• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: NANA GN 15

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beryl7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
have never heard anybody use the verb “to be bummed” as frequently as these characters do, nor have I ever heard anyone say “preggers” instead of “pregnant” before.

While I myself have never heard the former slang phrase, I have heard the term "preggers" used a couple times, either on TV or in actual conversation. Why, I don't know, but it's certainly not the weirdest slang term out there.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Good to know the series is still going on strong. I'll need to dust off my books and catch up...[/i]
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I thought Casey would hate it, especially since it's become more misogynist as of late.
bikerevolution

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually impressed that they use so much of the slang that me and my hipster/dyke friends use. "Preggers" is totally in my vocabulary.
Axe-336

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Preggers is definitely a term people use. Not a lot maybe... I'm going to ask people at my work place if they use it or they know people who do. And anyway, it's supposed to be a fantasy experience of knowing the lives of people like this, so vocabulary is part of that fantasy. It'd be like asking a fantasy writer to use plain English when they can use fanciful flourish, or a zombie movie without some good one-liners.
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote
I guess the slang is all in where you grow up. To be bummed is used a lot where I live. Preggers to us though is something people just say on TV.

I love NANA, and it just keeps getting better.
nargun

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:58 am Reply with quote
Sounds like it's being translated into a dialect of english that isn't your own.

I can't imagine what that must feel like, says nargun, native speaker of australian english.
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:42 am Reply with quote
Ugh, glad to see someone else point out the awful slang in Viz version of this. I was re-reading some of the earlier volumes, and was starting to get disgusted with all the 'As ifs!' 'Whatever, girlfriends' and the constant use of 'dude'
The slang is bad enough that I'm going to buy all the volumes, but read the scanlations of it, since there's not a hint of slang to be found there.
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Ugh, glad to see someone else point out the awful slang in Viz version of this. I was re-reading some of the earlier volumes, and was starting to get disgusted with all the 'As ifs!' 'Whatever, girlfriends' and the constant use of 'dude'
The slang is bad enough that I'm going to buy all the volumes, but read the scanlations of it, since there's not a hint of slang to be found there.

I actually lost the will to keep buying the NANA manga because I hated all of the slang being used - it made all of the characters seem so artificial.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:22 am Reply with quote
Yeah all the slang in Nana can get sort of distracting. "Whatever dude!" "Lame-o!" "Like, I'm soo sure!" "He was totally bummed" Sometimes Viz makes weird word choices...
At least 90s slang is slightly better than the "golly"s and "gee"s said by Ayu in Honey and Clover. Who says golly anymore?
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Feels more English-english than a lot of Viz stuff. Preggers is definitely in common usage here, albeit in a knowingly silly kind of way. It didn't grate on me the way most localised translations do.

-Pips-
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1