• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Shigurui: Death Frenzy DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Manga-ka Takayuki Yamaguchi, the brain (for lack of a better word) behind the universally reviled Apocalypse Zero...

Apocalypse Zero is magnificent and I lament that Media Blasters was unable to release the manga in its entirety. Crying or Very sad

If there was ever any doubt that Yamaguchi was trained by Kazuo Koike, Shigurui will quickly dispel that. I'm kind of surprised there are so many angry replies to the review, though. Can't you tell regardless of the writer's own position whether or not you would like the series? If so, mission accomplished! If not, let me add a detail for you that too many people in this thread are neglecting to consider: those intestines that guy pulls out of himself in the first episode? ARE CG.

CG intestines, people. You either want these or you don't. And if you want them, remember if that if you choose to wear them on your forehead, you have to keep them manually greased.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:39 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
What I meant by "benefit" was "benefit to the product."

Alright, but, as dragonknight1234 explained, the violence in Shigurui pretty much does support the show, both by tone and message. This isn't to say that it's never excessive -- I agree with dragonknight1234 on the first two scenes he mentions -- nor that it isn't stylized in a detached manner. But to criticze the acts portrayed is akin to protesting to the seedy corruption in a noir film.

Quote:
I haven't seen either Shigurui or Hellsing, so I feel a bit blind comparing them, but from everything I've heard, it seems like the plot in Shigurui is subservient to the action and violence.

Not the case for Shigurui; that would be Hellsing. Mind you, I'm also a fan of that manga, so you're basically condemning hundreds of thousands of that series' fans for taking delight in the shameless violence and bloodbath. Thus, Zac and all of the numerous Hellsing fans around the world are no different than those in the Roman Coliseum.

The form of Shigurui -- which includes violence -- is also a part of the function. The violence itself is also minimal in scenes, coming out in short bursts while much of the series builds tension through the lack of or the potential of action. The problem is that Carl latches on to these instances, exaggerates them, misses the entire point of the story and paints an unjustified picture. It's an incredibly poor review that relies on hysterics and slinging unsubstantiated insults at anyone who likes it -- something which Carl and Casey have stooped to far too much.

Quote:
That is to say, it seems like the violence is the main attraction. It is THAT which I compare to the Coliseum, not the presence of violence in general. As for the divide between real and fictional, you definitely have a point. It is a point that I respect, but I don't personally agree with it. I think that the two affect each other a lot more than we'd like to admit. I can't prove my viewpoint any more than you can prove yours (there are many cases that go each way), but it is a conclusion I have reached after many years of contemplation (and working with children, who aren't nearly as adept at creating emotional and social masks).

But the burden of proof is on you -- as in, there's no reason for me to assume likewise without a compelling argument. You're making an extreme correlation between people who like fictional violence and those who take pleasure in seeing actual, real humans kill themselves for senseless bloodshed.

Question: are those who particularly like Darth Vader or Rorschach sociopaths? They're the two most favored characters in the fandoms of Star Wars and Watchmen, respectively.

The logical conclusion of this is that anyone who takes any sort of pleasure in watching or reading fictional, "excessive" violence of ANY kind, regardless of what degree, are exactly the same as those in the Roman Coliseum. It's the same kind of condemnation that I see for those who play violent video games, despite the fact that so, so, so incredibly few of them even display such tendencies, and those that do are unstable beforehand.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
The problem is that Carl latches on to these instances, exaggerates them, misses the entire point of the story and paints an unjustified picture. It's an incredibly poor review that relies on hysterics and slinging unsubstantiated insults at anyone who likes it -- something which Carl and Casey have stooped to far too much.

I've read Carl's review several times now and to be honest, all the complaining doesn't make much sense to me, unless you're really... honestly, ludicrously thin-skinned. Which I've noticed a lot of fans are, especially those who take severe personal insult to seemingly everything.

I've seen Shigurui and I don't really find fault with Carl's comments. It's a brutal f*cking show and it certainly wallows in it. It is exploitative as hell.

As you said, just like Hellsing. And yeah, there is an element of Roman Coliseum-like voyeurism to it, and it's a bit of a sick thrill. I know in that volume of Hellsing where Victoria takes that crazy inked-up Nazi bitch and literally grinds her skull into paste against a brick wall, I was like, "hell yeah this comic rocks", because that's awesome and disgusting and cool. And that's OK. I'm not out pulling the wings off of flies or plotting to murder local stray cats - I just like ultraviolence every now and then. I don't see what's so horrible about admitting that, and I don't see how what Carl said about the show was so wrong or somehow counter to that.

Personally, I didn't like Shigurui much precisely for the reason Carl pointed to in his review - it's humorless. There has to be a wink in there somewhere, something that tells you that this is not meant to be taken too seriously; Hellsing practically becomes a farce by the end, and Hirano goes out of his way to wink at the audience. Not that it's a comedy, but there are plenty of cues in there to where you know he's going over-the-top for the sake of it, in the tradition of Grindhouse movies or campy 80's horror flicks. Shigurui, on the other hand, lacks that almost completely, so the appeal isn't there for me. It's just no fun to watch.

Lemme put it this way; you know that sequence in Kill Bill where Uma Thurman is just dicing up the Crazy 88 with her sword, and it's extremely violent and blood is just everywhere but you know this is intentionally over-the-top and borderline silly? Well, imagine if that little wink wasn't in there - it felt too exploitative, too gruesome, too "real". Filmed in a way that felt almost perverted, like the violence is supposed to provide an almost sexual thrill. That would sap all of my enjoyment out of it.

There's a strong tendency, I've noticed, for fans to take reviews personally as a kneejerk reaction. For instance:

Review:

"If you dig panty shots, you're gonna love this show." Likely demonstrably true by the sheer number of panty shots, the marketing, the box art, etcetera.

Fan response to said review:

"WHAT!?!? I LOVE this show and I don't care about the panty shots!! WHY DO YOU INSULT ME SO?! UNPROFESSIONAL BIAS BLARGRHEGGRHRGGGRHHHHRGGGHRHhhhh"

And this happens a lot, and it isn't just with Casey or Carl. I see it everywhere. Not just on this site, either. Everywhere. So that makes it a little harder to take the complaints seriously; it's like, Carl's reaction to the show does not say anything about you personally, so why do you react like it does? It doesn't make any sense to those of us who are unlikely to react that way to a personal opinion piece, especially something like a media review.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I've read Carl's review several times now and to be honest, all the complaining doesn't make much sense to me, unless you're really... honestly, ludicrously thin-skinned.

Except I've only mentioned Carl's unneeded asides as, well, asides, and have never really taken offense to them (unless we're going to redefine "insult" as "minor annoyance" now). Like many others complaining here, I've focused on the actual content of the review. But if you're going to stroke us all with the same brush as those that complain whenever their favorite moe shows are given negative marks, regardless of what's actually said, okay.

Quote:
Shigurui, on the other hand, lacks that almost completely, so the appeal isn't there for me. It's just no fun to watch.

Example: the second episode concludes with a scene of a master swordsman pissing himself. It's not that they're deliberately playing it for yucks, because the audience should be naturally inclined to think "holy shit that's ridiculous". If someone expects the conventional wink-wink-nudge-nudge oh hey another homage by Tarantino to indicate that the staff realize the absurdism, okay, but that's not the same for all viewers across the board. Elfen Lied, as boring as I find it, has that kind of mean-spirited awareness when it explains away the reason for the idiocy in male leads in harems and literally make the tsundere be two different personalities.

Quote:
Review:

"If you dig panty shots, you're gonna love this show." Likely demonstrably true by the sheer number of panty shots, the marketing, the box art, etcetera.

Fan response to said review:

"WHAT!?!? I LOVE this show and I don't care about the panty shots!! WHY DO YOU INSULT ME SO?! UNPROFESSIONAL BIAS BLARGRHEGGRHRGGGRHHHHRGGGHRHhhhh"

I don't see any fan of Shigurui in this thread denying that it's hyper-violent and won't appeal to many people, claim that there's "unprofessional bias," nor even reject that the freak-show element of the show isn't part of the (off-kilter) attraction to the story. But it's reductive and disingenuous to claim that that's the sole appeal, and that only fans of violence and sex will go for it (because reviewers are hardly mind readers).

Quote:
So that makes it a little harder to take the complaints seriously; it's like, Carl's reaction to the show does not say anything about you personally, so why do you react like it does?

Again, nearly all complaints here about the content; but if you insist:

Carl Kimlinger wrote:
Though even gorehounds may find the series' conclusion, which fails to resolve any of the major conflicts, singularly unsatisfying.

Because, I dunno, it's not exactly flattering being called a gorehound simply for the enjoyment of one series.

And while not personal to any fan, really, it's these points where there's a display of what the reviewers wants to see rather than what is:

Quote:
But that isn't all. Shigurui doesn't just embrace the gut-splattering violence of medieval machismo, but also its knuckle-dragging treatment of everything from cripples to women to homosexuals. In Shigurui's world women are objects to be traded, the handicapped are smug, back-stabbing cowards, and homosexuals are self-fellating perverts who leave a trail of bloodied boys in their wake.

Because Carl is breaking the most obvious rule of interpreting the negative attributes of characters to be representative of what the creator(s) think(s) of people like that in real life; if, say, there's a black character in the work given a heinous attribute, even if all of the characters around him are just as if not worse, then that means the writer obvously considers blacks to be subhuman. You can't use that kind of logical fallacy, let alone cherry-pick negative portrayals by ignoring part of the material.

Then there's stuff like this...

Quote:
In them Chris Bevins makes several unfortunate comparisons to the works of Akira Kurosawa (by way of Takashi Miike), David Cronenberg and David Lynch—all of whom, the long-deceased Kurosawa included, can excrete more wit and intelligence after a breakfast of bad burritos than this series can muster throughout its entire length.

...where Carl doesn't even acknowledge the criticisms those three directors receive -- and there's plenty if one is familiar at all with modern cinema -- which renders that entire paragraph as a construction for Carl's delivery of his witty metaphor with unsubstantiated claims that those three directors are in the clear of any excess and taking themselves far too seriously. The passage deviates from the critique of the work itself and renders it redundant and self-indulgent.

I know it's easier to basically breeze through the thread and essentially dismiss the criticisms raised about the review as "knee-jerk reactions taking this as a personal insult," but I would think it'd be far more courteous to actually consider the points raised. On the other hand, I guess we could all be delusional, and all of the apparently logical points we raise in defense aren't any different than the "NO MOE IS GREAT YOU JUST SUCK" nonsense that's filled this forum in the past. Carl and Casey might also have never stepped across the line; never write in an overtly negative tone that takes unwarranted stabs at the creative staff and/or fandom; and have always made fully-substantiated points that never establish something that's untrue and/or misleading of the work. It could also be just a coincidence that they are the ones who seemingly receive these criticisms far more often from readers compared to other regulars (Theron Martin, Carlo Santos, Bamboo Dong, Justin Sevakis and you, Zac -- and I don't see generic "KnJ was cancelled by Answerfag lol" comments as anything but trolling).

I mean, all of that could be true, but I'm a bit skeptical. You obviously want substantial feedback that disagree with your reviewers, but it's also important to recognize it amidst the deluge of crying fans.
Ian K

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote
@Zac

Quote:

I've read Carl's review several times now and to be honest, all the complaining doesn't make much sense to me, unless you're really... honestly, ludicrously thin-skinned. Which I've noticed a lot of fans are, especially those who take severe personal insult to seemingly everything.

Well, I'm not that thin-skinned, and I don't feel insulted by the Shigurui review. Where a lot of people, I think, have trouble with it is it focuses on the gore, etc, and dismisses the things we like about the show off hand.

An old theory of criticism (I forget who came up with it) is that a critic should ask three questions:
1)What is the work trying to accomplish?
2)How well does it accomplish it?
3)Is what it is trying to accomplish worthwhile?

It feels like the reviewer failed to fully consider point #1. He only considers that it might be trying to appeal to prurient interests, and doesn't convincingly address whether it is trying to deliver a point. If he feels it fails in its objective, all well and good, but he shouldn't try to judge it by the standards of shows with different objectives. Example: His and your statements about there being no humor in the series. This would be a valid criticism against an action show, perhaps, but its frankly a stupid argument to make against a show that is trying to make a statement about the baser side of human nature.

So there you have it, my two cents.
dragonknight1234

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

My basic complaint is that Carl simply didn't understand the show, and when I say understand, I'm not even referring to the deeper psychological interpretation. I'm saying that he could not even recall basic events correctly, such as spoiler[when referred to Seigen being a backstabber, which is completely incorrect. Or his focus on women as objects when everyone is pretty much an object to the uber-powerful and insane Kogan.] Many of his statements are either incorrect or askewed. Like others said before, it doesn't even seem like he watched the show. This is my main complaint.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I really love the amount of great discussion that's going on in this thread. It reminds me of why I started browsing forums in the first place. You learn so much.

This is probably going to be my last post here, as the discussion seems to be fizzling out, but I want to reaffirm one thing.

I am not drawing a direct correlation between watching ultra-violent anime and watching two men hack at each other; I'm drawing an indirect one. I am simply saying that I think the same mindset is at work, and we're traveling down the same path that eventually led to the Coliseum in ages past. There will always be exceptions and people who have very clearly drawn the line (which, HellKorn, based on our discussion, I think you are one of), but there are people who don't know how to draw the line either. Maybe all of this is rolling through my head because I've been reading Tad Williams' Otherland cyberpunk novels, which give his interpretation of how this issue will escalate in the future. Not just as an anime fan, but as a person, I am concerned that things have come so far so fast that an ultraviolent show like this can get mainstream coverage.

Thanks for the great discussion. I look forward to seeing you in more discussion threads.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

Except I've only mentioned Carl's unneeded asides as, well, asides, and have never really taken offense to them (unless we're going to redefine "insult" as "minor annoyance" now).

They're "unneeded" to you. You're not Carl's editor; if you don't like his writing style, fine, but that's how he writes. He's been writing that way for years. It's his voice.

Quote:

Like many others complaining here, I've focused on the actual content of the review. But if you're going to stroke us all with the same brush as those that complain whenever their favorite moe shows are given negative marks, regardless of what's actually said, okay.

OK, let me point to something here - "I've focused on the content", but in your very next sentence you're complaining about feeling personally insulted by a broad statement, taking personal offense when none was intended. This happens again later.

Quote:

Example: the second episode concludes with a scene of a master swordsman pissing himself. It's not that they're deliberately playing it for yucks, because the audience should be naturally inclined to think "holy shit that's ridiculous". If someone expects the conventional wink-wink-nudge-nudge oh hey another homage by Tarantino to indicate that the staff realize the absurdism, okay, but that's not the same for all viewers across the board. Elfen Lied, as boring as I find it, has that kind of mean-spirited awareness when it explains away the reason for the idiocy in male leads in harems and literally make the tsundere be two different personalities.

And so we hit a point where we have three very different interpretations of the work, three different ways of looking at it and three different reactions to it. Which is what happens. That's what people have. My reaction to it is different from yours, Carl's reaction to it is different from either of us. You seem to posit here that yours is more correct, and that we're somehow wrong, and ultimately that's the real problem here, because we ought to be writing about the show the way you would be writing about it, not the way we actually reacted to or interpreted the material.

I really appreciate your thoughtful commentary - and I say that sincerely - but it's the "well, here's the problem with this review, it's not simply that he and I disagree about the show, it's some systemic problem with the way things are done here and the reviewer himself" attitude that sets me off. Disagree all you like with the opinion expressed, but suggesting that it's more than a simple disagreement is where I shut you off.

Believe it or not I have agreed with several criticisms of many of our reviews in the past and I have had conversations with our critics about them. I don't make those conversations public because that would be a completely dick thing to do and not at all professional.

Quote:

But it's reductive and disingenuous to claim that that's the sole appeal, and that only fans of violence and sex will go for it (because reviewers are hardly mind readers).

This reads like pedantry to me. You want him to split hairs and phrase things in a way that does not at all generalize, regardless of how he feels about the show.

Carl's opinion is that the show doesn't have much going on for it outside of the sex and violence and even that isn't fun to watch. That's what it boils down to. If you read that as "he's saying I'm only watching this show for the sex and violence" then to be honest you're internalizing this stuff way, way too much. The review is not about you.

Quote:

Again, nearly all complaints here about the content; but if you insist:

That isn't really what I'm seeing, even in your comments.

Quote:

Because, I dunno, it's not exactly flattering being called a gorehound simply for the enjoyment of one series.

Carl did not call you a gorehound.

Quote:

And while not personal to any fan, really, it's these points where there's a display of what the reviewers wants to see rather than what is:

It is not at all fair for you to react to that line by saying "I don't like being called a gorehound!" and then follow that up with "well it's not personal to any fan". You can't take it personally and then say it's not meant to be taken personally.

Quote:
But that isn't all. Shigurui doesn't just embrace the gut-splattering violence of medieval machismo, but also its knuckle-dragging treatment of everything from cripples to women to homosexuals. In Shigurui's world women are objects to be traded, the handicapped are smug, back-stabbing cowards, and homosexuals are self-fellating perverts who leave a trail of bloodied boys in their wake.

Quote:

Because Carl is breaking the most obvious rule of interpreting the negative attributes of characters to be representative of what the creator(s) think(s) of people like that in real life; if, say, there's a black character in the work given a heinous attribute, even if all of the characters around him are just as if not worse, then that means the writer obvously considers blacks to be subhuman. You can't use that kind of logical fallacy, let alone cherry-pick negative portrayals by ignoring part of the material.

I've seen the show, and while you have sort of a point - sort of - I don't necessarily agree with the notion that because the men in the show are also scumbags that excuses the portrayal of the violent perverted homosexual or the endless violence against women, or that nobody should ever take offense or have a problem with those elements of the show.

If a show has a horribly racist portrayal of a Hispanic man in it but also has a bunch of other horrible racist crap in it, that doesn't completely pardon the material and that doesn't mean it's not OK to talk about the offensive stuff or even dislike it for the parts that offend you.

Quote:
In them Chris Bevins makes several unfortunate comparisons to the works of Akira Kurosawa (by way of Takashi Miike), David Cronenberg and David Lynch—all of whom, the long-deceased Kurosawa included, can excrete more wit and intelligence after a breakfast of bad burritos than this series can muster throughout its entire length.

Quote:
...where Carl doesn't even acknowledge the criticisms those three directors receive -- and there's plenty if one is familiar at all with modern cinema -- which renders that entire paragraph as a construction for Carl's delivery of his witty metaphor with unsubstantiated claims that those three directors are in the clear of any excess and taking themselves far too seriously. The passage deviates from the critique of the work itself and renders it redundant and self-indulgent.

I'll say this - Carl's point was that Shigurui does not deserve to be compared to the work of those three directors in any capacity. I agree with him. I haven't seen many anime that do honestly deserve to be seriously compared to the work of David Lynch or Akira Kurosawa. (Miike is up for debate, though...)

The rest of this suggests that what you want is fairly cold, clinical and academic analysis of the work, presented without personality. You will not really find that here, unless the work itself demands that sort of attention. Shigurui, I would argue, really doesn't. Carl wrote the review in his voice, and his review reflects his honest reaction to the show.

Quote:

I know it's easier to basically breeze through the thread and essentially dismiss the criticisms raised about the review as "knee-jerk reactions taking this as a personal insult,"

That isn't at all what I'm doing.

Quote:

I mean, all of that could be true, but I'm a bit skeptical. You obviously want substantial feedback that disagree with your reviewers, but it's also important to recognize it amidst the deluge of crying fans.

I appreciate your sincerity and I know you're not just another "crying fan", but you have to allow me to disagree with you and present my points without assuming motive. You also have to understand that a lot of what you're suggesting is that there's something wrong specifically about Carl's reviews and Casey's reviews, something deep, something systemic, which is a serious charge. That's a really heavy thing to suggest.

And I guess that's the line I think you're crossing - the suggestion that Carl is unfit to review this show, rather than simply presenting an opinion on it that you don't agree with.

I could be wrong about that.
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:17 am Reply with quote
I'm just glad I don't have to defend myself as a moe, romcom, lolicon, w/e fan. Tis about time another genre's fans had to whip out their defenses.

I myself like this show, although I must say it's grotesque in a bad way at times. spoiler[(Like the nipple cutting. Seriously.... what the f, man.)]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:33 am Reply with quote
Here's what I'll say about the series. It only took these manga volumes coming into my work, and seeing the covers, to convince me that this may not be that great of a series. And it looks like I've been right, when seeing how the reaction of the review compares to my own thoughts concerning the series. Personally I rather would not watch this series, and Carlo and Zac confirm that.

Regarding Hellsing, it does have gruesome violence. I will not disagree with that. What else does it have though? A vampire who doesn't really give a rat's ass about things, a Draculina who finds herself to be the butt of jokes at times in a hilarious way, zombies and Nazis. What more could you ask for first of all from a guy who started out doing dojinshi. To me, dojinshi should not be taken 100% seriously, while at the same time it still offers you the chance to look at the author's potential. But back to the point, Hellsing just rocks. If it didn't have all those elements and add onto that the humor, then why would I even read or watch it?

Now onto Shigurui, this series reminds me of a bunch of other series. I can give two examples of what the review for the content of this series reminds of. The first one is Samurai Gun with its treatment of women in feudal era Japan. Like the review says this era was not nice to women, and I got to learn in a little more detail about this ugly practice in Japanese classes. It was not a good life for women of those days if they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. The second series I would identify this series would be the psycho thriller Ichi the Killer. Aside from a one episode OVA and a live action movie, there is no anime for this series. But the 10 volumes manga itself will have you cringing like no other that you have seen before. If I were to go into detail about what kinds of sick acts that come up in that series this post would probably be edited. However, in this thread and the review there was a reference to nipple cutting in which I can tell THAT happens several times in the Ichi the Killer manga series. And now people are going to start getting headaches when they read about that, and so I apologize.

So it comes down to this: maybe sometimes with all the violence that we take in and such these days, maybe the media can get a little too violent. And Shigurui is an example of that. You can say that anytime you watch violence you enjoy it, but such cannot be the case all the time. A last example of this would be the Saw series. I cannot understand how they can make a movie series of people mutilating themselves and people will go out to watch that. That is something I cannot comprehend.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:31 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Quote:

Carl did not call you a gorehound.

I'm trying to stay out of this since I haven't actually seen Shigurui but come on, you've gotta give him that one.

Quote:
If, like Luke seeking refuge inside a tauntaun's abdominal cavity, you're looking for a gory, smelly haven from the cold wastes of namby-pamby peacenik action, then perhaps Shigurui is the title for you. Of course, you could always just watch Berserk again and skip all of the stylistic excess, humorless posturing and festering misogyny, and get likeable characters, a genuine plot and some real humanity in the bargain. Plus you won't taste raw tauntaun for weeks afterward. Though some folks like the taste of raw tauntaun. If that's you—dig in. Though even gorehounds may find the series' conclusion, which fails to resolve any of the major conflicts, singularly unsatisfying.

Maybe he didn't mean to but this wording pretty strongly implies that if are one of the aforementioned 'If that's you' that likes this show then you are a 'gorehound.'
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote
This is very long-winded, and probably misses a lot of points/fails to convey them properly; however, I think this interesting and fun, so I don't care. I'll more than understand a concise reply if one is given.

BleuVII wrote:
I am not drawing a direct correlation between watching ultra-violent anime and watching two men hack at each other; I'm drawing an indirect one. I am simply saying that I think the same mindset is at work, and we're traveling down the same path that eventually led to the Coliseum in ages past. There will always be exceptions and people who have very clearly drawn the line (which, HellKorn, based on our discussion, I think you are one of), but there are people who don't know how to draw the line either.

See, I hold a different kind of cynicism in that regard. The kind of violence, abuse, bigotry, what-have-you that is inherent in human nature is a constant. There are different values that we hold in different times. Just as much as we make progress in certain areas, we take a step back, or simply just stay the same.

What I do think is far the better is freedom of expression through media -- which obviously includes entertainment. This isn't based on any particular fact, but I do think that while certain elements of a culture can be obviously drawn from the type of entertainment it has -- hell, that's a part of anthropology, so I don't need to tell you that -- I do believe that it can be readily disassociated in terms of the mindset of the actions -- in other words, it's reflective of some part of that culture, large or small. That Shigurui exists, simply based on a superficial reading (i.e. a hyper-violent story with sexual elements and drowned in egomania), is simply showing what is generally not acknowledged and/or allowed to be expressed in media. Even with a more densitized trend in modern cultures, I don't forsee material like this becoming mainstream by virtue of the same human nature that Shigurui examines.

Quote:
Thanks for the great discussion. I look forward to seeing you in more discussion threads.

Forum sadly doesn't give much opportunity nowadays when they frequently devolve into mindless arguments about lolicon, moe and fansubs.

Zac wrote:
They're "unneeded" to you. You're not Carl's editor; if you don't like his writing style, fine, but that's how he writes. He's been writing that way for years. It's his voice.

True enough, but I don't see what those asides add other than unneeded controversy.

Quote:
OK, let me point to something here - "I've focused on the content", but in your very next sentence you're complaining about feeling personally insulted by a broad statement, taking personal offense when none was intended. This happens again later.

I don't know, man; if a person isn't taking this personally outside of one comment (and even then just taking it as a minor annoyance), then another person accuses of them taking it personally, you wouldn't expect that they act totally indifferent, right?

Quote:
My reaction to it is different from yours, Carl's reaction to it is different from either of us. You seem to posit here that yours is more correct, and that we're somehow wrong, and ultimately that's the real problem here, because we ought to be writing about the show the way you would be writing about it, not the way we actually reacted to or interpreted the material.

It's not a difference of seeing mine as the superior interpretation; I actually agree that Shigurui does not contain humor. If Carl goes through the material -- criticizing why characterization doesn't work other than these characters are nasty, which is the point; that the plot doesn't work for what reasons he can describe -- and doesn't focus on the series as a "for the more purient fans only" recommendation, I'd be fine with that. I just don't see a point for why one cannot see the absurdity, and then not acknowledge them as breaks in tonality.

Quote:
Carl's opinion is that the show doesn't have much going on for it outside of the sex and violence and even that isn't fun to watch. That's what it boils down to. If you read that as "he's saying I'm only watching this show for the sex and violence" then to be honest you're internalizing this stuff way, way too much. The review is not about you.

By extension I suppose it originates from an issue of ego -- that is, I wouldn't want to be associated with "goreheads" and the like -- but it's not that simple of an issue as ikillchicken points out.

It's like reviewing Kodomo no Jikan and stating in a more eloquent manner, "Lolicons will eat this up," over the course of a paragraph (or two) -- with particular emphasis on the controversial side of the story while stepping around or even neglecting other aspects of more tangible criticism. That focus suggests that only lolicons can enjoy the show because it never bothers to consider potential audience. (Mind you, I hate that series for the melodrama and don't care about the sexual fanservice.) A reviewer's opinion is their own, and how they feel about it should be expressed as they want, but they should also realize that they shouldn't paint too restrictive of an image of a story as this could close off an audience that would go for it (evident by those who in this thread who are attracted to Shigurui for more than just the ultraviolence).

Quote:
I've seen the show, and while you have sort of a point - sort of - I don't necessarily agree with the notion that because the men in the show are also scumbags that excuses the portrayal of the violent perverted homosexual or the endless violence against women, or that nobody should ever take offense or have a problem with those elements of the show.

If a show has a horribly racist portrayal of a Hispanic man in it but also has a bunch of other horrible racist crap in it, that doesn't completely pardon the material and that doesn't mean it's not OK to talk about the offensive stuff or even dislike it for the parts that offend you.

I just don't buy that because one group is represented negatively in a piece of fiction, then it's indicative of the story's -- and by extension the author's -- view of them. If a Jewish character is portrayed negatively, there must be another model displayed in a positive light to offset this, otherwise the work runs the threat of being labeled as "anti-Semitic trash" and gives people a so-called "moral" criticism of the material. I understand the inevitability of people being offended by, well, anything in most story. However, I still struggle with attempts to view entertainment "morally good or morally bad," and have never seen a convincing argument outside of deliberate, hate-filled propaganda for why it should ever be considered such.

Specifically, Shigurui centers on the depraved, crazed side of human nature, both with excess and worthwhile commentary. The heterosexual men are shown in an extremely negative manner, and it is their motivations and psyche that are directly struck down. But due to our nature of fairness and reaction to history, some viewers are drawn to the females' suffering, or that the very few homosexual males are just as nasty as the heterosexuals. Even Carl wants to distort the point about cripples and say that they're portrayed as backstabbers despite the fact that spoiler[Irako is the one who is betrayed.] Really, I find it particularly interesting that spoiler[it is he and Iku who are not only shown as justified in their attempt for revenge, but that they also succeed -- the cripple and leading female destroy the insane domination of Kogan. The master loses not just his life, but practically his entire dojo by the end of the story.]

Quote:
The rest of this suggests that what you want is fairly cold, clinical and academic analysis of the work, presented without personality.

I'm not interested in that; I just don't see what that particular paragraph adds when Carl has already made his views known that Shigurui is devoid of much, if any merit. I suppose one could argue that it provides a frame of reference -- that Carl is fully capapable of liking works with a lot of sex and violence in them -- but that was already nailed down with his earlier contrast between political correctness and bad taste. I just see it as a case of namedropping famous directors, wasting an opportunity to delve more into the story itself.

Quote:
You also have to understand that a lot of what you're suggesting is that there's something wrong specifically about Carl's reviews and Casey's reviews, something deep, something systemic, which is a serious charge. That's a really heavy thing to suggest.

And I guess that's the line I think you're crossing - the suggestion that Carl is unfit to review this show, rather than simply presenting an opinion on it that you don't agree with.

I don't think that's anything inherently wrong with their reviews, or whatever their likes and dislikes are. If he hates Shigurui and presents valid reasons why, I may respond to some points and let that be that -- while I don't agree with him on the point, his fourth paragraph on Hamazaki's direction is an example of the type I like to see. Plenty of Carl's and Casey's reviews published here have been somewhat lax in tonality while still supportive of their personalities, and also don't invite undesirable controversy. That's fine, and individualizing one's reviews in that manner is great.

Yet I've noticed that they, unlike other reviewers here, will occasionally drop specific comments that only serve to egg fans on, or else make points about a story that only fall back on simplified generalization and make way for easy fan critiquing (as Carl has done here with missing story points that dragonknight1234 pointed out). Casey's reviews of Me and the Devil Blues, Honey and Clover and Ouran High School Host Club immediately come to mind. And while I don't care for moe titles and believe that a lot of those fans act in a ridiculous, unproductive manner (hurling insult after insult at a reviewer is just stupid), I don't think it's an admirable route to take when one includes a statement about the writer's S&M fantasies in Nanoha when negative remarks surrounding sexuality are already going to be jumped on -- that's just fanning the flames for little to no reason.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:11 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
If you want to give this thread a read -- or the exchange between Zac and myself, at the very least -- it'd be cool. Wouldn't mind you sharing your thoughts, as well, either on that thread or in this PM.

I’d be happy to although, having not seen Shingurui, I can’t really comment on the specifics of the show.
You might regret asking me though – having just read the review and the thread that followed, I have to say my take on this is probably as far from yours as Zac’s is. Apologies in advance.

Also, I don’t have much on at work today so be prepared for an essay…

Re. Carl Kimlinger’s writing / reviewing style

I think Carl is actually one of ANN’s better reviewers. He’s not quite up there with Justin Sevakis (who, now that Zac rarely reviews anything, is the most interesting and engaging reviewer ANN has to offer by a very wide margin) but his grasp doesn’t constantly exceed his reach in the way that Casey Brienza’s seems to and I find his work infinitely preferable to, say, the undiscriminating fanboy enthusiasm of Carlo Santos. I don’t actually see all that much of his stuff anymore because I generally skip the anime reviews these days (aside from the Buried Treasure column) but I like his writing style when I do encounter it and I appreciate his willingness to skewer sacred cows when they deserve to be skewered – his controversial Death Note review was excellent.
His writing is opinionated, sometimes value-driven and judgemental and, yes, he does like his little asides but, then, these are all things that are equally true of my own writing so I obviously don’t find any of that to be inherently off putting and nor do I think any of it is incompatible with good review writing.

Re. Making assumptions about a work’s audience

Nobody likes to read a negative review only to find that they, the viewer / listener / reader, are included within the scope of the reviewer’s attack. Hostility to that is inevitable – especially given that any such attack is bound to be a blanket generalisation.
On the other hand, I absolutely reject the notion that a work (or, at least, many works) can be properly evaluated and put into context without considering who it’s aimed at and why.
And, let’s face it, a certain amount of implied audience criticism is absolutely inherent in review writing (at least of that part of the audience that are active fans rather than casual viewers). If I write, for example, that a show is unrelentingly childish and irredeemably lowbrow, what am I suggesting about any adult who’d choose to watch it, let alone champion it? If I write that a show persistently features creepy, paedophilic overtones, am I not also inadvertently suggesting that the fans of the show either actively appreciate that material (with all that that implies) or are too stupid to recognise it for what it is?

I think that audience criticism, whilst obviously potentially uncomfortable for the fans in question, isn’t a problem in and of itself unless the reviewer has misjudged either the work itself or the degree to which a particular aspect of the work (e.g. violence) drives the audience’s appreciation of the work.
Obviously I can’t evaluate whether or not that’s so in this instance, having not seen the show.

Re. The appeal of violence

Following on from the above, I think it’s valid – if sometimes uncomfortable – to question the appeal of violent entertainment.

I don’t avoid violent content but I do prefer that it either serves some purpose or else is presented with tongue firmly in cheek and I steer clear of the sort of voyeuristic simulated torture porn that seems to categorise some recent Hollywood (and Far Eastern) horror movies.
Even so, I’m aware that there’s a lot of violence in the media I consume and it’s sometimes the case that I find myself thinking “cool” whilst watching some scene of Technicolor carnage unfold and then wondering just what it is that I’m enjoying and why.
That’s not an easy question to ask of yourself but I don’t think it’s unreasonable for a reviewer to pose it. Hell, it’s not even unreasonable for the person making the work to pose said questions: see Man Bites Dog for a good example of a work that provides the viewer with scene after scene of escalating unpleasantness whilst simultaneously questioning them as to why they’re watching it.

Graphic depictions of violence aren’t bad in and of themselves – I’d much rather watch a violent war film that doesn’t make war look like a spiffing Boys’ Own adventure story than a relatively bloodless one that does – but if all a work has to offer is splatter then I think it’s perfectly reasonable to express doubts about the motivation people have for following it.
So if all Carl sees in this work is explicit, sadistic, gratuitous violence, why wouldn’t he draw conclusions from that about its audience?

Of course, if there’s much more to the show than that and / or the violence serves some purpose other than vicarious thrills then he’s out of line.

Re. Misogyny / homophobia

The highly skilled (but colourfully deranged and sociopathic) ultra-camp gay killer does seem to be a pretty common character archetype in Japanese pulp films (whether historical or yakuza) and if the character in this show fits that mould then, yeah, it’s pretty homophobic (in a way that it wouldn’t be if it were a one off character description rather than a trope).

Similarly, Japan is still an inherently sexist nation and what Michael Zielenziger persuasively describes as a “homosocial” society. Unsurprisingly, that sexism and gender isolation / fear of the other often seem to result in overtly misogynistic themes in its popular culture. It’s not happenstance that rape material is so prevalent in the Japanese arts.
Of course, I have no basis on which to judge whether or not this show is guilty as charged but I don’t find it remotely difficult to imagine that it might be so.

Presuming these things are actually in evidence, I certainly have no objection to them being mentioned in a review – in fact, I’d think it was a notable omission if they weren’t.

Re. The missing argument in favour of Shingurui

The one thing I’m really not seeing from this whole debate is a counter-argument from the fans of the show. I see well-argued posts debating Carl’s approach, dismissing generalisations and disputing his conclusions but I don’t see anything that explains to me why the show is actually really good or what it has to offer me.

In other words, if it isn’t a nasty, exploitative gorefest, what is it?

After all, reviews are most important to those who haven’t seen the work already so if Carl’s interpretation is in error what should a newcomer expect from this show?
LauraOrganaSolo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I wish a lot of the comments in this thread could be featured alongside the actual review just to provide a counterpoint to the author's ire towards this series.

Hell, just put dragonknight1234's posts at the bottom of the review.

I'm really boggled. I'm kind of a wuss, and I hated the Berserk manga with a burning passion because of the repetitive rape and orgy scenes. But I actually enjoyed the Shigurui anime in spite of its gut-churning violence.

It must be because Shigurui is such an extraordinary breath of realism and a lack of romanticization when it comes to samurai and Sengoku + Edo era Japan in anime and to a lesser degree, pop culture and movies in general.

I love the whole honorable, stoic samurai idealization but historically the caste in general was prone to being cruel, self-entitled bullies. And how can someone criticize an anime that depicts women exactly as they were treated in the Edo era ? It's awful but really, give credit where credit is due.

TL;DR: Shigurui may be gross but it is not sleazy. It just doesn't pull any punches or hold back or censor itself where others might.

Quote:
That said, Yamazaki's sexual attraction with the new kid was rather interesting; in an explosive montage of sexual imagery, Yamazaki's obsession was conveyed really effectively and acknowledged the fact that: yes... some Samurai were probably gay (which, as far as I can tell, probably isn't a popular subject in Samurai stories).

HEH. You don't hear about it much because of the embrace of Western culture that occurred during the Meiji era and there after.

Homosexuality amongst men of the samurai caste and various "priesthoods" was apparently legendary. There was masses of books written on the subject in Japanese, including a collection of professions of love written between daimyo and vassals. Famous samurai manual Hagakure includes guidelines for homosexual pedagogic relationships but this seems to be edited out of a lot of translations. It's certainly not in my copy. Anyway, refer to Wikipedia's entry on shudo and check out the source list on the Wikipedia page for Pederastic Couples in Japan.

Quote:
From what I've seen, Shigurui takes it a step further. Shigurui doesn't spare the audience from the depravity of its characters. Ex: The [seppuku scene]. Needless to say this goes against basic human nature. People just don't disembowel themselves on a regular basis.

They did in feudal Japan -- to the point where a law was eventually passed in the time of the Tokugawa shogunate where samurai were forbidden from committing seppuku just because their lord had died.

That Wikipedia article also specifically discusses the act in Shigurui that you are referencing ("kanshi (諌死), 'death of understanding'").

Quote:
Gah, now I'm even more torn about getting this series. Texhnolyze has been mentioned a few times and I loved that series, so should I give this one a chance as well?

I'd say give it a shot. It helps if you're into the whole samurai/jidaigeki thing though.

Quote:
the review touts the sex in this as some sort of porno or something... i really have to disagree... i found the sex scenes and nudity in this to be handled with a sense of discretion and artist sentiment... even when it is rape... it's not treated like some sort of eroticism for the viewers pleasure... there's no gaudy fan-service in this series... and i thank god for it... to be able to show nudity without "giggling like a pervy grade schooler" about it, is something i can really appreciate... it shows, both how beautiful and how horrific sexual acts can be... and it does it without turning it into some sort of explicit side show...

This. It's exactly what made the Berserk manga infuriating and Shigurui tolerable. Berserk was HEY LET'S RAPE THE RANDOM PEASANT WOMEN EVERY COUPLE CHAPTERS! Shigurui's sexual content didn't come off as pandering.

Quote:
The violence in this is very unrealistic, beginning with the disemboweling scene in the first episode.

Refer to my brief dissertation on seppuku and the fact that the act that you are referring to not only occurred in the past but apparently occurred with such frequency that there is a specific term for committing seppuku out of protest.

Quote:
There has to be a wink in there somewhere, something that tells you that this is not meant to be taken too seriously; Hellsing practically becomes a farce by the end, and Hirano goes out of his way to wink at the audience.

I would agree whole-heartedly except that this is historical fiction. It's not unreasonable to imagine similar situations -- the dojo drama, the murder, the revenge plots, the sexual abuse (albeit with the exception of some of the excesses like the nipple thing) -- as actually having happened.

Quote:
I see little difference between "entertainment" like this and the old Roman Coliseum. I weep that we live in a time where someone can legitimately make a living producing entertainment with this much gore and violence and pass it off as "artistic."

...It's this excessiveness that I object to, and it's this excessiveness that makes me think that this "artistic" piece is simply trying to shift the line of acceptability one step further. I've heard that it doesn't glorify the violence, but I haven't heard from anybody what the main selling point is if it isn't the excessive violence. (I'm not talking about the plot of the story; I'm talking about the selling point that they use to get those DVDs off the shelves and into your player.) Maybe someone can enlighten me?

Although I certainly agree that boundless gore, violence, and sex are disgusting and as a parallel, I abhor stuff like the Hostel movies and all the Saw movies past the first one, some of Takeshi Miike's movies (which means I will probably never touch the Shigurui manga), I think the Shigurui anime still ought to be acknowledged for its brutally realistic and oddly refreshing look at samurai.

THAT is the selling point, IMO.
And as a squeamish wimp, it made watching this show worth it.
bateszi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I've really enjoyed reading this discussion, even if the review itself was disappointing. One point I wanted to note is that the comparisons between Cronenberg and Hamazaki aren't far off the mark at all. Both share this strange (yet fascinating) obsession with, as DKL so well puts it, "permanent damage". It's certainly clear if you compare Shigurui to Texhnolyze, where there is a very notable lingering on the moment of violence. It's the same with Cronenberg's films, particularly in his weirder, more grotesque flicks like Videodrome. (Don't forget that Cronenberg started out with cheap horror like Rabid, too.) I'd go so far as to say that Hamazaki is another anime auteur in the making. He has crafted two very evocative series with a distinctive style (foreboding, violent, harsh, grotesque) and I'm waiting for his next project with a great sense of excitement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6