• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2009-04-24]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panda Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Akemi L. Mokoto wrote:
You people know nothing. You can call the USDL Stupid, Fake, or whatever, that your opinion. But the fact of the matter is, Were here to stay. and wather you like it or not, there isn’t a damn thing you can do. So get your heads outta your ass, and take a look at yourselves before you attack me or my group. Egomania isn’t something you should be expressing on a website full of Worthless Board Certified Dumbasses with nothing in there life’s to do but attack Loli-Fans and jack off to Japanese Idols from your favorite anime magazine.

Thank you for making feel smart. Also, I can assure you my head is not in there, as it is right in front of my computer screen.

And before you try to argue, learn to spell.
panzer.time

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
And what's with the "L." in the middle of your name? As far as I know, that's not even valid Japanese.

I mean, I assume you're going for a Japanese look. It could be some crazy Swahili something too.
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:20 pm Reply with quote
As a perfectly sane certified lolicon, I would like to state that I don't support that [expletive] dumbass who more than well deserves his place in your flakes. Please don't let that guy represent your image of all lolicons. Most of us just happen to think that anime girls are cute regardless of how old they look and can totally enjoy our lolipr0n without having to cram it in other peoples' faces. Please don't look down on the whole lolicon community thanks to this asshole. We are people too. And there's nothing wrong with us. We harm no one, we just want to like anime girls in peace.

(incidentally, if you are reading this and disagree with me from a legal standpoint, know that I have nothing and I am underaged.)

Also, 4chan is nowhere near as bad as it's reputation. /a/ is the ONLY place where I can have a conversation about Rose of Versailles, Princess Tutu, or Legend of the Galactic Heroes. You just need to go at night.

Anyway I thought I'd copy in my Hey, Answerfans response.

There are a number of anime/manga moments I can recite from the top of my head such as various moments or even whole chapters of the Gunslinger Girl manga, a lot of the Boogiepop and Others light novel, many scenes from Cowboy Bebop, and an infinite of little quotes from all kinds of shows, however I wanted to pick out my absolute favorite.

I can recite the musical from Kure-nai. For those who don't know, episode 6 of Kure-nai is a filler/character building episode in which most of the cast is recruited to do a musical. They end up doing an improvised musical within their apartment building which was legendary for coming out of nowhere, being absurdly well-animated, and a whole 3-minutes long. It's also my favorite scene in anime history.

I don't just have the lyrics memorized, but I have every single exaggerated movement of the scene memorized as well. That's because I was once attempting to film myself doing a one-man performance of the whole thing, though it got to be much too difficult when the movements were at the outer rims of human capability lol.

If you haven't seen Kure-nai, I infinitely sugest you do, but otherwise just look up the Kure-nai musical on youtube. It's a scene everyone should experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
panzer.time

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Totally forgot about the quotes, man!

"Gudo!" Kyaro from Heavy Metal L-Gaim

"Aie!" "Ow!" "Ah!" "No!" "Yes!" from Lucky Star (or maybe "Ba... ru... sa... mi... ku... so...")

And, of course...
"It's over 9000!" (Or maybe "Didn't Gohan teach you any manners?" or "Wedding? I'll try some of that next time.") from, well, DB and DBZ
Panda Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:30 pm Reply with quote
21stcenturydigitalboy wrote:
...can totally enjoy our lolipr0n without having to cram it in other peoples' faces.

Thats fine by me. People that try to force it are the ones I have a problem with.
StickyToffeePopcorn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Ryllharu wrote:
It seems to me that if you claim that you can't find "experimental" manga, you're not even looking.

Yes, there are a great number of series that conform to what sells, but there are more titles out there of manga that play with the medium and approach mature issues than western comics do.

The whole Slice of Life genre would never sell in the quantities it does in Japan that a western produced slice of life series would sell in comic shops. Not all of the titles are happy ones that make you smile. A lot are rather depressing to be honest.

Would a western comic series written for teens about competitive bread baking ever make it past the editors here? How about curry instead? A romance series about a boy who drinks a girl's drool on a whim and falls for her? Would Marvel, DC, or even a niche publisher ever release a series about medieval trade economics? A boy with a pint-sized girl replacing his hand?

These are the more mainstream titles. I didn't even get to the really strange ones.

I can't help but think that none of these titles are really the kind of "experimental" thing the guy was looking for. The cooking manga belong squarely in that populated genre (so much so that Yakitate Japan is even a parody of that particular type of manga), and the other manga put twists on current genres such as Midori Days on romance etc. Although I realise these are unusual themes for comics or manga in themselves, they're not really what I think of with "experimental" due to the number of tropes relied on, used so they can be marketed to a specific audience.

When I think of experimental comics or animation I instead think of things much harder to apply to current genres. In manga this seems to mainly be accessible to the west in the form of bizarre, old (notably post-war period up to the student movement) manga shorts. The best example I think is the infamous cult manga anthology Garo, discontinued in 2002. You can find a lot of works from Garo translated or raw if you search around the internet, with varying art styles and techniques. There are also some rare times when these are published in book form, such as Yoshihiro Tatsumi's "Good-bye" anthology published by Drawn and Quarterly. I urge anybody interested to check it out, but keep in mind that the quality of work contained in a lot of these works may underwhelm (many stories are simple, short and dark; offering much more of a social commentary than any actual story or development).
There are also anthologies such as "comics underground japan" that compiles some interesting shorts by various authors. And I believe the manga Rica 'tte Kanji was translated into English, a simple autobiographical story revolving around the author's lesbian relationship. This is probably the most tame and accessible "experimental" manga I can think of (aside from the well known Sexy Voice and Robo).
For a much more modern cult and experimental manga that became more popular and noticeable in Japan and other countries there's also the Pure Trance graphic novel, Junko Mizuno's dark twist on "cute-culture" originally included with trance/techno CDs.
Really though for modern cult and experimental manga you have to do what Brian says and really just mince around in the right circles in Japan, or wait and hope and pray more of it makes it into English.
Manga definitely offers a lot of options on the experimental front (as I classify it), taking into account that it’s the product of a single, relatively small country. All of this alternative crap could definitely be seen to just offer elitists something to feel more individual/mature than other manga readers, but even if that’s the case I think there are some interesting reads, just a shame more isn't translated.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Three from the same anime always pop up, and are pretty easy to remember.

"Those who make mistakes, blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix the mistake. Men can't return to the past. That's why they drink. Lushes, drunks, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be forgotten. Frank Marlen the gunsmith, does nothing but drink, and he questions the glass after it's empty. Am I wrong? Was I wrong? "

^There is actually a lot of dual symbolism in this, plus it's just beautiful prose.

"All people have a sanctuary which must never be touched. A scar of sadness, which must never be tread upon. A cooperation formed by the living, to realize a dream, or achieve an ideal. The man with the white coat told me in a quiet voice, that he had finally found me, that he wanted my life. That man smiled a smile deeper than darkness. Legato Bluesummers, a man fascinated by death, only spoke quietly."

" I met a lone man in the desert. A traveling priest, Nicholas D. Wolfwood. He smiled and then he told me that I'm a troubled man. Faced with his all-seeing smile, there was nothing I could say in my defense."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
21stcenturydigitalboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Three from the same anime always pop up, and are pretty easy to remember.

"Those who make mistakes, blame themselves and close their hearts. It's impossible to fix the mistake. Men can't return to the past. That's why they drink. Lushes, drunks, sliding alcohol down their throats to dilute the memories that can't be forgotten. Frank Marlen the gunsmith, does nothing but drink, and he questions the glass after it's empty. Am I wrong? Was I wrong? "

^There is actually a lot of dual symbolism in this, plus it's just beautiful prose.

"All people have a sanctuary which must never be touched. A scar of sadness, which must never be tread upon. A cooperation formed by the living, to realize a dream, or achieve an ideal. The man with the white coat told me in a quiet voice, that he had finally found me, that he wanted my life. That man smiled a smile deeper than darkness. Legato Bluesummers, a man fascinated by death, only spoke quietly."

" I met a lone man in the desert. A traveling priest, Nicholas D. Wolfwood. He smiled and then he told me that I'm a troubled man. Faced with his all-seeing smile, there was nothing I could say in my defense."

All great Trigun quotes, but easy to remember?! I am thinking you are amazing for recalling them all so well Anime hyper And the last one sounds like it's from a next episode preview or something. Impressive.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:55 pm Reply with quote
21stcenturydigitalboy wrote:
All great Trigun quotes, but easy to remember?! I am thinking you are amazing for recalling them all so well Anime hyper And the last one sounds like it's from a next episode preview or something. Impressive.

They all are, actually. Trigun was one of those relatively rare shows where the next episode previews weren't just a few token lines or some sort of sum-up, but were legitimately well-written in their own right. The quote about Frank Marlen is one that stuck in my head for a while, too. Smile
NanayaDestruct

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:38 pm Reply with quote
You know, I'm not even going to try and defend Akemi at this point. He does have every right to respond back to him being mocked here, though. I would have much rather seen him behave differently though as right now all he is doing is continuing to give people like me a bad name when they associate lolicon with behavior like this.

You know, not all of us act like we came straight from 4chan. Personally, I can't even stand 4chan. Never use that site ever. So don't assume you can just lump us all in together.

All that aside, I do fully agree with him on his original point that there is no need to constantly bash something just because it isn't something you are into. I've stopped going to Kotaku due to recent remarks I have read mocking those who buy figurines and dakimakura (hugging pillows). Since I am a collector/user of both, I naturally take offense to a website about game news (with the word "otaku" in it, mind you) directly insulting me. The comments on the page were just as offensive.

I might stop coming here as well. I understand that some people may not find younger girls attractive. That's fine, but do we really need to behave like immature jocks that insult and put-down anything that is different or that we don't understand. There are a LARGE number of people out there that love 2D loli goodness (just take a look at all the eroge released with loli heroines) and you are directly insulting them. You really need to open your eyes and admit that we make up a decent proportion of this little subculture of ours.

Meh, whatever. I already knew your guys were all biased and opinionated. One look at your anime previews (which all seem to be written by the same person they are so similar) and you can tell that you do not have a proper representation of most people on here. For example, it's hard to deny that K-ON became a huge sensation. It's the big deal right now, so much so that it's actually boosting guitar sales. Yet nobody here gave the show anything over a 3. Clearly the majority is not being represented on this website.

Not that I am trying to say lolicon are the majority here. But we are not just a few people from 4chan. You may not like seeing sexualized drawings of cute little girls, but that doesn't mean you have to call them sick or twisted. It's not hurting anybody. Now, to push things a bit further I shall repeat some of what I said in the previous (and now dead) topic in a slightly edited/expanded format.

Since I can view things from both sides of an argument when I am in one. Back in the "olden days" women were married off to have children by the age of 13, to much older men. Why do you think our bodies go through puberty? That is the age that nature decides we are ready to start having sex. The idea that such a thing is wrong is just another invention of modern society. Be it a good thing to accept nature and our design (we gain an interest in sex at around 13 and we become able for sex at around 13. hmmm) or to fight it for the sake of random laws is up for you to decide on your own.

Hell, you could say that lolicon is a great thing. It's a reasonable point of view in today's society that pedophilia is a disease, no? Some people really can't help themselves. It's like being homosexual, you can't help who you find yourself attracted to. But now because of lolicon manga and anime, you have an outlet to relieve yourself without causing harm to others (rape) or breaking any laws (statutory rape). If you did not have lolicon to tend to your fantasies, then you might turn out to be the one who would go out there and hurt a real child.

We wouldn't want a child getting hurt, right? So lolicon helps children by becoming an alternative for people with a lolita complex that doesn't want to hurt a child or someone who doesn't like real women to begin with.

Because we almost never think about that either. Some people out there don't even like real women at all. Or real girls. Maybe they are only attracted to anime loli. What is the harm in that? It may not be your thing, but to insult these people and the things they like is childish and disappointing.

Whatever, it's not like any of you are going to change your mind. Ignorance is difficult to cure someone of when they refuse to look at something from any point of view other than their own. But that's all I have to say about this for now.

Thus, enjoy your day.
infinitebeauty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Ryllharu wrote:
It seems to me that if you claim that you can't find "experimental" manga, you're not even looking.

Yes, there are a great number of series that conform to what sells, but there are more titles out there of manga that play with the medium and approach mature issues than western comics do.

These are the more mainstream titles. I didn't even get to the really strange ones.

The thing is, though, is that when I look for 'experimental' films/books/comics, I'm looking less at the originality of the plot and more what the creator does with the medium. Layout, effects, choice of words, methods of characterization, etc. As much as I love Watchmen, the premise is hardly anything shining. It was more the way that it was constructed that made it great. I like interesting and original plots as well, always, but sometimes I'm in the mood for something that is more concerned with presentation than plot. And then I turn to experimental things!
I may be looking for something different than the original question asker, though. I may check out 20th Century Boys though, after meaning to for about a year now.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote
NanayaDestruct wrote:

I might stop coming here as well.

OH NO THAT WOULD BE HORRIBLE

PLEASE, DON'T GO
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:05 am Reply with quote
the lolicon guy wrote:
GROW THE HELL UP!

Look at yourself. You grow up.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:34 am Reply with quote
Akemi L. Mokoto wrote:
You people know nothing. You can call the USDL Stupid, Fake, or whatever, that your opinion. But the fact of the matter is, Were here to stay. and wather you like it or not, there isn’t a damn thing you can do. So get your heads outta your ass, and take a look at yourselves before you attack me or my group. Egomania isn’t something you should be expressing on a website full of Worthless Board Certified Dumbasses with nothing in there life’s to do but attack Loli-Fans and jack off to Japanese Idols from your favorite anime magazine.

Did you think you, a person in high school that has just signed onto the forums not more than three days ago is going to convince us of what are preferences should be otherwise? Least of all, going onto a forum and screaming and yelling and insulting us to do so? If you take a few minutes to think about the logic behind this, you might actually realize the truth...

Quote:
Please don't place me in the catagory of the Lowest Form of Scum on Earth, Pedophiles.

I don't think you are. You're just a little...misled.

Quote:
I wouldn kill someone for that reason. The only person I'd kill is a Pedophile. I've told people that. I plan on...nevermeind, the last thing i need is the FBI kicking down my Door arresting me for something before I do it. Lets just say, the NABLA Headquarters in San Fran, needs to look out becaause with in 3 years all hell will break Louse.

Okaayyy Rolling Eyes You're reminding me of a guy who used to be on Youtube who was a part of Anonymous. He was getting upset because he got banned from 4chan by moot and he was making videos on Youtube demanding moot to let him back on. All he would get was hate and spam from people, the works. He then tried to reconcile with people by posting his phone number on the internet and in return starting getting light night prank phone calls from people all over the nation. He also said that if people were doing that he would call the FBI.

Quote:
Also Im not a Troll. Im Not A troll. Im Not A Troll. How many times do I have to say that?!

That's what trolls say.

NanayaDestruct wrote:
I might stop coming here as well.

Apparently this statement is supposed to make us feel bad. Man, do I feel bad.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:53 am Reply with quote
Akemi L. Mokoto wrote:
But to the point, I am not a pedophile. I can't speak for the entire Loli-Community, unfortunitly, because they wont agree. But I am not a Pedo. Please don't place me in the catagory of the Lowest Form of Scum on Earth, Pedophiles.

Okay, lets examine this statement: You are not a pedophile.

You however are so into comics and/or animated shows that focus on depicting small children in a sexual manner that you have set up a whole big 'defense league' for them. Okay, I realize drawn pictures are not the exactly same thing as real life children so for the sake of argument, let's give you the benefit of the doubt and say that being into lolicon does not mean you are attracted to real children.

Wait though, in the previous Answerman thread, you freely admitted that "Yes its true Im having sex with a 14 year old girl." (You yourself being at least 18). Now, you went on to dismiss that as no big deal because she isn't a really little kid like an 8-10 year old. Now I'm really stretching here but again, for the sake of argument lets assume that holds merit and 14 is close enough to being of age that it doesn't make you a pedophile.

Lets recap: When you're not having sex with your 14 year old 'girlfriend' you enjoy looking at sexual drawings of even younger girls. Don't you think it's maybe time to put two and two together and realize that you are attracted to children AKA are a pedophile?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9