• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit Novel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:13 am Reply with quote
Wow! I just checked this out from my local library (hardcover version) but haven't yet had the chance to read it. Now I think I need to get on that. I didn't realize the anime changed that much and was just waiting for the sequels, but from this review I obviously need to read the first.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:34 am Reply with quote
I've been waiting to see this review for a while. I found this to be a great book, and thought it doesn't stand up to the anime (of which I sincerely hope there is a sequel), it is good in its own right.

One of the things I liked better about the book was spoiler[the way they handled Balsa's count of 8 lives saved. In the anime, she states that Chagum is her 8th life saved, which I found cliche. In the book, she never specifies which Chagum is, only that she has had to kill in order to save, so the count became meaningless. She decided she wasn't counting anymore; she was just living. Chagum's relationship to her, reminiscent of Jiguro's relationship to Balsa, helped her to see that it wasn't a game of numbers, which freed her spirit. That scene also made her increased feelings for Tanda more believable.]

I should also note that Gangan comics released a 3-volume manga series that stays very close to the book. That means that even if you can't read the Japanese, it might be worth importing anyway, since it basically serves as a visual companion to the novel.

One more note: the original hardcover version of this book is printed in all-blue ink instead of black. This was to reflect that the story is all about water. It also convinced me that Scholastic was the perfect company to release this, since they are treating it with the respect it deserves.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I saw this in my university's bookstore about a month ago. I was happy that Moribito got a novel release, especially since I had so much withdrawal from the anime's sudden stop on AS.
Shattered Ishida

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:20 am Reply with quote
I thoroughly enjoyed (what I say of it at least) what I saw of Moribito on AS. I liked it so much I plan on getting the whole series. I think I'll add this book to my collection as well. Sounds like it's going to be a good read and good companion to the anime.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:13 am Reply with quote
So, I was just checking Amazon and Amazon JP, and it looks like the second book is already out. Amazon JP had 4 in stock (3 as of now Very Happy). Isn't that a little early?
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote
I really liked the book, and it's good to know how it's different from the anime in some key ways (as far as what makes each one of them good).

Maybe I'll be tempted to go watch the anime now...wasn't all that thrilled the first time I tried.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
So, I was just checking Amazon and Amazon JP, and it looks like the second book is already out. Amazon JP had 4 in stock (3 as of now :D). Isn't that a little early?

On Tuesday night, after reading the review of the first book and seeing the second book get mentioned, I went to Amazon (US) and ordered the new volume. I'm not recalling having previously seen mention of the release date for "Guardian of the Darkness", so I was somewhat surprised. The book arrived today. Yay! I'll get around to reading it at some point during the next few days. ^_^
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
BleuVII wrote:
So, I was just checking Amazon and Amazon JP, and it looks like the second book is already out. Amazon JP had 4 in stock (3 as of now Very Happy). Isn't that a little early?

On Tuesday night, after reading the review of the first book and seeing the second book get mentioned, I went to Amazon (US) and ordered the new volume. I'm not recalling having previously seen mention of the release date for "Guardian of the Darkness", so I was somewhat surprised. The book arrived today. Yay! I'll get around to reading it at some point during the next few days. Anime smile

I thought I remembered hearing "May" as the release date. But I'm not complaining.
sashaisme

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I recently bought this at my school book fair...

I read some of it to my sister, she couldn't care less about it!
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Sweet, I'm thinking of getting this now then I'll watch the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1