• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nozomi Licenses Rental Magica TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireratman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:28 am Reply with quote
I'm good into the whole magic premus of a cartoon being about magic. that type of stuff is really cool. like in full metal alchemist the whole magic and technology thing really gets my goat.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
Unless they lost it, FUNimation has already grabbed Spice and Wolf.

FUNimation is listed as the distributor in the encyclopedia, but when was that announced? I remember them sending C&D notices, but I'm drawing a blank on an actual announcement. In fact, the "source" listed in the encyclopedia is the ANN article about said C&D notices.

Yeah you might be right, Kadokawa USA still owns the license. Just like they still own the license of The Third, FMP:TSR, and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. And probably still own the license to Rental Magica, even though the article makes it sound differently. But if they already have a distributor lined up with FUNimation, chances are they will be doing the localization.

They did say that it will be available in North America. Fouth ¶ from bottom.

If they decide to go with another company, chances are FUNimation will be removed from the list as a distributor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
holybell

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least some fans should be happy of this license. As for me, I'll have to pass on this one. I didn't like this series at all. I trudged through the first half and lost interest at the same time. I dropped it right after since I could not bear to watch it anymore. Was it because of the story? the characters? or some other factor(s)? I don't know, but this series won't be in my anime collection.

Last edited by holybell on Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:44 pm; edited 8 times in total
SongstressCela

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
I tried to watch Spice and Wolf and I was so bored. What is so good about it?

Spice and Wolf is hardly "epic" though, so I'm not surprised that you were bored by it. Wink

*snort*

Yes, well, thank god I wasn't terribly into Rental Magica or I'd be horribly depressed, as usual. I wouldn't exactly consider it a great loss to see Nozomi leave the market, not in the least.

Last edited by SongstressCela on Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:24 pm Reply with quote
*snort*

Yes, well, thank god I wasn't terribly into Rental Magica or I'd be horribly depressed, as usual. I wouldn't exactly consider it a great loss to see Nozomi leave the market, not in the least.

so, SongstressCela, if that is your real name, if a company doesn't release titles YOU personally approve of they should go out of business? Lovely.

You might want to see someone about your "horrible depression" if Japanese cartoons can have so great an effect on your otherwise no doubt charming personality.

Rolling Eyes
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
I tried to watch Spice and Wolf and I was so bored. What is so good about it?

The economic side of it all darn near bored me to death, but what made Spice and Wolf so enjoyable for me was the interplay between the two leads. Spice and Wolf's script is great in that regard. So great that I could forgive the yawn-inducing economics.

Bah, I loved the detailed look at medieval economics; though, not as much as watching Laurence and Horo kicking around Smile

I'm not familiar with Rental Magica, but I'll be interested in its release format if only for what it might suggest about how S&W will be treated when (I'm hoping) it's announced. I'd really love to go through the show again with a dub...
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:59 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
I thought "Coo" was licensed already??? (Yeah that re-name gets to me too - thats why I don't buy half the titles I am looking for - they got renamed something so bad I wouldnt touch them with a 10 foot pole)

It, along with several other titles, along with Rental Magica, was part of a big Kadokawa USA licensing announcement where they claimed rights to titles and just sat on them with no actual distribution plans. Of those six titles this is the only one to actually get a distributor. Spice and Wolf HAS NOT been arranged for distribution yet, the FUNi listing is an error based on their involvement in C&D orders.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote
K.o.R wrote:
Well this would be a treat, though if it's Nozomi doesn't that mean it's most likely sub-only?

Indeed, RightStuf lists Rental Magica, for long-term pre-order, as sub-only. So we get the usual round of complaints.
Ghstmtrx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I am just kinda disappointed. No dub. Plus I am kinda old school because I miss when things were released in single DVD's with artboxes and stuff. I had thought that this would actually get picked up by Bandai, and get a dub, and be put on TV, and single DVD's. Boy was I wrong. (I was kinda hoping the same for D.Gray-Man when it got licensed by Funimation.) I really am considering collecting the japanese DVD's. Just to satisfy the collector part of my otaku personality. I dont like collecting box sets. But I digress. Anyway, I will still be buying this, I really enjoyed this series back when I used to watch Fan sub. And I want to own it.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:00 pm Reply with quote
I dont know, I would not count out a dub until something more official comes out.

If no dub is true, it kinda points to Kadokawa being disappointed in the performance of Haruhi, Lucky Star, and The Third, that they want to see how a sub only set with much lower expense performs.

I have to compare my half season sets from Funimation for Negima?!, Ouran, and the Wallflower versus the sets for Maria Watches Over Us, Aria, Ninja Nonsense, Emma, To Heart, and even Comic Party. Nozomi does produce a much higher quality product vs other companies sets.

Singles are dead. Just take a look at the quality of titles in the current bargain bin sale. Each series represents a failure to meet sales expectations.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:24 pm Reply with quote
The only singles I have is Haruhi and that's because Bandai was Cheap and released a complete box set with the single DVD's in them. >_> They could have at least don't thin packs.

But anyway yep there is no Dub for this Anime that means... No Buy..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Well this was one I was curious about but hadn't actually seen. So now I hope that TRSI doesn't take forever to put it out.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:35 pm Reply with quote
K.o.R wrote:
Well this would be a treat, though if it's Nozomi doesn't that mean it's most likely sub-only?

At this stage, it looks likely. Fortunately (for me) sub-only doesn't bother me, and Nozomi releases are quite high quality.

SongstressCela wrote:
I wouldn't exactly consider it a great loss to see Nozomi leave the market, not in the least.

I would. Without them, I wouldn't have series like MariMite and Aria on my shelves. They give me hope that the more niche titles I like will get a US DVD release.
poehitman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't see how they can base how a title will do based on a sub-only release. You're alienating all the dub fans. I refuse to shell out one cent for any title that doesn't have a dub track included on it. It's as simple as that. I'm not paying for what is essentially a fansub with a fancy menu.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
I don't know, I would not count out a dub until something more official comes out.

The Nozomi press release says Japanese audio and English subtitles. The RightStuf listing also indicates only having Japanese audio. You can't get more official than those two sources. There isn't going to be a dub.

Quote:
Singles are dead. Just take a look at the quality of titles in the current bargain bin sale. Each series represents a failure to meet sales expectations.

No, they don't. They are titles that came out some time ago, most of which have had at least one re-release since, and TRSI still has in stock. That doesn't mean they were failures or didn't do well for the companies that produced them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7