• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nozomi Licenses Rental Magica TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
I can not state this enough.

If there is a dub, that is my default, and there is only one series out that made me switch (Strawberry Marshmallow), due to the English translation jokes working 20x better on the sub track.

That said, most of my most cherished series recently are sub only, Maria Watches Over Us, Aria, Simoun, Kashimashi, and Emma. Would a dub have made them better?

I do not know, but I know that what I got was top notch entertainment in decent to great packages for a great price.

Oh man, this is such a nice, refreshing view on this whole debate. Kudos to you, for being level headed and reasonable.
Like I said before, I totally understand, and sympathize, that dub fans are disappointed by lack of dubs for these releases, but I don't get certain people who come running to these forums, seemingly fueled on spite and anger, who wish ill on anime companies, simply because they didn't get what they wanted.
The way I see it is, if the release isn't what you wanted, you have two options.
1. Don't buy the release, and perhaps send a polite e-mail to the company in question, letting them know that you are really disappointed with the lack of dub, and hope to see a dub released in the future.
OR
2. Buy the show anyway, and *gasp* actually attempt to enjoy the show, simply for what it is, kind of like what Gewürtztraminer has done.
But resorting to name-calling and the constant spewing of vitriol and anger, honestly, it doesn't do a damn thing. Except prove that some anime fans are a bunch of whining crazies.

Also, anyone who has ever actually bought one of the Rightstuf sub-only releases, would realize that these sets are far more than simply 'fansubs on a disk'. The attention to detail, and the wonderful extras that have been included in these sets has wowed me every time, and for me, they are among the most valued and precious sets that I have in my collection - they beat the majority of the sub/dub releases that I have in my collection, hands down.

Last edited by Quark on Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:
Why don't you write emails into any one of the feedback forums to Rightstuf and say politely "I like what you're doing but I really prefer dubs."

Saying "I'm never buying your DVDs because you don't provide dubs" is not going to make them listen to you. You just admitted you will not be their customer.

It's not that a show is too good for the dub audience... Quite the opposite, actually.

I don't think that quality has anything to do with it. Dragonauts is prob going to get a dub since it's a FUNi license IIRC. It's more like ability to sell it to justify a dub.

There are some great titles that just aren't seeing the light of day here like Denno Coil, Mononoke and Kaiba. Prob we won't see these titles unless they are sub only.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:08 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Tofusensei wrote:
Why don't you write emails into any one of the feedback forums to Rightstuf and say politely "I like what you're doing but I really prefer dubs."

Saying "I'm never buying your DVDs because you don't provide dubs" is not going to make them listen to you. You just admitted you will not be their customer.

It's not that a show is too good for the dub audience... Quite the opposite, actually.

I don't think that quality has anything to do with it. Dragonauts is prob going to get a dub since it's a FUNi license IIRC. It's more like ability to sell it to justify a dub.

There are some great titles that just aren't seeing the light of day here like Denno Coil, Mononoke and Kaiba. Prob we won't see these titles unless they are sub only.

You're right. My definition of "good" from a business standpoint is "will sell lots of copies."
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Tofusensei wrote:

You're right. My definition of "good" from a business standpoint is "will sell lots of copies."

Uh, excuse me, the anime industry in North America exists only to satisfy the every whim of internet forum users. Profit is not a factor.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Tofusensei wrote:

Uh, excuse me, the anime industry in North America exists only to satisfy the every whim of internet forum users. Profit is not a factor.

You've confirmed my suspicions, Zac.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

So how is Rental Magica, anyway? Most of what I've heard points to it being rather meh-diocre.

I dropped it after about 5 episodes. It wasn't bad, it was just very average and I had better things to spend my time watching at the time. I'll buy the Nozomi releases anyway though. Maybe I'll even actually watch them someday.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I watched it all, and thought it was decent. By no means the best show I've ever seen, but entertaining enough to be worth my while.
poehitman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:
poehitman wrote:
It's as simple as that. I'm not paying for what is essentially a fansub with a fancy menu.
What, subtitles that are professionally translated and approved by the producers, in no-nonsense styles that try to be readable instead of artistic* mean nothing to you? Not to mention DVD-quality video instead of TV-rips?

Yeah, not to mention one's theft and the other isn't.

I always point this out. It's not theft. Anime doesn't begin it's airing in a theatre (most of the time). It's the same as me taping a show that I like and watching it later. If you want me to buy that show when you release it on DVD, you need to offer me something substantial. Slightly better resolution and a paid translator isn't substantial.

And the majority of fansubs I see have perfectly legible fansubs. And the only difference between a fansubber and a company translator is that one is paid and the other isn't. As for the video quality, the DVD quality doesn't make much difference with animated video. At least, not enough for me to shell out 20-30 bucks for 3-6 episodes. Plus most anime these days is being broadcast in HD, so DVD quality video makes even less of a difference.

And why I get pissy over this is because now that TRSI has licensed it and is only releasing a sub-only release, it kills off any chance of a dub release by any other company. Because instead of getting both sub and dub fans, you'll ONLY be getting the dub fans because there will be no reason for the sub fans to purchase it all over again. I can't recall a single series that has had an initial sub-only release that was re-released with a dub.
babbo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
poehitman wrote:
It's as simple as that. I'm not paying for what is essentially a fansub with a fancy menu.
What, subtitles that are professionally translated and approved by the producers, in no-nonsense styles that try to be readable instead of artistic* mean nothing to you? Not to mention DVD-quality video instead of TV-rips? (Might include uncensored or redrawn animation as well.) At least for this series, I'm not seeing any complete fansub releases at resolutions beyond 704x400, so 853x480 on DVD is better to start with. What about DVD extras, which look to be plentiful on this release? You can't download a booklet.

With all the "sub-only DVDs don't offer anything beyond what fansubs give me" talk, you'd think that the companies were just strolling down to the nearest torrent site, downloading the fansub versions, and burning them to disc. Although I imagine that would make some happy.

So how is Rental Magica, anyway? Most of what I've heard points to it being rather meh-diocre.
As much as I agree with you on the worth of sub only dvds, I would point out that fansubs are increasingly being released in HD. DVD rip fansubs have been around for ages as well. legitimacy, professional translation (though I'm not sure you'll convince the whole fansub crowd of this) and extras are really the should still be plenty good a reason to buy them though imo <.<

I'd agree that it's rather meh. Fun but still something to rent rather than buy.
Reliak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:52 am Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:

(silly things about legality of fansubs)

And why I get pissy over this is because now that TRSI has licensed it and is only releasing a sub-only release, it kills off any chance of a dub release by any other company. Because instead of getting both sub and dub fans, you'll ONLY be getting the dub fans because there will be no reason for the sub fans to purchase it all over again. I can't recall a single series that has had an initial sub-only release that was re-released with a dub.

First, Gurren Laggan.

Second, if Nozomi or Kadokawa thought any of the license could justify the oft-quoted $10k per episode dub cost, the show would get dubbed. If FUNimation or someone else wanted to license it and dub it, they would have gone after it. Sure, it "kills off any chance of a dub release by any other company," but in all likelihood such a release would never happen, and the show would never ever get licensed. ...In which case, you still wouldn't have a dub, and the sub fans wouldn't have the show in a physical format at all. And that benefits people, how exactly?

Sure, it sucks. I'm sorry you're not getting an English dub, really. But even if Nozomi had never existed, the chances of Aria or Emma or MariMite or probably Rental Magica getting licensed and dubbed for release in the US is likely non-existent. So can (general) you please stop pissing on everyone's parade, suck it up, and try to move on with your lives?

Last edited by Reliak on Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:11 am Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
If you want me to buy that show when you release it on DVD, you need to offer me something substantial. Slightly better resolution and a paid translator isn't substantial.

In the age of HD, video quality on DVD releases is becoming a moot point, but surely if you like a show you'd want the people who made it to get a bit of money out of it so they can afford to make more shows you might like.

poehitman wrote:
And the majority of fansubs I see have perfectly legible fansubs. And the only difference between a fansubber and a company translator is that one is paid and the other isn't.

Most of the time, you are going to get a better quality translation out of someone paid to do it than out of a bunch of fans doing it in their spare time.

poehitman wrote:
And why I get pissy over this is because now that TRSI has licensed it and is only releasing a sub-only release, it kills off any chance of a dub release by any other company.

If any company (TRSI or otherwise) releases a show sub-only, its chances of getting released with a dub were slim to non-existent anyway. For all the noise that a handful of dub fans interested in Aria, Maria-sama ga Miteru and Emma had been making, companies that dub everything hadn't exactly been falling over each other to license them. In an age where many popular series have their license announced while they're still airing on Japanese TV, it literally took years for anyone to license those.

I suppose it's "only" been a year and a half for Rental Magica, but you can't say that companies willing to dub everything they do haven't had their chance to pick it up.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:55 am Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
I can't recall a single series that has had an initial sub-only release that was re-released with a dub.

This is funny because I just got done watching Innocence on Blu-ray(looks awesome btw), and yes I own the earlier version as well.

Still, I agree with the point of your last paragraph. Overwhelmingly, chances are things that have been sub only before will not get a dub later. I still hope a company over in the jolly UK picks up Emma and dubs it. And if it takes 10 years, I'll buy it again. Rolling Eyes

Reliak wrote:
But even if Nozomi had never existed, the chances of Aria or Emma or MariMite or probably Rental Magica getting licensed and dubbed for release in the US is likely non-existent.

I'm sorry but it's this kind of sophomoric armchair quarterbacking that is just insanely nonsensical. I mean how the hell do you know that. All we know at this point is that Nozomi got those titles, not that no one else was interested. They probably were just willing to pay the most for them. It's not like these shows are on a first come first serve basis. There is negotiating that goes on, that's why it can takes years sometimes to get a show. Saying if they weren't here they would never be brought over is absurd. Maybe as a group, but as individuals, sorry can't agree. You understand that trying to predict an outcome without a known element is just as bad as predicting a single element in a series of elements based on a presumed outcome. It's just this kind of lock step, that's the way it turned out, so that's the only way it could ever have turned out that is really frustrating. Sorry but yes, even in the world of business, things are much more malleable than that.

And don't take that as I want to see Right Stuf go away, I don't. I own a large portion of their product catalog. But the last one I purchased, and probably the last one I will purchase, was Emma. And the only reason I did is because I couldn't not own it. So unless they plan on only releasing shows that have to be owned, then that's pretty much it. Because I'll put money for mediocre shows towards mediocre shows that have a format I can enjoy after a hard days work and I'm tired as shit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:27 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I'm sorry but it's this kind of sophomoric armchair quarterbacking that is just insanely nonsensical. I mean how the hell do you know that. All we know at this point is that Nozomi got those titles, not that no one else was interested. They probably were just willing to pay the most for them.

Well okay, you can never be absolutely 100% sure about anything. But for crying out loud, it took four years for MariMite to get licensed, and the entire fandom thought that one was so niche that it would take a minor miracle for it to get a US DVD release. A bidding war over MariMite? That is insanely nonsensical. I think I can be as certain as I can about anything that no-one else was going to license it, much less dub it.

Dargonxtc wrote:
Saying if they weren't here they would never be brought over is absurd. Maybe as a group, but as individuals, sorry can't agree.

As mentioned, sure you can never be absolutely certain. But you can still be pretty bloody sure about some things. I'm pretty bloody sure that none of MariMite, Aria, or Emma individually ever had enough mass market appeal to be worth the expense of a dub.

<edit>Oh, one other point I want to make:
Dargonxtc wrote:
There is negotiating that goes on, that's why it can takes years sometimes to get a show.

But sometimes, things remain unlicensed for years simply because no-one is attempting to license it. As an example, I don't think there's been a ten-year-long bidding war over this, nor do I have any reason to expect that anyone would be looking at it now with a mind to licensing it.</edit>
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:06 am Reply with quote
Boils down to rights that can hold up an anime's licensing.

Best example would be to think of anime like land, where the person who owned it separated into lots. like show music, opening/ending music and animation, and voice work and so on. Because of our demands the anime licensor must have all of them (or most of them in the case of Speed Grapher although that didn't turn out to well.... at least for some) to release it, one person thinks his piece of the "land" is worth "x" and your only willing to pay "y" as in one case where the person who did the show music wants more than both animation and voice work combined for example. And also add time to track down the rights holders.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:09 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
At least for this series, I'm not seeing any complete fansub releases at resolutions beyond 704x400, so 853x480 on DVD is better to start with.

Isn't 720x480 the maximum resolution on NTSC DVDs?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7