• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-04-22

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:26 am Reply with quote
I've been to cons a few times, but only saw a few people as bad as that. It's the hardcore video gamers that you have to watch out for, they're more obnoxious and bathe far less than the anime otaku. Though to be fair, they usually stay in one place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
This will only be embarassing to me if I know the person dressed like that at Otakon this year. Otherwise I will attempt to ignore them, should I actually see one.

Still, I wasn't sure how to laugh at this comic (don't get me wrong, it is hilarious), but should it be a "laugh out loud" type or should it be the type that kinda "evolves into soft sobbing" type? Kevin seems to think the latter, can't blame him.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:32 am Reply with quote
Community? Nah, forget that. Just because I might enjoy pizza doesn't mean I have to like or even tolerate the existence of a fat slob going "Mm, I love pizza. I love Italy, period! The Pope. ACORDIANS-gamesh! Ah, the mafia! Hurf durf."

I downright loathe most kawaii-desu-ne fans because they're idiots, and should be hated. I go to cons, and I feel that their actions are usually expected, if not celebrated; it's a serious drag to the whole experience.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
As soon as I saw the paddle I wanted to save Kevin while yelling "NOOOO" in slow-motion. And it's fine if people want to where something but make sure it goes together. The girl probably bought a bunch of stuff in the dealer's room, which is fine, but where one thing at a time. Cons are multiple days, so you can change several times.
The_Libertarian_Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:52 am Reply with quote
Fox tails and cat ears? The cat ears might be one thing, but with the tails, it sounds like it might not be too far off from people wearing full-blown fursuits with conveniently placed flaps to anime conventions. (Do people at cons REALLY run around with those yaoi paddles and act like weeaboos?)
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:54 am Reply with quote
Don't go for her... go for someone like me: streaked hair (not for anime... for fun), anime t-shirt, anime carrier bag and maybe cat ears or Naruto headband. My look says "I'm an anime fan... I'm crazy but sane enoguh to be funtioniung person"
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:45 am Reply with quote
Silly Kevin. A gathering of people with intolerable behaviors is not a "community", it's a social deathtrap of communication breakdown. So GET A GRIP!

A community this is not...
They are breaking down social orders while invading the anime fandom.
... Not community!
Laughing
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:13 am Reply with quote
if this is supposed to be a wise crack (no pun intended to Kevin's injury) about what some con goers are like then I'm really glad I can't afford to go to any cons, I'd go postal on someones ass if they whacked me without warning or reason
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:15 am Reply with quote
I've forgotten how terrifying the big cons are ._.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:46 am Reply with quote
Reason why Yaoi Paddles (or any paddles) have been banned from Anime Expo. They're just asking to be swung.

Also...where's our candy-crapping mascot?

Last edited by Asrialys on Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:47 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Reason why Yaoi Paddles (or any paddles) have been banned from Anime Expo. They're just asking to be swung.

Wait a second, what year did they ban them?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:48 am Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
(Do people at cons REALLY run around with those yaoi paddles and act like weeaboos?)
Sadly, Robin wouldn't have drawn this if there weren't some basis in reality. But that being said...
DomFortress wrote:
Silly Kevin. A gathering of people with intolerable behaviors is not a "community", it's a social deathtrap of communication breakdown. So GET A GRIP!

They are breaking down social orders while invading the anime fandom.
... Not community!
Laughing
Still, I'd say a good 90-95% of the behavior at anime cons is not "intolerable." It may be weird from the perspective of normals, but it's all in good fun.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:51 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I've been to cons a few times, but only saw a few people as bad as that. It's the hardcore video gamers that you have to watch out for, they're more obnoxious and bathe far less than the anime otaku. Though to be fair, they usually stay in one place.

Well, if you spend a couple hours on Dance Dance Revolution, you are going to smell pretty ripe, even if you bathed in the morning.
atlanime

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote
Is that supposed to be a girl?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:29 am Reply with quote
rogue_gamecube wrote:
SEMEN COLONY!

Nope, you didn't get it correctly, although for those who can't read Japanese it could be a (barely) reasonable pun.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9