• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Astro Boy's 1980, 2003 TV Series Streamed on YouTube

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bossyman15

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:14 am Reply with quote
awww why isn't this subbed?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:17 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering if Manga Entertainment is going to impose regional restrictions on their streaming like we've been seeing other companies do.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:40 am Reply with quote
I was amazed to see how the dub for the 2003 cartoon retained the original's spirit and did not really manage to embarrass anyone involved. I haven't checked the 1980 cartoon but looks like appointment TV considering the source.

Also, reading Pluto after having an idea of who the characters are can be a bit overwhelming but also rewarding.
Anton Chigurh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:41 am Reply with quote
I was amazed to see how the dub for the 2003 cartoon retained the original's spirit and did not really manage to embarrass anyone involved. I haven't checked the 1980 cartoon but looks like appointment TV considering the source.

Also, reading Pluto after having an idea of who the characters are can be a bit overwhelming but also rewarding.
dxInt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:10 am Reply with quote

Last edited by dxInt on Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:36 am Reply with quote
dxInt wrote:
The youtube channel showing the 2003 Astro Boy series is showing the series in widescreen. This is the first time the dubbed anime is being presented in its widescreen format. The us broadcast, the dvds, and the stream on hulu are all fullscreen with (terrible) pan and scan. It's really fantastic that the show is finally being made available in all of its original glory, as the animation quality of this tv series is exemplary and very nearly unmatched.
That's interesting. Are you sure it is the DVDs that are Pan&scan, and not that the youtube version has been cropped? That sounds a lot more likely for a 6-year-old series than that it has been recently remastered with an expanded frame and no additional DVD release, or that the original DVD release was inexplicably not the full frame.
dxInt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:45 am Reply with quote

Last edited by dxInt on Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:47 am Reply with quote
Anton Chigurh wrote:
I was amazed to see how the dub for the 2003 cartoon retained the original's spirit and did not really manage to embarrass anyone involved.

I don't exactly agree with this assessment. I think there were a lot of problems with the 2003 dub as it pertains to editing/removal of footage and rewriting of dialogue/plot. The fact that the music was all changed and the series was not presented in its original widescreen format didn't help either. The above commenter mentioned that the new streams are at least in the original widescreen, but that doesn't fix everything else.

A few years ago I interviewed one of the people that was staff for the 2003 Astro Boy series (among many other things), and he brought up that one of the most major alterations for the 2003 Astro Boy dub was that Astro Boy's personality had to be fundamentally altered from his traditional, iconic portrayal. Go ahead and listen to that if you find yourself with 90 minutes to kill, or you could use the timecodes to skip to just the parts where we talked about Astro Boy. EDIT: and then consider listening to my comparisons of the Astro Boy origin tale as depicted in the manga vs the various anime adaptations over the years!

Oh Sony, why do you do such good releases of your anime movies but such dire releases of your anime TV series? Besides the fact that they never released an uncut, widescreen set of the 2003 Astro Boy series that included the Japanese audio, I for one am still waiting for the rest of Cyborg 009!

Last edited by Anime World Order on Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dxInt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:10 am Reply with quote

Last edited by dxInt on Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I agree with you AWO i watched the 2003 version on hulu and it came off as a saturday morning cartoon. I couldn't watch it past the 5th episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
edzieba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:35 pm Reply with quote
dxInt wrote:
The show was created and animated widescreen. The Japanese DVDs are also in widescreen.
Ah, I'd assumed you were talking about the R2 DVDs being 4:3. I can't check the youtube stream anyway: it's region locked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1