• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2009-04-22

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Delement

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote
raidou wrote:
yaoi paddles,random assaults,and bondage Shocked
i haven't even been to my first con yet and it seems preety wild;
i guess it's better to go into war with some knowledge on the terrain than to go in blindly Neutral

actually, this is one war where going into it with no knowledge can be a benefit Very Happy
ReiClone88

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:15 am Reply with quote
Hitting people in the butt with a wooden yaoi paddle in the minds of many yaoi fangirls is like sticking a piece of hard wood into the dude like in their wildest fantasies.
Disgusting, one of the many good reasons I loathe yaoi fangirls.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:13 pm Reply with quote
When I'm attracted to men (or anybody), I don't imagine me causing them agonizing pain by sticking something unlubed and splintery and rough into their asses without asking first... I cannot understand the mentality of someone who would want that, though I don't think it's any worse than the kind of misogynistic fantasies that many straight men entertain (don't get me started...)

The thing with the Japanese, saying desu is more a way of referencing Rozen Maiden that a regular incorporation into speech. When I say desu (which I mostly say to myself, in fact I've never really said it to anyone else) then I'm pretending to be Suiseseki, much as I would adopt anyone's speech patterns when pretending to be them, it's referential. I would like to learn Japanese properly, and I don't think I'm awesome or whatever for knowing a few random words, I just don't have the time to learn the language properly at the moment (or any language that I don't have spoken around me constantly and already know well, basically all I can manage at the moment is to learn more English words), I don't use the language in a gimmicky manner, just because it's one more means of saying stuff, incomplete though it may be, when I'm talking to myself, I am not under the delusion that I'm oh so amazing and some kind of genius for happening to know a few words in another language. Also, if I were going to learn a second language, I'd have to go with Spanish, in the interests of maximising practical application (I already took Spanish at high school, and I was good at it, though my memory is pretty hazy now due to not having practiced for a long time).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:22 pm Reply with quote
The_Libertarian_Otaku wrote:
Fox tails and cat ears? The cat ears might be one thing, but with the tails, it sounds like it might not be too far off from people wearing full-blown fursuits with conveniently placed flaps to anime conventions. (Do people at cons REALLY run around with those yaoi paddles and act like weeaboos?)

Actually it's not quite uncommon. That tail fad is getting more popular. It's not a furry thing as you were putting it mildly.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote
ReiClone88 wrote:
Hitting people in the butt with a wooden yaoi paddle in the minds of many yaoi fangirls is like sticking a piece of hard wood into the dude like in their wildest fantasies.

Wow that is truly disgusting. Why anyone would actually willingly do that is beyond me. People have become too violent and vicious now and days.

But at least not ever yaoi fangirl is like this. I've learned that generalzing does nothing but worsen the sitution. I am just surprized that Anime convention allowed this for so many years.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
ReiClone88 wrote:

Wow that is truly disgusting. Why anyone would actually willingly do that is beyond me. People have become too violent and vicious now and days.

But at least not ever yaoi fangirl is like this. I've learned that generalzing does nothing but worsen the sitution. I am just surprized that Anime convention allowed this for so many years.

Indeed, many yaoi fangirls just want to watch guys they think are hot having sex/kissing, which may raise some questions about the turning of gay sexuality into a fantasy for the straight, but is nowhere near as full of wrong as the aforemention yaoi paddle related nonsense. And some yaoi fangirls are in it as much to get the chance to see men being tender and intimate in relationships instead of dominating as for any other reason, if not more so (not that guys in straight relationships are dominating as a matter of course, just that really good boys love is as good a venue for masculinity deconstruction as any other).
For-Chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:04 pm Reply with quote
ReiClone88 wrote:

What in the world are you talking about? You claim to loathe yaoi fangirls, and yet you know what's going on in their minds? You need to stop making up disgusting ridiculous crap.

The enjoyment of yaoi is harmless fantasy at most. While it's true that some fans are immature and thoughtless, that doesn't mean you should make such outrageous accusations.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
For-Chan wrote:
What in the world are you talking about? You claim to loathe yaoi fangirls, and yet you know what's going on in their minds? You need to stop making up disgusting ridiculous crap.

That's not contradictory. Knowing how someone thinks can lead to loathing them.

Quote:
The enjoyment of yaoi is harmless fantasy at most.

Until they paddle you on the ass without your consent, no? Then it's sexual harassment.
rockman nes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote
You know, I've been a fan of this medium ever since I was a young child... And I will never, ever get this fandom. Sometimes, I read the various horror stories at cons, and I honestly get ashamed at being associated with the same fandom as people like the character in the comic. I've never been to a con before, but if I have to worry about that then maybe it isn't my cup of tea.

Anime, I like you so much but your fans creep me the f**k out sometimes. Confused
For-Chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
For-Chan wrote:

That's not contradictory. Knowing how someone thinks can lead to loathing them.

I didn't say it was contradictory. I merely find it ironic that they hold so much loathing for yaoi fangirls and yet are so intimate with their supposed desires.

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Quote:
The enjoyment of yaoi is harmless fantasy at most.

Until they paddle you on the ass without your consent, no? Then it's sexual harassment.

Yes, because every yaoi fan owns a paddle and they all hit people indiscriminately. There's far too many generalizations flying around in this thread. That's like saying all Naruto fans own kunais and run around cons stabbing people with them. It's stupid to make that assumption. There are extremes in every genre and the comic is showing one extreme stereotype (a few really, it's quite the jumble there) for humor purposes, not to point out how stupid yaoi fangirls are.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:34 pm Reply with quote
These little Anine News Nina things always crack me up.
blueharlequin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
ReiClone88 wrote:

Um, No. I'm a yaoi fan girl and that sounds particularly disgusting. I don't own a yaoi paddle. I will NEVER own a yaoi paddle. I think it is the "spanking" aspect that appeals in this case. I could be wrong. Any other yaoi fans want to speculate?
Aux10

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:35 pm Reply with quote
The problem with most things is that you only hear about the part that makes the greatest impact. Take the yaoi fangirls for example. The whole paddle smacking and extreme fantasy thing makes a much more profound impact on people than a barely noticeable simple fan sitting around reading a manga. Since we hear so much about the bad and none of the good most people will come to believe that all yaoi fangirls are the same even if the opinion gets based on the minority.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, people...if this type of stuff legitimately happens to you at a con, immediately call the police. Let's see if these little s***s continue their insanity after they start getting written up for assault/harassment.
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:38 am Reply with quote
Aux10 wrote:
The problem with most things is that you only hear about the part that makes the greatest impact. Take the yaoi fangirls for example. The whole paddle smacking and extreme fantasy thing makes a much more profound impact on people than a barely noticeable simple fan sitting around reading a manga. Since we hear so much about the bad and none of the good most people will come to believe that all yaoi fangirls are the same even if the opinion gets based on the minority.

That is a really good point, and to further it, for those of you who have never been to an anime convention you shouldn't not go to one just based on this week's strip or the conversation it created. In all honesty, just like with any other group of people 80-90% of con goers are perfectly fine, decent folks. It's the 10-20% who misbehave that get an undo amount of the attention.

I can't speak for any other anime convention out there, but Sakuracon really is a lot of fun. It's great to see the costumes and people watch in genera. Yes, there are bad apples, but they don't spoil the bushel, as it were. If you haven't ever been to an anime con and get the chance to go, you definitely should. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9