• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Rurouni Kenshin Film Licensed in 60+ Countries

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:04 am Reply with quote
Well, if it hits the US, I'd gratefully drive 4 hours to see it. Oh, yes, I would... and I would have to... in order to see it. I'd make a day out of it and would love it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:02 am Reply with quote
Tochiro wrote:
Saw it on the weekend and strongly feel that its the best live-action adaptation of an anime/manga that Japan made to date (other honourable mentions being Gantz, Yamato and Death Note)

Pretty low bar. Very Happy

Tochiro wrote:

Takeru Sato utterly MAILED the role though. I was skeptical going in but came out pretty impressed.

Nailed? Laughing
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:15 am Reply with quote
While I can see Spain as "Europe", I am afraid Kenshin will have a direct-to-DVD release, at it happened with Yamato, etc.
Tochiro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Tochiro wrote:
Saw it on the weekend and strongly feel that its the best live-action adaptation of an anime/manga that Japan made to date (other honourable mentions being Gantz, Yamato and Death Note)

Pretty low bar. Very Happy

Tochiro wrote:

Takeru Sato utterly MAILED the role though. I was skeptical going in but came out pretty impressed.

Nailed? Laughing

Yes , nailed, sorry.
Low bar? Compared to previous efforts like Devil Man and Cutey Honey?
Besides which, Gantz was a pretty damn good adaptation IMO!
ScarredSwordHeart

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
I will be bitterly disappointed if the USA doesn't get it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aynslesa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:45 am Reply with quote
So...can I assume by the fact that it isn't explicitly mentioned that the United States is *not* one of the release countries?

And if this is true... why not?! This is Rurouni Kenshin!

Hey, US...in case you were wondering... NORTH AMERICAN FANS WANT THIS MOVIE TOO!
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Aynslesa wrote:
Hey, US...in case you were wondering... NORTH AMERICAN FANS WANT THIS MOVIE TOO!

One problem that might explain why the US isn't mentioned is that the USA is seen as a lucrative box office market, a "holy grail" if you will. This happened with Battle Royale and alot of Anime back in the day, where the Japanese IP holders would ask for stupid money in licensing fees. I don't know if the US market is even a major factor nowadays, but given how the Japanese IP holders are steadfastly against change, I wouldn't put it past it that this might be one, if not a major reason.
GinkoArt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I could definitely see Viz Pictures, Viz Media's Live Action Distributor, obtaining this film & putting it out for a home video release.

Plus a good portion of the films that Viz Pictures owns such as the Death Note trilogy, Honey & Clover, Love*Com, Nana 1+2, Etc, Viz Media holds the manga rights to.
Setsura1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I would be fine with a straight to dvd release...if it happened anywhere in the near future! I need to see this movie now! I just read the latest Rurouni Kenshin One-Shot that takes place 5-7 days before he arrives in Tokyo and meets Kaoru and it got me pumped even more!
Son Gokou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this will come to the Philippines after Warner Bros PH saying no about it. Well there was a report that it will according to Movie Punch.

http://www.otakultura.com/wish-granted-rurouni-kenshin-film-gets-ph-release.html#.UEa68rLiYRm

Anyway to ANN/whoever wrote this article, you mentioned Asia particularly Taiwan...so was Philippines included?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2