• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Canada Post increases handling charges, now $9.95)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:58 am Reply with quote
That may be part of it (in which case I think I should launch an action under NAFTA since I feel this ridiculous "handling" fee is a backdoor import tax), but I think the real reason is what I said above. Canada Post loses money hand over fist (as does the USPS, I believe) doing its regular, day-to-day mail delivery thing. This is in no small part to the fact that its unionized workforce is ludicrously overpaid and fights any attempt at efficiencies tooth and nail. So I believe they've looked at this "handling" situation and realized they can make a bit of a killing off it. Again, it's not like there's any alternative for customers. Our options are 1) pay the fee or 2) don't import by mail.* This allows them to charge pretty much anything they want, the a-holes.

And the figure I heard was that 80% of the Canadian population lives within an hour of the border, but that is an old figure, I believe. Not that I think anything has changed. If anything, the percentage may be higher now.

*or do as ikillchicken does and have stuff sent to a US location and then go and physically pick it up. Sadly, that is not necessarily a convenient option for a lot of us.
manicli

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Well that explains why I was charged a bit more than usual last week when I went to go pick up my order from the post office. 10 dollars does seem a bit outrageous when you consider it takes a few minutes to fill out the paper work. It's a small increase from $8.50 so I probably won't even notice it.

I'm more concerned at how much Canada Post charges to send parcels inside North America. Have you ever tried sending something using CP? The prices are kind of outrageous if you ask me >.>

I do wish I lived across the border aswell, I could evade hundreds in taxes every year on anime haha Razz
JEFFMAN219

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:57 am Reply with quote
I plan on buying three dvd box sets and two manga volumes from rightstuf.com. Anyways when rightstuf ships to canada with Brokers World and give my package to canada post does canada post deliver me the package at the door or do they leave it in my mailbox or do I have to go to a canada post out lit to pickup my package?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
@JEFFMAN219 - if Canada Post does it properly, they'll deliver it to your door and see if you are home. If you are not, they will leave a notice saying they attempted delivery and you can pick up the package at the designated postal outlet. The reason for this is that you will owe a C.O.D. amount so they can't just leave it in your mailbox. Every once in a blue moon you will get lucky and the postal person you are dealing with will either forget, or not know, that they are supposed to collect the C.O.D. Oddly enough, I never seem to remember to remind them of this on the rare occasion it happens... Wink
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Did you have duty on the top of that?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Nope, just a handling charge and the sales tax (which is not a customs duty).
JEFFMAN219

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
how much did you guys pay for the sells tax
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:24 am Reply with quote
JEFFMAN219 wrote:

How much do I pay? I believe it is 13% of whatever the value of the items is. So generally about $20 for a typical Rightstuf order (plus handling).

How much you pay will vary by province. Some places (Alberta) are as low as 5%. I don't think anywhere is higher than the 13% that BC and Ontario pay though.
manicli

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote
JEFFMAN219 wrote:

It depends on how much your order is, in Ontario the tax rate is 13%. So say I have a $250 dollar order. The tax will be $32.5 and Canada post will charge a $10 dollar handling fee for getting it past customs. The tax you pay is the same as you pay when buying anything in your province which you should be familiar with, just look at your receipts.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:12 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I don't think anywhere is higher than the 13% that BC and Ontario pay though.

Actually Nova Scotia and PEI (I'm pretty sure) both pay 15%.
JEFFMAN219

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
so would i have to pay the hst tax to canada post with their fee?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
Yep, the two totals: handling fee and sales tax are combined.
JEFFMAN219

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh God smh i might as well order from amazon.ca again because i get free shipping with purchises over 25 bucks
manicli

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
JEFFMAN219 wrote:
Oh God smh i might as well order from amazon.ca again because i get free shipping with purchises over 25 bucks

Haha that's what I use to think too because it's so much more convenient until I had some time and crunched some numbers. As it turns out, RightStuf is cheaper by a long shot even with the handling fee and tax! So you could order off amazon, I do too sometimes if I really want to watch it but otherwise I order off RightStuf or some other website.
JEFFMAN219

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
manicli wrote:
JEFFMAN219 wrote:

Haha that's what I use to think too because it's so much more convenient until I had some time and crunched some numbers. As it turns out, RightStuf is cheaper by a long shot even with the handling fee and tax! So you could order off amazon, I do too sometimes if I really want to watch it but otherwise I order off RightStuf or some other website.

The stuff that i want to order from righstuf all together will cost me $92.50 without the taxes. How much more will i have to pay with the canada post fee and the hst
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4