• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Penguindrum, Ninja Scroll Film, Letter Bee

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
So can we officially give the whole "no one will ever license this show" complaint a rest now?

Still sticking by that for Shin Mazinger.

You can not stop me.

Anyway;
totally didn't see this coming.

Sentai, you have my wallet.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
So Sentai insists on continuing to be awesome, eh? Well, I approve. Man, 2012 has been an absolute monster year for releases/licensing announcements (and not just from Sentai, of course).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:47 pm Reply with quote
N.R. wrote:
opn wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I hope they're getting the Ninja Scroll BD, otherwise that's kind of useless to me.

They will be releasing it on blu ray but it remains to be seen if it is the same ones the japanese got.

And if they will go the extra mile and release it in a steelbox like Manga Entertainment will.

I'm hoping they'll grab Five Star Stories on BD, they still hold the DVD license after all. But Ninja Scroll is still one the more popular older anime, like behind AKIRA and up with GitS and A-ko. Sure I liked it back in the day too, but I've found better ultraviolence in its contemporaries, so I don't believe I'd think so highly of it in a rewatch, but I'd really love to see the Devilman and Violence Jack OVAs on BD collection sets. To its credit, Kawajiri knows his animation and art, so it's a damn good looking film regardless of the slipping story and content. And as far as sword-wielding action anime go, Shigurui and the little bit of fighting in Sword of the Stranger have it beat.

Either way, it's worth picking up.
Wakazhi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
So can we officially give the whole "no one will ever license this show" complaint a rest now?

I'm still reasonably worried that Chihayafuru (a josei/sport anime that deals with a card game about ancient Japanese poems) will ever get a decent release (i.e blu-ray release). The only remote chance of that happening is if NISA picks it up.
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Sweet for Penguindrum. I have have one request...for the love of god please no Steve Foster Crying or Very sad
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Come on damn it, pick up Betrayal Knows My Name, 07-Ghost, Monochrome Factor, and Saint Beast.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:01 pm Reply with quote
@DivinKing: Agreed:

@Vata: NO.

Anywho really glad Penquindrum finally got picked-up being wanting to get a Blu-Ray of that for quite some time now. Man between this & KOTS Sentai is really getting some quality titles, I APPROVE! Cool
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
@Vata: NO.

Don't you NO ME. If men can get their ecchi and fan service, I want my anime brought over.
Altacia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I'd love UraBoku also but, I have pretty much given up on any company releasing it here.

Anyways, Glad to see the company who has Penguindrum has finally came out and said it. NIS said someone had it quite a while ago..

Glad it's Sentai and not Aniplex. Wink

Vata, I wonder if you're the one who posted on many of the Anime Companies Facebook pages requesting pretty much that same list.. Laughing
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:25 pm Reply with quote
The headline should be "BREAKING: Sentai Filmworks Finally Licenses Something Worthwhile (Penguindrum)".

I was sort of hoping Funimation would get it, because I'm uncertain about Sentai dubs (a lot of ADV alumn... a lot of bad ADV alumn), whereas I'm a little more confident in Funimation. But oh well.

News is still fabulous max.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Great to see Ninja Scroll rescued. I wonder if Sentai will license-rescue the TV series from Urban Vision. Razz

I'm really starting to love Sentai. They've come a long way from when they were a broke, emerged anime company releasing cheap sub-only DVDs. Anime hyper
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

Altacia wrote:
Glad it's Sentai and not Aniplex. Wink

Yes, yes, one million times, yes. You're not putting your stinking, price-gouging mitts on these babies, Anisux!
Vata Raven

Altacia wrote:
I'd love UraBoku also but, I have pretty much given up on any company releasing it here.

It was on the 2012 poll for Funimation, along with World's Greatest Lover. I doubt Funimation will bring it over, but it has enough people to them to think about it. That's why I think Sentai would.
Tenbyakugon

YES!!! Tegami Bachi!!! <33333
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Mawaru Penguindrum sweet I hope they dub it and Letter Bee
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12