• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Now HERE'S a poll that might interest tempest & Dan42!

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How often do you click on ads on ANN?
Once every session! (multiple sessions throughout day)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Once Every Day
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
3-4 Times Per Week
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Once Every Week
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Once or Twice a Month
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Maybe Half a Dozen Times Per Year (if that)
16%
 16%  [ 7 ]
I don't. I mean it; I really don't.
53%
 53%  [ 23 ]
I don't keep track.
11%
 11%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 43

Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, ANN. I have adblockers on my home computer (that I don't feel like adding exceptions for), so I never see 'em here. And once I bought a subscription, I selected to have them removed entirely. There was one time one of the ads made the anti-virus software at work give a warning (yes, I do like to periodically check on the site while at work). So to err on the side of caution I just remove it overall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Some ads are only accessible from certain IP addresses, however.
How does that work, exactly?
The Lost Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:53 am Reply with quote
I click them, then they take me to amazon and I get confused. Amazon don't ship to Australia?

I expected more people to click them seeing as they are advertising something generally relevant to your interests.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:41 am Reply with quote
It depends on the seller, but some of them do ship internationally.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
How does that work, exactly?

I don't know how many -- if any -- current ads on ANN still check the country of origin of user's IP address, but there had been a long time when every FUNimation ad would redirect me forcibly to the corporate info page of Navarre -- not even bothered explaining why I was redirected there (tried using proxy to access those ads successfully). I guess the situation has changed after Navarre selling FUNi but I haven't tested each new ad yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
The banner ads here are often for anime sales... why not click them if they interest you?

As a subscriber I have a couple other options though. I can completely get rid of the banner ads, or if a certain ad provider seems to never give you relevant ads there's an option to get rid of just that provider. I did that with one ad group. "Gorilla Media" or something like that, I forget exactly what they were always putting up- maybe they were the ones that were constantly giving Scott Walker political ads, but I clicked the "No more ads from..." link and haven't had a problem since.

Currently the ad provider I'm getting stuff from now often doesn't actually display an ad. So that's good too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2