• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams Phantom ~ Requiem for the Phantom Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I think it's great FUNi is doing this show already! I figured it would be a year or two or maybe go to ADV if they ever get on the rebound.

So who want's to pool Monica Rial will play Ein when they begin dubbing this series? Razz Kirika=Ein, kidding of course but they are designed quite a bit alike (Kikuchi being the designer and Mashimo directing it's no surprise)
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Would Funi ever consider offering 720p HD versions for shows produced (and airing) in HD?
This applies to current shows like FMA:B, Phantom - Requiem, and other shows Funi's released (Darker than Black, Juuousei, etc).
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Would Funi ever consider offering 720p HD versions for shows produced (and airing) in HD?
This applies to current shows like FMA:B, Phantom - Requiem, and other shows Funi's released (Darker than Black, Juuousei, etc).

I'm sure that eventually everything that's released will be released in Blu-ray, so we'll get HD then. As for streams, I don't think that there's much incentive for them to release HD streams at this point.

1. They probably don't want to release full quality streams online. They want people to buy the DVDs after all.
2. Even full DVD quality streams would strain their servers that much more. Going HD would be far worse. That's a lot of data to be streaming.
3. Your typical internet connection can't really handle streaming HD. It would be buffering for an eternity before you'd get to watch anything. We really need fiber to be the norm before HD streaming can become generally viable.
4. Many computers can't handle playing HD content at this point. Sure, newer ones can, but there are still quite a few computers which can't. In a few years time, it won't be an issue anymore, but it is for now.

Now, buying HD videos for download might be a bit different, but they're not likely to do that until they're releasing those same shows in Blu-ray since it could be a fair amount of extra work to produce the HD video on top of the DVD quality video and they're not likely to put that effort in unless they already have to for Blu-ray releases.

Regardless, personally, I don't see much value in download-to-own since all that sort of stuff typically has DRM in it. If they were selling h264 mkv releases, that might be different, but as long as there's DRM, there's no point. And since such DRM-free releases are so easily pirated, companies are reticent to release them.

In any case, online distribution of any professional video content - anime or otherwise - is in its infancy and no one really seems to have figured out the best way to digitally distribute shows and still make money. Physical discs are still where the money is and that's likely to stay the case for some time to come.

Personally, while I applaud Funimation's efforts with digital distribution, what really interests me is seeing Blu-ray releases for shows so that I can get shows in HD on physical media. And while Funimation is definitely making progress in that area, they're not yet to the point that you can expect a Blu-ray release of any new shows anywhere near the release of the DVDs.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Jarmel wrote:
If Phantom can be subbed before it's released in Japan, why does it take MULTIPLE days to sub FMA?
One Japanese company is giving them the materials to work with faster than the other? Just a thought.

Or, more likely, its just what the contract requires them to do. Fansubs can release it as soon as they are done; legit companies have contractual obligations and sometimes waiting until a certain amount of time after the Japanese airing may be one of them.
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:11 pm Reply with quote
joystick1101 wrote:
Funimation should put this and FMA 2 on Hulu, joost and their youtube account as well as their video portal, like with shikabane hime, so that there's less stress on the server so the video loads better. If the current number of viewers is divided like that we could all get an even better viewing experience. It took me an hour just to watch FMA because of load time, an hour wtf?

No, FUNimation needs to switch to a h.264 based Flash player to drop the file size down to lighten load. FUNi's current system could handle it fine if the files weren't 200mb each. (Also, their server was reinforced enough since episode 1 that the videos download at a good rate even during the peak times.)
Chirico`Cuvie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
Personally, while I applaud Funimation's efforts with digital distribution, what really interests me is seeing Blu-ray releases for shows so that I can get shows in HD on physical media.

Considering how poorly all but the most popular anime sells and the current cost of producing Blu-ray discs, it's pretty easy to see why very few titles are released within the R1 region on Blu-ray. It's kind of sad because it's another justification in the fansubber's belt, but I'd bet that the current R1 anime market can't support Blu-ray releases yet, even for series that are produced in real HD and have BD releases in Japan.

On a different note, it's awesome that Funi had their stream up before the show actually aired in Japan. If that's going to be the trend - even if it's just for this series - it's a big step in the right direction.
DFBTG

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't a the biggest fan of Noir, and Madlax bored the hell out me, but those were a few years ago, and I had no idea what I was getting myself into, so maybe I'll actually enjoy this with those two problems out of the way. Seems good, but very few slow paced (which, this seems to be) shows have grabbed and held my attention. Now if only Funimation can grab Eden of the East. With that, all this season's series that I'm genuinely interested in (and know of) will be streaming for free and legally. Regardless, I do thank you, Funimation.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:10 am Reply with quote
DFBTG wrote:
I wasn't a the biggest fan of Noir, and Madlax bored the hell out me, but those were a few years ago, and I had no idea what I was getting myself into, so maybe I'll actually enjoy this with those two problems out of the way. Seems good, but very few slow paced (which, this seems to be) shows have grabbed and held my attention. Now if only Funimation can grab Eden of the East. With that, all this season's series that I'm genuinely interested in (and know of) will be streaming for free and legally. Regardless, I do thank you, Funimation.

I can't speak for you, but I wasn't a big fan of Noir either and I'm liking Phantom a lot, although with the obvious benefit (and handicap) of being familiar with the source material.

A slow pacing is good for me as long as something interesting is happening and, without spoiling anything in particular, I think there will be a number of very interesting developments coming up and even a few twists, since by all indications the show looks like it's going to adapt the game's entire time line and only has a set number of episodes to do so. Cuts will surely be made, but I expect the result to be comprehensive enough to keep things moving with only limited downtime.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:04 am Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:

I'm sure that eventually everything that's released will be released in Blu-ray, so we'll get HD then. As for streams, I don't think that there's much incentive for them to release HD streams at this point.

Like Chirico`Cuvie said, the anime BD market here is very very small unlike Japan.. and it doesn't seem to growing that much either so I would not expect much at all in BD at this point. Even so, you'd still be waiting a long time from the date of airing since the Japanese rights holders like to impose a delay between R2 and R1 disc releases. I guess from fears of reverse importation?

Quote:

1. They probably don't want to release full quality streams online. They want people to buy the DVDs after all.

probably

Quote:

2. Even full DVD quality streams would strain their servers that much more. Going HD would be far worse. That's a lot of data to be streaming.
3. Your typical internet connection can't really handle streaming HD. It would be buffering for an eternity before you'd get to watch anything. We really need fiber to be the norm before HD streaming can become generally viable.

no offense, but I must lol at this exaggeration. (see also bayoab's post)

Quote:

4. Many computers can't handle playing HD content at this point. Sure, newer ones can, but there are still quite a few computers which can't. In a few years time, it won't be an issue anymore, but it is for now.

trust me, 720p can be played back just fine on relatively old machines. I'll give you that 1080p is problematic though.

Quote:

Now, buying HD videos for download might be a bit different, but they're not likely to do that until they're releasing those same shows in Blu-ray since it could be a fair amount of extra work to produce the HD video on top of the DVD quality video and they're not likely to put that effort in unless they already have to for Blu-ray releases.

Regardless, personally, I don't see much value in download-to-own since all that sort of stuff typically has DRM in it. If they were selling h264 mkv releases, that might be different, but as long as there's DRM, there's no point. And since such DRM-free releases are so easily pirated, companies are reticent to release them.

I agree on the DRM DTO crap. Surprisingly, Crunchyrolls's DTO are DRM free. But companies need to realize that the DRM doesn't really work in preventing piracy or more to the point: forcing people to buy. Rather, it has the opposite effect. If you look at the music industry, it's all moving towards being DRM-free now.

Quote:

In any case, online distribution of any professional video content - anime or otherwise - is in its infancy and no one really seems to have figured out the best way to digitally distribute shows and still make money. Physical discs are still where the money is and that's likely to stay the case for some time to come.

Perhaps physical discs are where the money's at on a per-viewer basis, but I think they're finding that people are not willing to spend that much, even without piracy. Hence the shift towards cheaper box sets.
babbo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:35 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

trust me, 720p can be played back just fine on relatively old machines. I'll give you that 1080p is problematic though.
Define relatively old. Even fansubbers still release lower resolution files because people still whine and moan about their computers not being able to play 720p. I think you underestimate just how many people are using realy old computers <.<
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:55 am Reply with quote
Wait...did I really read that right?!? FUNimation actually streamed an anime episode BEFORE the Japanese TV premiere! That's just crazy awesome! Be taking notes, VIZ and InuYasha...
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:20 am Reply with quote
LagannImpact wrote:
Wait...did I really read that right?!? FUNimation actually streamed an anime episode BEFORE the Japanese TV premiere! That's just crazy awesome! Be taking notes, VIZ and InuYasha...
It was a mistake on their part. Japan is likely going to be a little miffed about this. It will probably be a Friday upload in the future.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:22 am Reply with quote
babbo wrote:
Define relatively old. Even fansubbers still release lower resolution files because people still whine and moan about their computers not being able to play 720p. I think you underestimate just how many people are using realy old computers <.<

I mean Pentium 4 northwood old.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:52 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Hey Lance! Why no love for the UK and Europe? We want to buy FUNimation and Japanese things too.

Though it's certainly unfortunate for the mainland, I think we're already getting quite a bit of love in the form of the Funi video vault. I expect Revelation would need to pick up the pace for things to improve on the DVD front.
What video vault? With two UK distributors to do FUNi's bidding, I expect tons of FUNi titles available here. Sadly that is far, far from the case. Rolling Eyes
lee3319

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't considering giving this show ago when I read the spring guide reviews however since funi are streaming it, I will give it ago.

I'm also suprised because I thought you could only watch it from the US however you don't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6