• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Penguindrum, Ninja Scroll Film, Letter Bee

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Key wrote:
That's not the Western mentality about it, which has instead always emphasized access over collectability.

And I think that that mentality is long-term detrimental to the market.

If you just want to watch shows, it has never been easier to do so, legitimately. You can watch something like 80% of the currently airing shows via some sort of legit stream.

There is no reason to buy the discs for every single show you want to watch.
I'd be inclined to agree.

Until anime becomes mainstream (Considering it's not even mainstream in Japan, the chances of that happening are next to zero), or people get used to paying more (Basically accepting Aniplex's pricing on items that are not direct imports (Remember people, only Fate/Zero and GOS were priced that high with Aniplex. If the show is not getting a BD box in Japan, the chances of a direct import is basically zero as would they really do direct imports of SAO singles for example if those had English subs?)), catering to collectors is the better tactic. The mentality of getting everything for cheap isn't going to work out in the long-run.

I also agree that in the long run the current trend of $40-50 for one cour series will be detrimental to the R1 anime industry. Cheap anime is nice, but distributors take a gamble every they bring a series over here, especially if it is being dubbed.

What is wrong with watching anime through legal streaming sites and buying fewer home releases at $7-10 per episode?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

I also agree that in the long run the current trend of $40-50 for one cour series will be detrimental to the R1 anime industry. Cheap anime is nice, but distributors take a gamble every they bring a series over here, especially if it is being dubbed.

What is wrong with watching anime through legal streaming sites and buying fewer home releases at $7-10 per episode?

I think it's wrong to compare Japanese prices to American prices when Japanese prices for home media is more expensive across the board...not just for anime.

I like to watch anime on streaming sites, but I like to own my favorite series too and I don't want to pay ridiculous prices for them.

I am not saying I need my anime super cheap but I don't think $50-$60 for one season of anime is super cheap. It's still certainly more than I would pay for anything else at the moment.

If people want to get the very collectible Japanese releases well then they can always import or buy Aniplex Fate Zero release and the more power to them.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I guess I sort of understand the anxiety over the state of the R1 anime distribution market given things that have happened in the past and given what is happening in the physical media realm across the board, not just in anime. For me, as long as Funi and Sentai are around, I won't worry about the state of the industry. If one of those two go tits up then I'll start pushing the panic button.

However, let's say those who have a darker view of the long-term future of the industry are correct: AoA's high-price/low-volume strategy still won't "save" the R1 industry. All it means is that what is now a niche market will become super-niche. Yes, a small inner core of die-hard collectors will get the occasional title thrown at them with the requisite extravagant price, but everyone else will be out in the cold with the exception of those who don't mind streaming titles and pirates.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote
For some, I'd imagine there's just a mental thing about spending $50+ on anime when TV show boxsets can be far less than that. Yeah, it's unfair to compare those two when the revenue streams cause the massive inequality in price, but that doesn't mean that thought disappears entirely. If anime does go the high-end collector route, they're always money to be made, some people won't stop being spending fans. Although it could be worse, and the Japanese might want to start changing only Japanese prices to the R1 regions. What will happen to conventions and other areas of the fandom? While those carry on because of streaming and downloading, or will things wind down? Merchandise prices aren't likely to change, but what of manga?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
My guess is that fandom will continue on - perhaps even grow - it's just that people will be streaming or downloading either legally or not or buying bootlegs.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

I think it's wrong to compare Japanese prices to American prices when Japanese prices for home media is more expensive across the board...not just for anime.

I like to watch anime on streaming sites, but I like to own my favorite series too and I don't want to pay ridiculous prices for them.

I am not saying I need my anime super cheap but I don't think $50-$60 for one season of anime is super cheap. It's still certainly more than I would pay for anything else at the moment.

If people want to get the very collectible Japanese releases well then they can always import or buy Aniplex Fate Zero release and the more power to them.

I am not saying all series are not worth paying $7-10 per episode. Those prices are for greatly made series or shows you love. If you think that $7-10 per episode is ridiculous pricing, I strongly disagree. You pay for what you think is worth.

To me $50-60 for one season is cheap, but it does not mean I am willing to pay Japanese prices for anime. I might do it for a show that absolutely love and is at least English subtitled.

The gist of my argument is to find a middle ground between typical R1 prices $50 per series and $400+ Japanese prices, that makes anime distributing/manufacturing/producing/dubbing in R1 a profitable business.

For all we know. FUNimation and Sentai might be reaching their profit goals and becoming wealthy. My argument is unpopular, but I don't think paying $7-10 per episode of anime is going to kill anyone, especially if you only buy 5-7 series a year.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Also if people are forced to buy less series because of more expensive prices that would mean we would get even less variety than we already get over here.

People will have to be more selective with what they buy after all and only certain series will sell at the high prices (and it's not necessarily because they are the better series). I can think of a lot of great but more niche series that wouldn't sell at all.

I mean looking at what I bought this year I would have a hard time choosing between those series. I don't want to have to make that choice because prices go beyond what I can afford. Now I am able to buy every series I really enjoyed.

edit: And yes there might be some series I would be willing to pay more if they ever got licensed (Rose of Versailles for one) but in general it's not the series that I don't think is worth that type of money but the physical media itself (which is not even ever lasting).
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Also if people are forced to buy less series because of more expensive prices that would mean we would get even less variety than we already get over here.

People will have to be more selective with what they buy after all and only certain series will sell at the high prices (and it's not necessarily because they are the better series). I can think of a lot of great but more niche series that wouldn't sell at all.

I mean looking at what I bought this year I would have a hard time choosing between those series. I don't want to have to make that choice because prices go beyond what I can afford. Now I am able to buy every series I really enjoyed.

edit: And yes there might be some series I would be willing to pay more if they ever got licensed (Rose of Versailles for one) but in general it's not the series that I don't think is worth that type of money but the physical media itself (which is not even ever lasting).

And what would be wrong with being more selective? Having a choice is nice, but personally, If, say, FUNi announced that next year they would sell only 3 shallow, ecchi series instead of 10, I will not be sad at all.

Perhaps I am a little too selective but for me for every 100 anime products released in R1 each year, only 20-25 are of high quality. I usually buy 12-15 products a year from that 20-25 bunch. If down the road the R1 anime market shrinks by 50%, I would not see a big problem with only buying 5-7 anime products a year.

I only collect what I like a lot. I don't buy anime just for the sake of buying.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

And what would be wrong with being more selective? Having a choice is fine, but personally, If, say, FUNi announced that next year they would sell only 3 shallow, ecchi series instead of 10, I will not be sad at all.

It would be the otaku shows that would likely benefit. Most of the importers on this side of the world are fans of otaku anime if you look at the import websites and forums. They're not importing the Josei or artsy stuff.

So in reality, we'd see a lot more high priced otaku stuff and less mainstream anime since those people wouldn't be willing to pay the higher prices. Similar to how the Japanese market works, where the non otaku stuff don't sell.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

And what would be wrong with being more selective? Having a choice is fine, but personally, If, say, FUNi announced that next year they would sell only 3 shallow, ecchi series instead of 10, I will not be sad at all.

You don't get it. If the ecchi series are what sells the best for Funi now (and I would imagine it's so looking at what they license now). What do you think is going to sell the best when those prices increase?

There will be some high quality popular shows that will probably also sell. I am sure Madoka wouldn't be hurt by this. But those smaller wonderful series, they wouldn't have a chance.

Quote:
I only collect what I like a lot. I don't buy anime just for the sake of buying.

I only collect what I love or I at least highly enjoy. I don't buy anything for the sake of buying.

However if prices go up a lot then I would have to choose between what I love and I don't want to have to do that.

I would also rather not only be able to buy physical media but also be able to purchase manga & merchandise which also shows my support for a series.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Most Otaku show fans/importers are /a/-types who despise the R1 industry, though, so...
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

You don't get it. If the ecchi series are what sells the best for Funi now (and I would imagine it's so looking at what they license now). What do you think is going to sell the best when those prices increase?

There will be some high quality popular shows that will probably also sell. I am sure Madoka wouldn't be hurt by this. But those smaller wonderful series, they wouldn't have a chance.

I do understand that ecchi is what sells the most (I was just making an example of the kind of anime I would not miss). At the current FUNi pricing, they would not find a more marketable genre than ecchi. But if they went the niche, high price route, they would probably make a profit, especially if they did not dub everything.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:09 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

But if they went the niche, high price route, they would probably make a profit, especially if they did not dub everything.

If the same amount of people are buying at those higher prices then yes they would do much better. However if less people are buying then those higher prices would not really help.

I think its true some series would benefit, other series would not. It's the other series that would not that I am concerned with, but it's all conjecture at this point.

From my personal point of view I am happy with how the prices are now.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:20 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

But if they went the niche, high price route, they would probably make a profit, especially if they did not dub everything.

If the same amount of people are buying at those higher prices then yes they would do much better. However if less people are buying then those higher prices would not really help.

I think its true some series would benefit, other series would not. It's the other series that would not that I am concerned with, but it's all conjecture at this point.

From my personal point of view I am happy with how the prices are now.

Its works in the Japanese market, so I'm sure the companies over there would very like to make the same pricing scheme over here. Even if your sales drop 90%, if you're selling it at 10 times the price, you'll break even. And I believe they'd be able to sell more than that.
E-Master

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
E-Master wrote:
A Blu-ray on Ninja Scroll is a must have right there. Thank you Sentai Filmworks for giving the cult anime film a high def treatment.

I hope Discotek can fully make that jump. If they were able to get their hands on some negatives, it would be a great boon for fans of older things. But I can't see that happening unless they hit pay dirt somewhere.

Yeah, I would love to see more of their properties get Blu-ray treatments. But I'm alright with just buying their DVDs cause I like to support them for more licenses on other old anime titles that are currently unlicensed or never were licensed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12