• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment to Discontinue Home Video, Manga, Novel Sales (Updated)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:05 am Reply with quote
StormSky92 wrote:
I'm glad there was some notice about this. Time to finally get around to grabbing up the last BE things I wanted.

Same. This is very sad news.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:31 am Reply with quote
Cyan Bloodbane wrote:
Maybe I should run a company.
Yeah! Give it to everyone for free. You would be rolling in it with a concept like that. Hell it worked for Crunchyroll! Laughing

I've purchased everything I thought was worth it long time ago from Bandai, everything else was only rent worthy and not worth a re-watch so meh to those. Look at it this way; I don't believe Bandai wants to leave the US and western market completely. They know there's still money there worth going for, just not with infrastructure owned by them. Stay tuned, this isn't the end of it. Wink
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
Sad to see them go. Sad Their first Cowboy Bebop and Gundam releases got me into buying anime on DVD.
Ryvius213

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:18 am Reply with quote
It's sad to watch them go, because Bandai Entertainment really made a lot of smart licenses and worked really hard to make anime affordable. They brought me some of my favorites such as Infinite Ryvius, Planetes, and Eureka Seven. Farewell, Bandai, it's been a good run.
BigKwell

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
vashthekaizoku wrote:
Guess I need to grab those Haruhi Suzumiya season sets while I still can...

That is... until FUNimation does some title rescues!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I haven't checked on the franchise, but I figure I ought to get GiTS while I can, such the worthwhile series it is. Anybody able to give a few tips as to where I may find it off-hand? (TRSI being a given.)
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
The best way to support anime is to import, since the actual creators get the money, not just the middle man. You also have more say in what gets created since they see that money.

Honestly between Japan and the middle man...I;d rather give my support to the middle man. The international market is realistically never going to have much of a say in what gets made anyway so personally I'd rather support the market that at least kinda cares about us as opposed to the one who could for the most part keep strolling if the international market suddenly died tommorow.

Now we're just acting like those old guys at the flea market!

Quote:
Getting back on topic though...well anyway it's kind of a shame it's come to this. I;d say let's hope the void will get filled soon enough, but I kinda doubt'll happen...

Just like my job opportunities.

Cyan Bloodbane wrote:
Forced obsolescence.

That's all it is. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
There are better, more practical, and faster ways to deliver your product to the consumer.

I'll never understand anime companies reluctance to embrace technology instead of drag their feet around it. Many of the problems could have been easily solved back as early as the start of the 2000's.

Who knows, typically some people just rather put it away til later than now.

Quote:
An example is the Tiger & Bunny premiering same day on Hulu as it was airing in Japan, but with subs for western viewers. It got ratings, which gave advertising dollars.

I still don't understand how advertising works (but then, I block it all on my end anyway).

Quote:
I myself am a watcher of fansubs. Mostly shows that will never make it stateside.

I watch stuff in the raw.

Quote:
But on the other hand...I'm not really the type who needs to rewatch shows a lot. I don't usually buy DVD's of tv shows, usually just merchandise.

A lot of people in Japan are just like me. They enjoyed watching a show on television well enough, but never really felt the urge to pick up a home copy.

Well some bother recording it on tape anyway.

Quote:
This is because in Japan, you have to pay for cable like we do here, and anime is on tv with paid advertisements.

Like we haven't had that in America for the past 60 years (even more if you go back to radio).

Some are still on regular terrestrial FREE TV that can be picked up with an antenna of all sorts (at least that's how a few of my pals have done it, and more should learn that). Japan really didn't pick up to cable as much as they have for "BS" (Broadcast Satellite) systems.

Quote:
Anime fans over here also caught on. Sometimes we just want to watch a show with no commitments, or end up not liking a show and dropping it. US anime companies would want us to buy tapes and dvds, only to find out "after" that we didn't like a show well enough to buy it.

See how splintered we've become?

Quote:
That is why people like fansubs and downloading shows. It lets us:

A: Stay on the pulse of the most modern shows, sometimes only hours after it airs in Japan.
B: Allows us the same luxury as Japanese fans, being able to watch a show fully without having to make a purchase, outside of giving our time up and commercial viewing.

I don't know exactly how to put this....but the anime industry in the US is unsustainable in it's current form. Heck, hardly anyone offers digital manga straight to your cell phone. I just don't get it.

I don't like watching things on phones.

Quote:
Maybe I should run a company.

Usually the last resort. Razz
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I own cowboy bebop and other titles!

there are a few I would have liked to pick up but!

well still seeking!

will miss this company!
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:21 pm Reply with quote
SH1T, so this means no more Code Geass manga or Lucky Star manga. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I'd better pick up season 2 of Haruhi, the movie, and Haruhi-chan while I still can. There goes my money, wave goodbye to it. Crying or Very sad
Kakugo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Cyan Bloodbane wrote:
This is because in Japan, you have to pay for cable like we do here, and anime is on tv with paid advertisements.

Yeah, that's... not how it works. The producers behind the anime itself buy the air time, the same way that Ronco and The NuWave Oven producers buy Infomercial time in the states. The broadcast of any "Late Nite" show is there to get people to pay for the inevitable Blu-ray and character merchandise, not actually earn a profit.

Obviously there are exceptions - popular family shows One Piece, Pokemon and Detective Conan are broadcast do make money with ad revenue - but the majority of titles produced in the last several years are spending money to be shown on TV, not actually making any.

Goodbye, Bandai Entertainment. We'll miss you.
kanjineogeo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm popularly sure there will be cheap complete unofficial anime dvds titles that Bandai licensed like in the future after they discontinue. I found some on google shop. Just google some bandai titles and you will find some. You can also find expired anime titles like Higurashi. Here the example: [EDIT: Link removed because the item linked to is a pretty clear bootleg. - Key] (Yes some or most items you need to have paypal to purchase) They are region free.

Last edited by kanjineogeo on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
kanjineogeo wrote:
I'm popularly sure there will be cheap complete unofficial anime dvds titles that bandai Licensed like in the future after they discontinue. I found some on google shop. Just google some bandai titles and you will find some. They are region free.

Those would almost surely be bootlegs, which tend to be frowned upon hereabouts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Crap, I have hardly anything I want from Bandai currently as I've had a lack of funds.

Well those Bandai titles I want just shot up at the top of my priority list. Some haven't really as I can import them from Japan on Blu-ray with English subs and/or the dub (Mai-Hime, Gundam Seed, Haruhi, Big O to name a few).

This is what I feel is guaranteed to get rescued (And we may get BD's finally):
-Code Geass
-Haruhi
-K-On! (Sentai has season 2 so...)
-Cowboy Bebop (Duh)
-Outlaw Star
-Eureka Seven (As FUNi got AO)
-Gurren Lagann
(And I may have forgotten a few titles)

We already saw Akira get rescued, and Manga Entertainment IIRC has the home video rights to Ghost in the Shell, so we may see Blu-rays sometime in the near future.

Everything else is pretty much up in the air, including Gundam (I heard Wing was like the only one that did well). I wonder if we'll see FUNimation try getting Escaflowne. It was one of Bandai's top-sellers, but the popularity isn't as big. I don't hear people talking about that show much anymore.

On a side-note, I wonder how many of these shows that are going OOP are still licensed in Australia and the UK, meaning once they go OOP, importing from the UK or Australia will be the cheapest option (Of course you'll first need a region-free DVD player). That's how it is with like .hack//Legend of the Twilight for example.
http://www.amazon.com/hack-Legend-Twilight-Complete-Collection/dp/B000G73USG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1346543778&sr=8-2&keywords=.hack+twilight
http://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/view/11948/-hack-legend-of-the-twilight-collection-slimpack
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Kakugo wrote:
Yeah, that's... not how it works. The producers behind the anime itself buy the air time, the same way that Ronco and The NuWave Oven producers buy Infomercial time in the states. The broadcast of any "Late Nite" show is there to get people to pay for the inevitable Blu-ray and character merchandise, not actually earn a profit.

Obviously there are exceptions - popular family shows One Piece, Pokemon and Detective Conan are broadcast do make money with ad revenue - but the majority of titles produced in the last several years are spending money to be shown on TV, not actually making any.

Yep, watching Conan you see adverts/sponsers for types of milk brands, snack foods, McDonalds, and stuff.

Then you watch the late-night stuff and the only real ads are the ones who make the home video releases (like Aniplex) and the companies that the singers of the OP/ED work for (Sony Music Japan) You don't see McDonalds or snack food brands being advertised on those shows usually.
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Kakugo wrote:
Cyan Bloodbane wrote:

Most people need to be reminded of that.

Quote:

The stuff that usually gets aired during the daytime and regular family hours would fall under that category.

Quote:
Goodbye, Bandai Entertainment. We'll miss you.

Not me.

TitanXL wrote:
Yep, watching Conan you see adverts/sponsers for types of milk brands, snack foods, McDonalds, and stuff.

Usually these shows would often have a sponsor tag of sorts at the start after the opening (and again at the end) showing those logos of the companies whose ads are presented. This is similar to how American TV would go "This [insert show title here] is brought to you by..." statements, though I don't suppose it's done quite as often nowadays. These programs certain generate ad revenue for the channels that perhaps paid for the shows initially (or collaborated on).

Quote:
Then you watch the late-night stuff and the only real ads are the ones who make the home video releases (like Aniplex) and the companies that the singers of the OP/ED work for (Sony Music Japan) You don't see McDonalds or snack food brands being advertised on those shows usually.

It's far more centered on a specific demographic that would be watching those shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9