• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/Zero

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I don't expect too many responses in this thread as history tells us that this forum is infinitely slow in terms of traffic. However, I would like to have a discussion (if possible) about another part of a favored franchise: Fate/Zero. This is the prequel to the game (and anime I guess) written by a different author following Emiya Kirtsugu and the holy grail war prior to the one Emiya Shriou was involved with.

I've read the first novel (fan translated) and I have to say it's quite rewarding. It feels like a slightly different style, but I feel that this guy is faithful to the original completely in terms of character and history. He's introduced some interesting, new characters without any mention in the original.

I'd really like to know if anyone can make an educated guess as to whether or not this series will ever make it to the R1 region. I'm doubtful since the F/S N doesn't seem HUGE over here (unlike it is in Japan), but the F/S N franchise seems to have a decent fan base outside of Japan. Thoughts and comments are appreciated.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:19 am Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
I'd really like to know if anyone can make an educated guess as to whether or not this series will ever make it to the R1 region. I'm doubtful since the F/S N doesn't seem HUGE over here (unlike it is in Japan), but the F/S N franchise seems to have a decent fan base outside of Japan. Thoughts and comments are appreciated.

There is small chance. Fate/Zero could be translated after Fate/Stay Night (game) receives an official translation, possibility of that happening is not zero, because many eroge companies have recently shown interest in releasing their games in english (Nitroplus (Fate/Zero's writer Gen Urobuchi is best known for the games he has created for Nitroplus) with close ties to TYPE-MOON being one of them). Or if the book receives an anime adaption. Without one of these happening the chances are very small considering that the book requires the reader to have played/read FSN (especially Heaven's Feel).

Fate/Zero is one of the best books I have read. Combination of Kinoko Nasu's detailed world and Gen Urobuchi's writing talent works really well. Best part is the cast being composed mainly of cool old dudes rather than women and children like in FSN.

Those who enjoyed Fate/Zero should play/read other stuff from Gen Urobuchi (Saya no Uta and Phantom of Inferno have been translated).
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the reply, Blue. That's good news to hear for us English speakers who enjoy the Fate franchise, but I'm not holding my breath on this one.

I must say though if they do ever release F/S N the original game they better adjust that retail price...geez it costs in the upwards of 80-90 dollars in yen right now.
BillyMorshu

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:59 am Reply with quote
I know I'm bumping an old topic, but I wanted to talk about this...

I've been looking around for an English-translated version of Fate/Zero for a while, but I've been unable to find it.

I really enjoyed Fate/Stay Night, and I actually finished Heaven's Feel yesterday because I never got to finishing it before I had to get a system restore a long time ago. I'm glad I decided to finish it because I thought it was great, although Unlimited Blade Works is my favorite of the 3.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I also wrapped up the first novel.

I really gotta admin - Fate/stay night showed Kiritsugu in a very sort of positive light. Like the big martyr of the story. In truth, he was...well. An asshole, to put it lightly. The shining example of the callous, sociopathic hero who wouldn't bat an eye sniping down civilians.

That said, I'd really like to see this animated in one form or another. With Unlimited Blade Works out, there's maybe hope for this as well.

Besides...there's really not enough shows out there with truly morally ambiguous heroes. Anime hyper We need some real badasses thrown in for once...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1