simply don't like the supernatural aspects of these moe slice-of-life shows.

God forbid I have an opinion! How dare I! It's like the point of a review is to cater only to you, or something.

"Ah, I don't like the dick jokes in Superbad."
"WELL MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE WATCHED IT. How could it be a bad thing???? I like it!!"
Counter Arts

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:52 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
SongstressCela wrote:

Quote:

Apparently hyperbole is lost on many.

Think back to the first episode of Nanoha. The first season. Someone says, and I paraphrase, "try creating a shield!" and she commands the computer, somewhat shakily, to make a shield. And woah, it happens! Then she decides she wants to make a spirit gun, and woah it happens! When I say that anything she wants to happen, happens, I mean that she is able to execute these commands (based on formulas) without ever having "read the manual."

You could argue that the jewel seeds spoiler[act on the desires of the people who hold it. It's like the same technology of her wand... just not reversed engineered yet.] So yeah... you could do say that on the flip side this kind of power that nearly anyone could use spoiler[including a cat] could potentially be very bad.
daedelus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:53 am Reply with quote
Well, one thing's for sure. With all of this passionate discussion regarding Nanoha, I'm going to have to watch it sooner rather than later. I bought the first set back when it was selling really well and set it in my backlog pile. So much anime... so little time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7