• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-04-24]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Another issue is that Japan's top music publishers are quite the luddites; despite iTunes' tremendous success in Japan, it was a long time coming as far as getting the major labels to to sign up. One of them in particular still hasn't, as a matter of fact, in the hopes that their own proprietary music service takes off. Which it won't. Cough hack Sony. Cough. Also, CD sales in Japan are far from dead dinosaur, much unlike the rest of the world, where making physical copies of your music is akin to tossing money into Niagra Falls.

Eh, I don't particularly consider myself a luddite, but I still prefer (and only buy) all my music in a physical format (which mainly still means CD, with the occasional vinyl record).

I don't even own an iPod or other comparable media player, and I'm in no rush to get one as the tangibility of my media is an important quality to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
Dahling wrote:

Anyways I was a little surprised at the shounen guy... I think YYH is pretty great, and what of seen of D Gray-Man is pretty awesome too, though Allen is NOT a normal shounen hero. And Rurouni Kenshin is fantastic (is tedious after a while...) but I was a little surprised to see Hikaru no Go and Shaman King up there as gems, especially with their endings....

[edit:] That didn't come out right, I love HnG and SK-- but I've never seen someone think they were good enough to be called masterpieces or anything. Anime smile;;

I dunno; I've never really liked the shounen genre, and yet Shaman King is pretty much my favorite anime ever. I consider it a gem even outside the realm of shounen - it knows what it's about and doesn't try to be anything more, and overall it just exudes cuteness, fun, and sheer energy. I also respect the fact that even though it was adapted from a frickin' long manga series, there are only about five episodes in the whole anime that can truly be considered filler. While I wouldn't put it on the same level as a lot of more mature anime that are called masterpieces, I can't help but call it one myself just because I can't think of a single thing that could have been better about it. Except the animation quality, but even that has sort of a retro, dropped-frames charm to it.

Then again, I'm like the only person on the face of the planet who actually thought the ending was well executed, so maybe that has something to do with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But of course, if you brought those two titles up to the sorts of hand-wringing naval-gazing indie-comic-reading hipsters who practically flagellate themselves on the altar of Alan Moore and Art Spiegelmen, you'll likely get blank stares and confused looks of denigration.

Quote:
So, sorry. Unless you live in Japan and hang out at some of the crazier independently owned manga shops around Tokyo, you're unlikely to see the kind of experimental manga that'll make those godforsaken bicycle-riding, Bright Eyes-listening hipster rejects think you're cool.

This is a little lame. Firstly, lets keep in mind that there's nothing wrong with being into extremely experimental works, even exclusively. It only becomes stupid if you're only doing it because you think it makes you cool or hip or whatever. More importantly though, okay, he hasn't found as much experimentation in manga. Maybe that's a little misguided but for starters, there's perhaps a legitimate reason for that as you mentioned. And regardless, it's his opinion and he's entitled to it. I hardly think it's so outlandish that you need to insinuate he must be some sort of elitist hipster to think so. I'm no longer coming to see your play Brian. Crying or Very sad
Nightshrill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:00 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Quote:
Another issue is that Japan's top music publishers are quite the luddites; despite iTunes' tremendous success in Japan, it was a long time coming as far as getting the major labels to to sign up. One of them in particular still hasn't, as a matter of fact, in the hopes that their own proprietary music service takes off. Which it won't. Cough hack Sony. Cough. Also, CD sales in Japan are far from dead dinosaur, much unlike the rest of the world, where making physical copies of your music is akin to tossing money into Niagra Falls.

Eh, I don't particularly consider myself a luddite, but I still prefer (and only buy) all my music in a physical format (which mainly still means CD, with the occasional vinyl record).

I don't even own an iPod or other comparable media player, and I'm in no rush to get one as the tangibility of my media is an important quality to me.

I'm with you on the tangibility of my music, I'm a DJ and audiophile so everything I get is to be put on cd anyway. I own an iPod and have it halfway filled (its the 160gb) and although I don't rip @ lossless audio I really didn't like iTunes until recently when they were selling most music @ 128kbps. Even then there is the factor that if you don't make insanely good backups or other factors you stand a chance to have something happen to the files and potentially lose them, I'll pay the extra 5 dollars for a physical medium that is lossless and I can't lose to viruses.

However on the question of Brian's response to the Japan iTunes question there is something I wanted to point out and that is iTunes blocks you from buying music on any other country's portal unless you have a credit card w/its billing address in said country. I've tried to buy a few tracks from the German iTunes store and have had the same issues come up as people trying to buy from the Japan iTunes store. Although as Brian did point out it is an issue revolving around usage-rights, but it is quite annoying. Here's to importing music and amazon downloading service.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:23 am Reply with quote
In regards to the USDL, if we "behaved like a Toddler!", wouldn't that be right up their kinky alley?

Wait, there's shounen hate? Naruto hate, sure, but I've never seen contempt for shounen in general, that would be a huge chunk the anime and manga out there. I think shounen anime series have a bad tendency to run into a lot of filler (Naruto's notorious for that). And besides, "shounen" isn't really a genre, per se, it's the age-bracket of the target audience of the manga. Within shounen you've got relatively repetitive fight shows to slapstick comedies to drama and suspense series. I mean, Death Note is shounen.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:36 am Reply with quote
konkonsn wrote:
Quote:
Sure, not all of them are good (i.e. D-Gray Man or Yu Yu Hakusho) but there's others that are true gems of animation (Rurouni Kenshin, Hikaru no Go, DBZ, Slam Dunk, Shaman King) but it's just annoying.

This is why we can't have nice things. Even we shounen enthusiasts aren't going to agree on what shows are good and why. I was suckled on Yu Yu Hakusho as an anime fan, and I'll defend it's greatness until the day I die despite how crappy the animation can get or those 40-some episodes of Dark Tournament that need to die. It has great characters and great character development.

I'm in the same boat, I'm amused that he can call DBZ a "gem" (unless he's talking inspiration) as well as Bleach of all things (started off great, but after SS arc, the plummet in quality has been unbelievable, and last week's chapter was the final "jump the shark" moment for me), and bash Yu Yu Hakusho and D. Gray-man. Then again, he's apparently unaware that Soul Eater and FMA are also shonen, so..............yeah.

I wouldn't say there is a shonen hate so much as a shonen anti-bias. I've met a few people who feel that if it's a shonen than it's automatically inferior to any shojo/seinen/josei, and also is completely mindless and appeals only to those with brains of children. These people can kindly go (*edited*).
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:40 am Reply with quote
Poor sales won't destroy the industry, it's all the anime "fans" who stick to specific genres like fascists to the motherland. And everybody has a damn inferiority complex it seems.

"Why do people hate shounen?"I don't know, but seeing as you're one of them for thinking several popular shounen shows are bad, you should know. Besides, you're worried about what people think about THE MOST POPULAR genre in anime? Get OVER yourself, you ignorant hypocrite.

I myself don't burrow into a little genre hole and lob incendiary bombs at other genres. In fact, I like pretty much EVERY SINGLE GENRE: shounen/bishounen/shounen-ai/BL/yaoi, shojo/bishoujo/shoujo-ai/GL/yuri, mecha (Super Robot and Real Robot), moe, lolicon, romcom, harem (and reverse), ecchi, hentai, magical girl, steam punk, mystery, action, sports, horror, fantasy, sci-fi, etc, etc, etc.... Am I that much of a rarity? Can there be no anime fan who likes plain and simply anime in its totality?

If you get off believing shounen is unpopular or lolicon fans are pedos, or a whole host of other ridiculous, pointless assumptions made about various genres and/or their stupid fans, please keep it to yourself! I for one don't care about your pretentious opinions and neither should anyone else!*

*(As if this will happen, though. You people seem to feed on controversy. Just look at ANN's recent hate for Shigurui and general hate for moe. You can't act like doing this won't or shouldn't egg on the fanatics who defend their genres to the death.)

Last edited by Lemoncookies23 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:13 am Reply with quote
I like how the general theme of the answers was along the lines of "life sucks, deal with it." Good stuff.
OZ-13MS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sure, not all of them are good (i.e. D-Gray Man or Yu Yu Hakusho) but there's others that are true gems of animation (Rurouni Kenshin, Hikaru no Go, DBZ, Slam Dunk, Shaman King) but it's just annoying.

Come on, Hikaru no Go as a true gem? Pfft. Hikaru no Go at times appears to be like some kind of BL-Shounen hybrid anime, but I still liked it not enough for it to be considered a gem and it's overly exaggerated for a board game.

JairStout wrote:
I myself don't burrow into a little genre hole and lob incendiary bombs at other genres. In fact, I like pretty much EVERY SINGLE GENRE: shounen/bishounen/shounen-ai/BL/yaoi, shojo/bishoujo/shoujo-ai/GL/yuri, mecha (Super Robot and Real Robot), moe, lolicon, romcom, harem (and reverse), ecchi, hentai, magical girl, steam punk, mystery, action, horror, fantasy, sci-fi, etc, etc, etc.... Am I that much of a rarity? Can there be no anime fan who likes plain and simply anime in its totality?

I guess we're in the same boat, however, I have yet to sail the uncharted waters of shounen-ai. Though I've recently made an attempt to watch Junjo Romantica.
I'm really a sucker for sports theme shounen anime. Especially Hajime no Ippo, Hungry Heart Wild Striker, The Prince of Tennis, and Initial D. I find sport theme to be really fun to watch.

Quotes:

From Gundam W, Heero Yuy says to Relena Darlian:

"Remember the fate of the one who saw my face and Gundam. I will kill you."

From Yu Yu Hakusho, Hiei asks Kuwabara:

"So tell me. What's it like to live in a constant haze of stupidity?"

From Cowboy Bebop, Spike's last action:

"Bang..."

From Bleach; Turning Back the Pendulum:

spoiler[Fifth Division Lieutenant, Aizen asks: "When did you become aware of my presence?"

Fifth Division Captain, Shinji replies: "Before you even stepped out of your mama's womb."]

(I've used that last line once.)
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:18 am Reply with quote
On the about American and European experimental comics versus Japanese you have to remember that USA consists of half a continent and many popular artists are British or Canadian and Europe is also a continent and Japan just one country.

Although I liked Jimmy Corrigan I don't see how it's that groundbreaking or experimental. It uses visual symbols to convey characters thoughts and emotions instead of captioned boxes, just like a lot of manga and has a socially inept main character character, just like a lot of manga.

I my opinion manga's best strength lies in good mainstream titles that can be more than just traditional superheroes or post-modern superheroes with some exceptions. Think about if all Hollywood movies were traditional western and modern western and all the rest basically home videos (=autobiographical alternative comics).
Lemoncookies23

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:20 am Reply with quote
OZ-13MS wrote:
Quote:

Come on, Hikaru no Go as a true gem? Pfft. Hikaru no Go at times appears to be like some kind of BL-Shounen hybrid anime, but I still liked it not enough for it to be considered a gem and it's overly exaggerated for a board game.

JairStout wrote:
I myself don't burrow into a little genre hole and lob incendiary bombs at other genres. In fact, I like pretty much EVERY SINGLE GENRE: shounen/bishounen/shounen-ai/BL/yaoi, shojo/bishoujo/shoujo-ai/GL/yuri, mecha (Super Robot and Real Robot), moe, lolicon, romcom, harem (and reverse), ecchi, hentai, magical girl, steam punk, mystery, action, horror, fantasy, sci-fi, etc, etc, etc.... Am I that much of a rarity? Can there be no anime fan who likes plain and simply anime in its totality?

I guess we're in the same boat, however, I have yet to sail the uncharted waters of shounen-ai. Though I've recently made an attempt to watch Junjo Romantica.
I'm really a sucker for sports theme shounen anime. Especially Hajime no Ippo, Hungry Heart Wild Striker, The Prince of Tennis, and Initial D. I find sport theme to be really fun to watch.

Quotes:

From Gundam W, Heero Yuy says to Relena Darlian:

"Remember the fate of the one who saw my face and Gundam. I will kill you."

From Yu Yu Hakusho, Hiei asks Kuwabara:

"So tell me. What's it like to live in a constant haze of stupidity?"

From Cowboy Bebop, Spike's last action:

"Bang..."

From Bleach; Turning Back the Pendulum:

spoiler[Fifth Division Lieutenant, Aizen asks: "When did you become aware of my presence?"

Fifth Division Captain, Shinji replies: "Before you even stepped out of your mama's womb."]

(I've used that last line once.)

Forgot about sports anime! I edited it in. I recently watched Big Windup! on Hulu and it was awesome! (And I don't even like baseball.)

Truth be told, Junjo Romantica is the only BL anime I've seen and really liked (can't wait until it gets a distributor). I tried Sukisho, but it was just too cheesy.

Last edited by Lemoncookies23 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
B.J. is my new favorite person for quoting Samurai Pizza Cats:

That reminds me, anyone even bother to revive this series? I'm surprised that they can revive C.O.P.S., Silverhawks, Captain N The Game Master, Jem, and other but not this.
OZ-13MS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:00 am Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
Forgot about sports anime! I edited it in. I recently watched Big Windup! on Hulu and it was awesome! (And I don't even like baseball.)

Truth be told, Junjo Romantica is the only BL anime I've seen and really liked (can't wait until it gets a distributor). I tried Sukisho, but it was just too cheesy.

I finished watching Big Windup last week, I did enjoy the anime but in the end it made me feel empty. I was expecting more tournament games but the pace of the show would not allow for it. Very slow paced and not much to get exited about. Also, the main character bothered me with his lack of confidence which is unheard of for the hero in a shounen anime, in the end he managed to pull through. It would have been nice if the anime was longer and have Mihashi gain more confidence and become less shy. One Outs is way better than Big Windup. I don't like to watch baseball but playing is fun.
rekishi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:52 am Reply with quote
i think the USDL guy needs to realise something.

no one really cares about him, his organisation or anything he says. if he didn't post a response. i personally would have forgotten all about him, and even after his post, the only thing i really feel is utter indifference for him and his 300 mates. i don't even hate him.

he's an organisation on the internet; yeah... they always go well, and achieve so much in the real world. he can say what ever he wants behind a veil of anonymity on the internet and no one will care. if he wants anyone to even register his existence, he should step out into the real world, and talk to people who are in range to inflict physical violence on him. if he is still willing to fight for his cause, and argue his point of view, face to face, with actual people, despite the risk that what he says might make people so angry that they spit on him... then i may care...

until then, let him live in his own little world, enjoying his 15 minutes of fame. when he's old and grey... and grown up, i bet he'll want to change his name back to his birth name and will be regretting how silly he was when he was young.

he's just one big pile of noisy internet MEH! and i seriously couldn't care any less about him.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:57 am Reply with quote
JairStout wrote:
Poor sales won't destroy the industry, it's all the anime "fans" who stick to specific genres like fascists to the motherland. And everybody has a damn inferiority complex it seems.

I'd say that what you say is bad is pretty normal, that people tend to stick with what they like a radical concept I have heard about. I think my anime collection and fandom are fine, so why should I support/see a genre type that I have no interest in seeing again?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9