• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-04-24]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koji98

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Or else you will regret ever ****ing with me?

I find it kind of funny that the USDL guy formed this statement as a question. As for quotes, I'm not sure if the original novel counts, but Welcome to the NHK had some good ones, like:
Because it's a bit naughty, I'll throw the spoiler tag over it.spoiler["Swollen...swollen...piercing the sky...rising high...swollen...swollen...swollen...swollen...swollen...swollen! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"]

And stuff from other stuff I don't remember word by word:
"No sappy lines allowed!"
"The flat chest is a status symbol!"
"The sun, Patzu, it's rising from the west."
"Uguuuuuu!"
"He took the most important thing from you. Your heart."
"I'm in despair!"
Forever-Eternity0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:25 am Reply with quote
So much hatred Sad Uptight nerds hate the easy target of formulaic shounen, which earns them the righteous wrath of Answerman. But while Answerman condemns them for their carefully studied cynicism, he makes himself guilty of that very same cynicism towards indie comic readers and closeted, spelling-challenged loli lovers.

Elitism begets elitism and sends the internet in a downward spiral in which not a thing will have any lasting value anymore in the eyes of the bitter, jaded crowd. At times such as this, we would do well to remember a quote from the protagonist Shiro, of Fate/Stay Night fame: "People die when they are killed." With a little modification, it reads "people offend when they give their opinion". A motto we would all do well to heed.

Last edited by Forever-Eternity0 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:13 am Reply with quote
When it comes to obtaining J-Pop or J-Rock or more, I'm surprised no one mentioned a couple options:

1. Go over to jbox dot com and Peter Payne there will gladly hook you up with a Japanese iTunes card and even tell you how to set up your own Japanese iTunes account.

2. Or stay local by visiting Japanfiles dot com and get a nice selection of music there at a bitrate of 320 kbps.

And no, I don't work for either place, but I've had good experiences at both sites.

Also, props to the person on the first page quoting Slayers lines. All too classic in my book! Smile
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(websites deleted because they are strange and you really don't want to look at them)

One can just imagine the unimaginable..... Thanks for watching over our sanity.
corinthian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one that had a little laugh that "REAL manga" was encyclopedia-linked to "REAL (manga)." Yes? No? Eh, maybe you had to be there...
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:16 am Reply with quote
...The shonen guy kinda bugged me. It like he thinks everyone hates shonen or something. What the heck?

I'd love to rant about this, but it's pointless. I just gotta be like Kevin and remember: We're all part of the community.....-_-

(spoiler[Also, what kind of logic is "if we hate shonen, we gotta hate shojo, too!" That makes about as much sense as "if the Chinese and Japanese fought, then the Japanese shouldn't base so many anime on Journey to the West", which Answerman told me also doesn't make sense])
Symmetrical_Magician

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:24 am Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
I however didn't see what went down last week. I missed out on a fun quote game! Something I remember well...lets see...

Power beyond the twilight and crimsion beyond blood that flows...burried in the stream of time is where your power grows.
I pledge myself to conquer all the foes who stand, against the mighty gift bestowed in my unworthy hand.

DRAGON SLAVE!

I feel like the other line in it was:
"May the fools who stand before me be destroyed by the power you and I posses..." but that might have been the Giga slave?

"What is this?! The Clarie Bibble?!"

"You who stand before me who desires destruction....I am the mother of all darkness....iI am...the Lord of Nightmares...."

I miss Slayers... Sad

Ha, yes! Good job with Slayers quotes! I'm actually still working on everything outside the Dragon Slave. It's sad, really. ^^;

I think the "most recent" version of DS in the English dub (they changed it a few times for some reason...) was:

"Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows;
Buried in the stream of time is where your power grows,
I pledge myself to conquer all the foes that stand
Before the mighty gift bestowed in my unworthy hands.
Let all the fools who stand before me be destroyed by the power
you and I possess. Dragon Slave!"

And the Magical Girl scene in Slayers NEXT. The whole song!

Outside of Slayers, I wish someone had mentioned Haruhi's introduction... I forgot about this question. ^^;
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:27 am Reply with quote
answerfan wrote:
If we have to hate shounen then we have to hate shoujo as well- and this is coming from someone that LOVES Bleach and Hikaru no Go but also loves anime/manga like Soul Eater, Lucky Star, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Fullmetal Alchemist, Shining Tears X Wind and so on.
Wait, how are Soul Eater and FMA not shounen?

As for the genre itself, it's a mixed bag for me. I loved Gurren Lagann, but didn't like sCRYed. I got tired of Bleach and DB stuff reeeeeally fast. I really like FMA. And Soul Eater, which I was just introduced to this month, is fast becoming a new favorite. But I dislike spending time being negative about things, or paying much heed to the negativity of others, so if there's some anti-shounen campaign being waged, I haven't noticed it.

I think there are a couple things that push people away are "call my name"/"calling your attacks" (and other types of "unrealistic" dialog and behavior, such as explaining for three minutes how your specific type of attack works) and the absurd premises many are built on, as noted by Brian.

I think one reason why I'm loving Soul Eater so much is how it is makes winking elbow nudges at the shounen genre (and itself), like when Soul says to Maka something along the lines of, "Hey, calm down! If you could get stronger by just stomping and screaming, everyone would be doing it!" Or how one villain at one point actually makes a quip at how silly it was for the heros to stand there and plan their strategy out loud rather than ambushing the villain.

But that's just how a lot of those shows are, and if you can look past or embrace those things that require a little more suspension of reality than your average modern anime drama or historical fiction, then they can be LOTS of good fun. Same thing can be said for other genres and some of their more defining attributes/cliches.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:41 am Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
Also, Im suprise Hey Answerfans didn't see a single responce with THIS classic line:

"To protect the world, from devestation! To unite all people within our nation!...."ect ect
yeah cmon don't we ALL have thatone memorized?

I just assumed someone else would send that in. It seemed too obvious. Wink
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:13 am Reply with quote
Man... Zac is really good at pissing people off.

You know, I always thought that if you sent your emails to the Answerman, then that you would want to have it potentially up with the column... Isn't that the nature of the column in the first place? Again, japanophiles, you can love Japan all you want but again, don't take it too far. Keep your yaoi paddles and japoenglish amongst friends and people who get it.

Congrats Brain on the show. I read the review and now I'm somewhat interested to see the show. Too bad I live in the midwest. Sorry, not much of a theater person and for some reason right now I'm not really in the mood for some engrossing retrospective of life.

Anyways, I'm like a number of you guys and that I have a pretty broad taste in genres when it comes to anime in manga. I'm a Shounen/Shojo/Comedy/harem/action/romance/drama/Mecha/Moe/indie/melodrama/whatever kind of American Otaku. Although I don't collect Yaoi or boys love series or Moe series but it doesn't mean I won't either watch them or at least give them a chance before I decide whether or not I like them. If I find ones I did enjoy then they become the exception and join my vast collection. Hence my avatar. I don't know why but I just like the conversation in that bit of flash back. "Ah ii!" Gah.... they got me. *shakes fist*

Honestly there's nothing wrong with shonen. I really enjoy them and sometimes you just need that type of story and action and overall premises to even you out. Sure all shounen series follow similar themes and stories but you know what? If you paraphrase anything then of course they will sound alike. Like any work of art and entertainment you gotta look at how the it's executed and if it fits your taste or not. If it doesn't then oh well. No need to get venomous about it.

I'm not sure if its true for all other all-around anime fans but tend to get worn or tap out when I watch a certain genre for too long or too often. I need to switch gears from time to time and pop in a different series for a change of pace. Heck just recently I was feeling a little uneasy and couldn't find myself relaxing and enjoying one of the new animes series and couldn't point out why. I still liked the series but I was still uneasy. I eventually decided to just pop in One Piece and now; I'm all good. I just need that break from all the school drama and other series out there right now. You guys should give it a try too if you find yourself being more negative towards a series you think you should be enjoying. Sometimes you just get overloaded.

Last edited by TatsuGero23 on Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:00 am; edited 3 times in total
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:26 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
I'm sorry but I don't know if I can take a guy seriously who believes Yu Yu Hakusho to not be one of the better shounen series.

YYH is the only shounen show where I wished there were more episodes of endless training, if only to give Genkai more screentime. I think shounen works best when there's a limited amount of episodes, which forces the writers to compress things.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:04 am Reply with quote
Briiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaan!

I'd really, really love to come see your play. I think you're supremely awesome.

BUT! I live in Wisconsin... Is there some way I could obtain a video recording of the play? Pleeeeease? I'll even pay for it!
crossbred900

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:28 am Reply with quote
Tetsuooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!
infinitebeauty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
much of the American market is targeted towards teens.

As a teen in the American comics market, I can say this with complete confidence: No. There are titles for teens, and there are titles for kids, but a lot of the stuff is aimed at older fans, especially in the Big Two.
Unless you were talking about the American market for manga, in which case you will get no arguments from me. With a lot of comics being made for the older fan, it is no wonder that teens are turning toward manga.

Quote:
are you going to get a political comic in America?

Yes. A lot of the superhero comics deal with politics (Obama/Spiderman crossover, anyone? Lex Luthor for president?) and there have been other comics dealing with matters of civil rights. There are comics covering a wide variety of spectrums, including religion. There is a comic about Nicolas Tesla and Mark Twain fighting the evil Thomas Edison!

I'd be very interested in reading experimental manga. I love seeing what people do within their mediums, it's a ton of fun.
konkonsn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:48 am Reply with quote
Forever-Eternity0 wrote:
Elitism begets elitism and sends the internet in a downward spiral in which not a thing will have any lasting value anymore in the eyes of the bitter, jaded crowd. At times such as this, we would do well to remember a quote from the protagonist Shiro, of Fate/Stay Night fame: "People die when they are killed." With a little modification, it reads "people offend when they give their opinion". A motto we would all do well to heed.

It's not always elitism. Just because you point out the bad points doesn't mean you can't see the good points. Sometimes you don't have the time or the subject doesn't require the good points.

So you criticize something, and it's good to do that so people learn not to take themselves or their hobbies too seriously. Sometimes you're a bit scathing, but some people are just like that...and sometimes it makes it funnier.

I mean, I gave a bunch of underhanded blows to Watase in my first post, but that doesn't mean I don't get the appeal of her stories or find her artwork to be gorgeous.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9